* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Setup.exe Updated
@ 2001-11-02 11:13 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-02 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The long awaited setup.exe update has occured.

This new version has several key features.
1) A new view exists - categories - that will show packages in
categories.
2) All dependencies of a package are automatically installed when
installing a package. I.e. if you install gcc, binutils is automatically
installed.
3) The local cache directory is remembered from run to run.
4) New packages are not automatically installed. Only packages in the
"base" category, and packages which you already have installed on your
system will get installed.

The setup.ini to drive this is already present on all the mirror sites.
To update your setup.exe, just click on "Install Cygwin Now" on the
cygwin.com home page.

Bug reports and general discussion to cygwin@cygwin.com or
cygwin-apps@cygwin.com.

Thank you very much to the contributors that helped this happen.

Rob

* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Setup.exe Updated
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Setup.exe Updated
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Robert Mecklenburg
From: Robert Mecklenburg @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

RC> The long awaited setup.exe update has occured.

Thank you for this excellent upgrade!  A trivial observation: when I
got to the package selection dialog (I don't know it's official name)
the text on the "View" button was corrupted (i.e., pixels scrambled).
Clicking it refreshed properly and fix the problem.

Question 1: The dialog box which offers to create an short cut and
menu item has the boxes checked by default.  I've run previous
versions of the setup tool many times (twice a week since the tool was
released!) and always unchecked these boxes, but setup doesn't seem to
remember my choice.  I would swear that others in my organization
using the tool have these boxes unchecked (presumably because it
remembered their previous choice).  So, I'm asking about the intended
behavior - should setup remember the previous checked/unchecked status
of the create short cut and create menu item boxes?

Question 2: Would it make sense to have setup's source code downloadable
from the setup tool?  (Obviously, it would make less, no?, sense to be
able to download setup.exe itself.)

Robert

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Setup.exe Updated
@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Mecklenburg wrote:
> released!) and always unchecked these boxes, but setup doesn't seem to
> remember my choice.  I would swear that others in my organization

That is the reason it keeps asking - setup is not currently designed to
remember your response but bases its default on whether the links exist or not.
 Of course if you create the startmenu link and then move it on your start menu
then the next time you run setup it will default to creating the link again -
because the link is not where setup thinks it should be.

From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Mecklenburg, cygwin

> RC> The long awaited setup.exe update has occured.
>
> Thank you for this excellent upgrade!  A trivial observation: when I
> got to the package selection dialog (I don't know it's official name)
> the text on the "View" button was corrupted (i.e., pixels scrambled).
> Clicking it refreshed properly and fix the problem.

Thats a known bug - discussed here about a week ago during the testing
spree. Patches gratefully accepted. (The scrambling is windows
'highlighting' the button).

> Question 1: The dialog box which offers to create an short cut and
> menu item has the boxes checked by default.  I've run previous
> versions of the setup tool many times (twice a week since the tool was
> released!) and always unchecked these boxes, but setup doesn't seem to
> remember my choice.  I would swear that others in my organization
> using the tool have these boxes unchecked (presumably because it
> remembered their previous choice).  So, I'm asking about the intended
> behavior - should setup remember the previous checked/unchecked status
> of the create short cut and create menu item boxes?

It should default to off, but I think the change from Cygnus to Cygwin
has confused it. Let it have it's way, and then it should be happy in
the future :}.

> Question 2: Would it make sense to have setup's source code
downloadable
> from the setup tool?  (Obviously, it would make less, no?, sense to be
> able to download setup.exe itself.)

The source is available as part of the "cygwin-src" tarball. It won't
build very happily outside that source tree, so having a separate
download doesn't make sense. In the future, when we can associate binary
packages with source tarballs, we will make such a link for convenience.

Rob