* Re: exim and ntsec
       [not found] <20020709212222.DLEV8262.rwcrmhc52.attbi.com@rwcrwbc56>
@ 2002-07-10  1:15 ` Corwin
From: Corwin @ 2002-07-10  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Pierre A. Humblet

I made a complete reinstallation of Cygwin on my machine and it works well
now ...
I really have no idea why it did not before !!!
Anyway, I think this was not an exim related problem, rather a problem in my
cygwin installation (it was an old installation I updated reguliarly through
the cygwin setup but I am not sure this way is the best to keep an up to
date consistent cygwin system ;o)

Thanks a lot for your help and for your work on exim and qpopper ;o)

Best regards

Thomas

> could you send me your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files?
>
> Pierre
> > Thanks for your answer Pierre ..
> > Here is my exim.log when I try to run it from service.

> > CYGWIN = "ntsec". Root / mapped to F:\cygwin.
> > Starting uid 18 gid 18
> > root_uid 1001 exim_uid 1001 exim_gid 513
> > Exim version 4.04 uid=18 gid=18 pid=2508 L=834cd8 D=fff7577f
> > probably GDBM (native mode)
> > Exim has no root privilege: uid=18 gid=18 euid=18 egid=18
> > changed uid/gid: forcing real = effective
> >   uid=18 gid=18
> >   auxiliary group list: 0
> > LOG: MAIN PANIC DIE
> >   Exim configuration file /usr/local/exim/configure has the wrong owner,
> > group, or mode
> > search_tidyup called

> > I really don't understand, as you can see owner and group id are SYSTEM.
> > Permissions on configure are as follow:

> > -rw-r--r--    1 18       18          21262 Jul  2 11:58 configure

> > Owned by SYSTEM, readable/writable by SYSTEM and readable only for
others.

> > Here it is .. I'm looking further to check out what's wrong ... This may
be
> > also a CYGWIN permission problem... (This is not the first  problem I
have
> > when using ntsec with a domain user)
> >
> > Thanks again ..
> >
> > Thomas

__
> > ifrance.com, l'email gratuit le plus complet de l'Internet !
> > vos emails depuis un navigateur, en POP3, sur Minitel, sur le WAP...
> > http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/email.emailif

[-- Attachment #2: passwd --]

Everyone:*:0:0:,S-1-1-0::
SYSTEM:*:18:18:,S-1-5-18::
Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
Administrator:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:500:513:U-LEFEUVREWK2\Administrator,S-1-5-21-1002003342-404370699-376655119-500:/home/Administrator:/bin/bash
Guest:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:501:513:U-LEFEUVREWK2\Guest,S-1-5-21-1002003342-404370699-376655119-501:/home/Guest:/bin/bash
TLEFEUVRE:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:11467:10513:Thomas Lefeuvre,U-GILSONFR\TLEFEUVRE,S-1-5-21-137782453-1448163031-619646970-1467:/home/tlefeuvre:/bin/bash

* Re: exim and ntsec
@ 2002-07-07 23:49 ` Corwin
From: Corwin @ 2002-07-07 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Pierre A. Humblet

Thanks for your answer Pierre ..
Here is my exim.log when I try to run it from service.
CYGWIN = "ntsec". Root / mapped to F:\cygwin.
Starting uid 18 gid 18
root_uid 1001 exim_uid 1001 exim_gid 513
Exim version 4.04 uid=18 gid=18 pid=2508 L=834cd8 D=fff7577f
probably GDBM (native mode)
Exim has no root privilege: uid=18 gid=18 euid=18 egid=18
changed uid/gid: forcing real = effective
  uid=18 gid=18
  auxiliary group list: 0
LOG: MAIN PANIC DIE
  Exim configuration file /usr/local/exim/configure has the wrong owner,
group, or mode
search_tidyup called
I really don't understand, as you can see owner and group id are SYSTEM.
Permissions on configure are as follow:
-rw-r--r--    1 18       18          21262 Jul  2 11:58 configure
Owned by SYSTEM, readable/writable by SYSTEM and readable only for others.

Here it is .. I'm looking further to check out what's wrong ... This may be
also a CYGWIN permission problem... (This is not the first  problem I have
when using ntsec with a domain user)

Thanks again ..

Thomas

> "Corwin" <Cygwin at ifrance dot com> wrote
>
> >Forgive my lack of knowledge. I saw the Exim has no root privilege
message
> >but what I can't explain (And I am sure you can) is why I got the same
> >message when launching exim with ntsec disabled and why It is working
well
> >then ...
>
> Thomas
>
> I don't see this message without ntsec! Running without ntsec is all
> you need if you don't need to setuid to access directories and to set
> permissions.
> To run under ntsec, start exim from cygrunsrv. It is coded to recognize
> uid 18.
> If you have problems, add the arguments -c -d (in cygrunsrv -I..  -a
"...")
> and look at the debug output in /var/log/exim.log, in addition to the
> logfiles.
>
> I assume you fixed the permissions problems of configure (previous
messages).
> With ntsec it must be owned by SYSTEM and other users cannot have write
> access.
>
> Pierre
>
> P.S.: Please cc me on this, I don't subscribe to the list.
>
> --

* Re: exim and ntsec
@ 2002-07-05 20:38 Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 2002-07-05 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-05  7:02       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-07-05  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 03:35:01PM +0200, Corwin wrote:
> Thanks Corinna,
> Forgive my lack of knowledge. I saw the Exim has no root privilege message
> but what I can't explain (And I am sure you can) is why I got the same
> message when launching exim with ntsec disabled and why It is working well
> then ...

No, I can't explain that w/o having seen the sources.

> Anyway, I will look into the source code ...

That's actually the best you can do.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: exim and ntsec
@ 2002-07-05  6:52     ` Corwin

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-07-05  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] <Pine.CYG.4.44.0207032126470.844-100000@toos>
@ 2002-07-05  1:25 ` Corwin
From: Corwin @ 2002-07-05  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Still no luck ....
I tried several permission settings and owner but no way ...
With configure owned by SYSTEM with full rights exim -d gives me the
following:

$exim -d
Exim version 4.04 uid=11467 gid=10513 pid=1668 L=834cd8 D=fff7577f
probably GDBM (native mode)
Exim has no root privilege: uid=11467 gid=10513 euid=11467 egid=10513
changed uid/gid: forcing real = effective
  uid=11467 gid=10513
  auxiliary group list: 0 11363 11428 10513 544 545
LOG: MAIN PANIC DIE
  failed to open configuration file /usr/local/exim/configure
search_tidyup called

and

$exim -bd -q15m
2002-07-05 10:04:56 failed to open configuration file
/usr/local/exim/configure

With configure still owned by SYSTEM but permission settings set to 744, I
got

$exim -d
Exim version 4.04 uid=11467 gid=10513 pid=2500 L=834cd8 D=fff7577f
probably GDBM (native mode)
Exim has no root privilege: uid=11467 gid=10513 euid=11467 egid=10513
changed uid/gid: forcing real = effective
  uid=11467 gid=10513
  auxiliary group list: 0 11363 11428 10513 544 545
Reset TZ to EST5EDT4,M4.1.0/2,M10.5.0/2: time is 2002-07-05 04:04:13
exim: debugging permission denied

and

$exim -bd -q15m
exim: permission denied