* Cygwin Xwin Windows 10 Trend Micro
@ 2016-08-06  5:26 Paul McKinley
From: Paul McKinley @ 2016-08-06  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just upgraded to Windows 10 via fresh install, including a fresh install
of Cygwin.  I use Trend Micro antivirus.
I had issues with the dash postinstall rebase operation which would hang,
but figured out that it would work if I temporarily disabled Trend Micro.
I couldn't get the X windows to work, not even with the entire Cygwin
directory set to exempt in Trend Micro.
So I did a support chat session with Trend Micro.  They said to set the
"Pause User Mode Hooking" - which works.  You get to this setting by running
the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit, it's under the "Threats" tab.  They also
recommended a hotfix, see
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-s
ecurity/1112161.aspx  but that didn't help.

This issue has been sent to Trend Micro engineering for resolution.
Supposedly.

Meantime if you're having issues running Cygwin Xwin with Trend Micro
installed, try enabling the "Pause User Mode Hooking" solution above.

Hope this helps someone....

Paul McKinley

* Re: Cygwin Xwin Windows 10 Trend Micro
@ 2016-08-14  1:52   ` Brian Kuhn
From: Brian Kuhn @ 2016-08-14  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul_McKinley_2013, cygwin

Fixing my top-post.  Sorry.

@ 2016-08-13 22:18 ` Brian Kuhn
From: Brian Kuhn @ 2016-08-13 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul_McKinley_2013, cygwin

Thanks, Paul.  I have been dealing with something somewhat similar, in
which one of Trend Micro's enterprise products is preventing Emacs
from linking to its DLLs.  Still working with the IT group to see
exactly what we need to open up to get past that.  Fingers crossed
that updates will address it.....

Brian

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Paul McKinley
<paul_mckinley_2013@ariesinternet.com> wrote:
> Trend Micro support called me back about this issue.  I spent some time with
> them on the phone, with the support engineer trying a few things.  We ended
> up with a reinstall of the
> https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/maximum-s
> ecurity/1112161.aspx hotfix, after which Cygwin-X runs fine, WITHOUT having
> the pause user mode checking turned on.  The support engineer mentioned
> something about an update coming out *after* my previous post.   Apparently
> I needed both the update and the hotfix to make things work.
>
> Hope this helps someone...
> Paul McKinley
>

> --

Brian Kuhn