* coreutils-5.3.0-8: lost *.exe
@ 2005-07-12 16:58 fergus
From: fergus @ 2005-07-12 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fergus

> Why did you do it?

Slightly bemused, I'll treat the question seriously.
Using setup.exe, the upgrade was offered, presumably through setup.ini.
There it is (timestamp 1121177436): coreutils 5.3.0-8, replacing 5.3.0-7.

Fergus

* RE: coreutils-5.3.0-8: lost *.exe
@ 2005-07-12 17:20 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-12 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Jon A. Lambert @ 2005-07-12 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:
>> From: fergus
>>> Why did you do it?
>>

>  That point being, "If it aint broke, don't fix it".  You asked what
> was the best thing you could have done or could do in future to avoid
> this kind of problem; my answer is this:
>

>  If you aren't under some pressing and *urgent* need to upgrade a
> package because you vitally need a bugfix or new feature, DON'T!
> You're on a hiding to nothing if you do; nothing to gain, because
> you've already got what you want from the package; lots to lose,
> because sometimes upgrades are buggy. Leave the new releases alone
> for a few days after they've been announced and see if problems crop
> up!  The only benefit is a warm fuzzy feeling of having the very
> latest version.  That's not worth risking the costs!

I have coreutils-5.2.1-5 sitting here in my releases directory but setup
won't let me select it.  How the heck do I get back to a working version
of coreutils.

* Hack: fixing broken coreutils install (Was Re: coreutils-5.3.0-8:  lost *.exe)
@ 2005-07-12 20:26     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon A. Lambert; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> I have coreutils-5.2.1-5 sitting here in my releases directory but setup
> won't let me select it.  How the heck do I get back to a working version
> of coreutils.

You should at least be able to select the "prev" version (which is
5.2.1-5).  If you want to get back to 5.3.0-7, the simplest workaround is
"cp coreutils-5.3.0-7.tar.bz2 coreutils-5.3.0-8.tar.bz2" and reinstall
5.3.0-8.  Stay tuned for 5.3.0-9.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: coreutils-5.3.0-8: lost *.exe
@ 2005-07-13  9:21   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-13  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Joel Rubin @ 2005-07-12 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:30:56 +0100, fergus
<fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net> wrote:

>I have just upgraded to coreutils-5.3.0-8 and I find hat I have lost cp,
>ls, md5sum executables to name just a few. Windows Explorer shows that
>these no longer exist in /bin/. Anything I can or should do, or should
>have done differently? Nothing has altered in my setup methods: I used
>Cygwin setup in the usual way.

coreutils-5.3.0-8.tar.bz is f*cked up - it (and it seems to be the
same on two Cygwin mirrors) is a 6180 byte web page from comcast.net.
If you install it, all your coreutil progies will be uninstalled
period.

Since the source code file is around the normal size, I assume this
was unintentional.

@ 2005-07-12 17:23     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-12 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2005-07-12 16:48 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-12 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I have just upgraded to coreutils-5.3.0-8 and I find hat I have lost cp,
> ls, md5sum executables to name just a few. Windows Explorer shows that
> these no longer exist in /bin/. Anything I can or should do, or should
> have done differently?

  Well, I think the first thing you should have done differently is, before
you even began, asked yourself "Why am I doing this?" (upgrading your
coreutils, that s).

  Why did you do it?

     cheers,
      DaveK