* Questions!
@ 2001-07-13 12:28 Rafael Avalos Pelayo
From: Rafael Avalos Pelayo @ 2001-07-13 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Friends:

I would like to know if with this new version there are support for fifos
(named pipes), I mean mkfifo funtion is available?

Thank you in advanced.

Sincerely,

Rafael Avalos

* Re: Questions!
@ 2001-07-13 14:02 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-13 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 02:28:55PM -0500, Rafael Avalos Pelayo wrote:
> Dear Friends:
>
> I would like to know if with this new version there are support for fifos
> (named pipes), I mean mkfifo funtion is available?

There have been plans to implement named pipes since more than
two years. Robert Collins was working on sth. in the first quarter
but it's really tricky stuff since they aren't implemented at all
in 9x/ME and they are implemented way different from POSIX in NT/W2K.

So the answer is "no" for the next Cygwin release.

Just so that nobody forgets it: Patches gratefully accepted.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Questions!
@ 2001-07-13 20:44   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-07-13 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

I have/had them fully funtional, but had problems with fork(). At that point
I didn't know enough about what cygwin fork did, and now I don't have the
time to pick it up again.

I'm happy to dust off what I have if someone wants to pick it up and run
with it.

Rob

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 02:28:55PM -0500, Rafael Avalos Pelayo wrote:
> > Dear Friends:
> >
> > I would like to know if with this new version there are support for
fifos
> > (named pipes), I mean mkfifo funtion is available?
>
> There have been plans to implement named pipes since more than
> two years. Robert Collins was working on sth. in the first quarter
> but it's really tricky stuff since they aren't implemented at all
> in 9x/ME and they are implemented way different from POSIX in NT/W2K.
>
> So the answer is "no" for the next Cygwin release.
>
> Just so that nobody forgets it: Patches gratefully accepted.
>
> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
> Red Hat, Inc.
>
> --

* RE: Questions ?
@ 2001-06-04 15:02 Lamb, Ronald F.
From: Lamb, Ronald F. @ 2001-06-04 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Hey, guys, I'm new to CYGWIN. I want to be able to write KornShell in Unix
> and port it to DOS and run it there. How do I do that with Cygwin ? I have
> already downloaded the setup.exe utility. I will appreciate it !!

Most of the time bash, which is included with cygwin works just as well
as Korn shell.  However, if your script uses some ksh specific items then
you will also need to install pdksh.  You can get the source code from
the following web page.

http://www.cs.mun.ca/~michael/pdksh/

Ron

* Re: Questions ?
@ 2001-06-04 14:32 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-06-04 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

jose.moreno@bankofamerica.com schrieb am 2001-06-04, 16:18:

> Hey, guys, I'm new to CYGWIN. I want to be able to write KornShell in Unix
> and port it to DOS and run it there. How do I do that with Cygwin ? I have
> already downloaded the setup.exe utility. I will appreciate it !!

Double-Click the setup.exe and follow the instructions.

-gph

--
=^..^=

* Questions ?
@ 2001-06-04 13:14 jose.moreno
From: jose.moreno @ 2001-06-04 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey, guys, I'm new to CYGWIN. I want to be able to write KornShell in Unix
and port it to DOS and run it there. How do I do that with Cygwin ? I have
already downloaded the setup.exe utility. I will appreciate it !!

Thanks !!
jm