From: Ken Whitesell <KenWhitesell@comcast.net>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin/X with Win10 display scaling corrupting font display of typed characters - Issue identified
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:02:14 -0500	[thread overview]

On 1/17/2022 1:29 PM, Ken Whitesell wrote:
> Problem: When moving an XTerm window from the primary display to the
> second monitor, characters typed into that window are "clipped" at the
> top. Only about the bottom 75% is drawn. No lower-case letters taller
> than the "half-height" letters render properly. (Letters such as "a",
> "c", "m", "n", etc are all rendered correctly. All capital letters and
> tall lower-case letters (e.g. "b" and "d") have the top quarter
> clipped off. Additionally the XTerm window shows thin black bars on
> the right side of the window and along the bottom of the window.
>
> The bash prompt and most all characters displayed as the result of the
> output of a command all display correctly - this is *primarily*
> affecting characters being typed, and before the "enter" key is
> pressed. (There is one special case regarding displayed characters. If
> a program is creating a full screen of output, such as "man", the top
> line of the screen is clipped.)
>
> If the window is in the primary display when the characters are typed,
> and then the window is moved to the second monitor, the
> previously-typed characters remain correctly formed, and only new
> characters typed while the window is in the second monitor are clipped.
>
> Environment: The primary display is the laptop's built-in display
> (1920x1080, 17"). The second monitor is a 27" also at 1920x1080.
> Operating system is Windows 10, with all current patches and updates.
> (Ver reports Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1466]). XWin server
> is being started with this command line:
>
> E:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "cd; exec
> /usr/bin/startxwin -- -listen tcp"
>
> Additional info: This appears to be related to using the display
> "Scaling" option, where the laptop's display is set at 125% and the
> external monitor's display is set at 100%. If I set both displays the
> same - either both at 100% _or_ both at 125%, the problem does not
> appear.
>
> If I change the scaling from 125% to 100% on the laptop's display, the
> problem appears until I restart Cygwin/X. Restarting Cygwin/X shows it
> displaying properly, until I change the scaling again.
>
> Note: XTerm is _not_ the only program that exhibits this behavior.
> This is consistent among all applications tried, including geany,
> hexedit, mate-terminal, and lxterminal. (The visual behavior is
> slightly different for "full screen" application such as geany and
> hexedit, but it's still apparent that some clipping is occurring with
> characters being typed.)
>
> Other version information: Cygwin setup version 2.915, packages
> showing as up-to-date include xterm 370-1, xinit 1.4.1-1, xorg-server
> 21.1.3-1, xorg-x11-fonts-* 7.5-4. (Unsure what other information may
> be useful.)
>
> I've tried searching the message archives, going back through 2018 and
> have not seen anything that appears relevant. Other searches haven't
> [...]
After more research and experimentation, it appears to be related to one
of xorg-server, xorg-server-common, or xorg-server-xorg.

Installing the older version 1.20.12-1 of these packages allows the
windows to be moved between monitors without any issues. Upgrading to
the current version 21.1.3-1 creates the problems. I'm able to replicate
this behavior on two different laptops with two different external monitors.