* RE: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 19:03 DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2003-09-23 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Peter M Aarestad said
[-snip-]
> Now, every single time I read in a line, I get this warning

> ./genguimapdoc.pl line 60, <GUIFILE> line n.
>
> However, I do NOT get this warning using ActiveState Perl,
> and the script works fine! Is this thus a bug in Cygwin's Perl build?
[-/snip-]

Speaking of builds, can you please specify which version of perl you are
using under Cygwin and which version of ActiveState Perl you are using?

Also, if you run your script with ActiveState using the '-w' modifier
does it give you the same error you get with Cygwin perl?

-Jason

* Re: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-24  7:55       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-09-24  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter M Aarestad; +Cc: cygwin

Hallo Peter,

Am Mittwoch, 24. September 2003 um 01:55 schriebst du:

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>> # Variables used in loop
>> my $screen = "";
>> my $fldname = "";

> Changing my script to this and using "export PERLIO=crlf" got rid of all
> the warnings for me.  I didn't know the latter, so thanks for teaching
> me something new today! :)

crlf is one PERLIO layer which does LF -> CR/LF conversion on
generated outputs and CR/LF -> LF on inputs.  But use with care, there
were bugs and nasty side effects (e.g. outfiles with CR/CR/LF) and I'm
not sure that all problems were fixed.

More about PERLIO in the docs: e.g. `perldoc perlio`.

You may want to use Unix line endings only for your input, that is get
rid of all CRs in your data files.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-24  2:12     ` Peter M Aarestad
From: Peter M Aarestad @ 2003-09-24  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase, cygwin

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> # Variables used in loop
> my $screen = "";
> my $fldname = "";

Changing my script to this and using "export PERLIO=crlf" got rid of all
the warnings for me.  I didn't know the latter, so thanks for teaching
me something new today! :)

-peter

--
Peter M Aarestad
aarestad@netzero.net

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
     -Thomas Jefferson

* RE: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 22:26 Peter M Aarestad
From: Peter M Aarestad @ 2003-09-23 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

-- "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest@ftb.com> wrote:

> Great job!  This seems to fix it under Cygwin perl 5.8.0-5, but I still
> get errors using ActiveState Perl for Windows.  Which probably means
> (unless Peter cannot get this fix working under Cygwin) that we should
> take it off the list.

Interesting. I'm checking my email on the run right now and will look at this later tonight to see if I can recreate this (I have a similar setup at home, only on WinXP instead of WinNT). Thanks for your quick answers, all.

-peter

* Re: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 20:48   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-09-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Pechtchanski

Igor schrieb:

> $screen was uninitialized.  Changing it to 'my $screen = ""' eliminates
> the warnings in the simpler script.
>         Igor

Both are not initialized (the third was not used anyway, so I deleted
it.

# Variables used in loop
my $screen = "";
my $fldname = "";

But still what I wrote earlier (but did not arrive at the list), this line:

AACE_1."ADDR LINE1":

or this one:
AACE_1.CITY_0:

will not be matched with this regex: /^(\w+):$/)
Quotes and points are usually not in words included.

So I'm getting this output (when saving in Unix line ending format):

$ ./testgui.pl
Screen name: AACE_1
Start of block
(ignored)
(ignored)
(ignored)
End of block
Start of block
(ignored)
(ignored)
End of block
(ignored)
Start of block
(ignored)
ID for field : 734
End of block
[...]

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 20:46   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-09-23 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Pechtchanski; +Cc: Peter M Aarestad, cygwin

Igor,

> $screen was uninitialized.  Changing it to 'my $screen = ""' eliminates
> the warnings in the simpler script.

But that was only half the problem, try the following, save it in DOS
Format with CR/LF line endings and run the script, then save it in Unix
Format with LF line endings and run again, see the difference?

To work around this feature if you need to `export PERLIO=crlf` when you
want to use crlf files.  Hmmm, this is ugly...I'll need think about it a
little longer now.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 20:41 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-09-23 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter M Aarestad; +Cc: jrdepriest, cygwin

Hello,

do `export PERLIO=crlf` before running the script, or save it without
DOS line endings.

Other problems:

This line:
AACE_1."ADDR LINE1":

or this:

@ 2003-09-23 20:12 DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2003-09-23 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Igor Pechtchanski said
> Peter,
>
> $screen was uninitialized.  Changing it to 'my $screen = ""'
> eliminates
> the warnings in the simpler script.
> 	Igor
> --

Igor,

Great job!  This seems to fix it under Cygwin perl 5.8.0-5, but I still
get errors using ActiveState Perl for Windows.  Which probably means
(unless Peter cannot get this fix working under Cygwin) that we should
take it off the list.

You are too fast... I had narrowed it down to that particular elsif, but
hadn't caught the problem yet...

-Jason

* RE: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 19:53 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-23 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter M Aarestad; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Peter M Aarestad wrote:

> -- "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest@ftb.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you provide a simple but complete script and data source that
> > recreate your error?
>
> This is too weird. I've stripped down my script to its roots, but now
> I'm getting warnings with ActivePerl too! This time, I'm getting
> warnings on every line with a colon in it, and just those lines, though
> Cygwin's perl is still reporting an error on every line Odd. Anyway,
> please find attached the stripped down script and the test file. I'm
> including the full version of the script, too ("genguimapdoc.pl" is the
> full version). Thanks much!
>
> -peter

Peter,

$screen was uninitialized.  Changing it to 'my $screen = ""' eliminates
the warnings in the simpler script.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 19:45 Peter M Aarestad
From: Peter M Aarestad @ 2003-09-23 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jrdepriest; +Cc: cygwin

-- "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest@ftb.com> wrote:

> Can you provide a simple but complete script and data source that
> recreate your error?

This is too weird. I've stripped down my script to its roots, but now I'm getting warnings with ActivePerl too! This time, I'm getting warnings on every line with a colon in it, and just those lines, though Cygwin's perl is still reporting an error on every line Odd. Anyway, please find attached the stripped down script and the test file. I'm including the full version of the script, too ("genguimapdoc.pl" is the full version). Thanks much!

-peter

Peter Aarestad
aarestad@netzero.net
Law of Software Envelopment:
Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.
- Jamie Zawinski

[-- Attachment #2: genguimapdoc.pl --]

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use warnings;
use strict;
use CGI qw(:standard *table);

# Location of screen/field description file
my $screenflddescpath = "descriptions.txt";

open SCREENFLDDESC, $screenflddescpath
    or die "cannot find screen description file: $!";

my %screenflddesc;

while (<SCREENFLDDESC>) {
    chomp;
    my ($key, $desc) = split /,/;
    $screenflddesc{$key} = $desc;
}

close SCREENFLDDESC;

# Location of index file we will write results to
my $indexfile = ">screenindex.html";
open INDEX, $indexfile or die "cannot open index for writing: $!";

# Location of master GUI file
my $guipath = "Master.gui";
# my $guipath = "Master.gui.test";

open GUIFILE, $guipath or die "cannot find Master.gui: $!";

# Start our index file
print INDEX start_html("GUI Map Index"), "\n";
print INDEX h1("GUI Map Index"), "\n";
print INDEX "Click on a screen name below to go to its description page",
    br, "\n";
print INDEX hr, "\n";

# Flag to let us know if we're inside a description block
my $desc = 0;

# Current file name
my $currfile = "";

# Variables used in loop
my $screen;
my $screenname;
my $fldname;

while (<GUIFILE>) {
    chomp;

    # print "Line: $_\n";

    # Outside description block with no ".": Screen name
    # (or quoted name without following ".")
    # (Regex was originally /^([^.]+):$/)

    if (!$desc and /^(\w+):$/) {
        # print "Screen name: $1\n";

        # Save original version of name (possibly w/ quotes),
        # and strip away quotes (if present)
        $screen = $1;
        ($screenname = $screen) =~ tr/"//d;
        # Use the first 4 characters as the file name, replacing bad
        # characters with _
        (my $screenfilename = substr $screenname, 0, 4) =~ tr[ /][_];

        # If the current file doesn't have this name, finish it up
        # and open a new file
        if ($. == 1 or $currfile ne $screenfilename) {
            if ($. != 1) {
                print SCREEN end_table, end_html;
                close SCREEN;
            }
            # Some exceptions where we want the link name to be the
            # 4-letter file name
            my $sn = "";
            if ($screenname =~ /^(AACE|AM01|MOAC|WADV)/) {
                $sn = $screenfilename;
            } else {
                $sn = $screenname;
            }
            # Print a line to the index pointing to the new file to be
            # created
            print INDEX a({-href => "screens/$screenfilename.html"},
                          $sn), br, "\n";

            # Open a new screen file based on this screen name
            $currfile = $screenfilename;
            open SCREEN, ">screens/$screenfilename.html"
                or die "cannot create screens/$screenfilename.html: $!";
            print SCREEN start_html("Description of $screenname"), "\n";
            print SCREEN a({-href => "../screenindex.html"}, "Back"), "\n";
        } else {
            # Just close the previous table
            print SCREEN end_table, "\n";
            print SCREEN hr, "\n";
        }

        print SCREEN h1($screenname), "\n";
        print SCREEN h2("Description:"), "\n";
        if (defined $screenflddesc{$screenname}) {
            print SCREEN $screenflddesc{$screenname}, br, "\n";
        } else {
            print SCREEN "(No description)", br, "\n";
        }
        print SCREEN h2("Fields:"), "\n";
        print SCREEN start_table({-border => 1}), "\n";
        print SCREEN Tr(td(b("Field name")), td(b("Description")),
                        td(b("Location (row, column)"))), "\n";
    } elsif (/^\{$/) {
        # Start of a description block
        # print "Start of block\n";
        $desc = 1;
    } elsif (/^\}$/) {
        # End of a description block
        # print "End of block\n";
        $desc = 0;
    } elsif (!$desc and /^"?$screen"?\.(.+):/) {
        # print "Field name: $1\n";

        # Strip quotes from field name
        ($fldname = $1) =~ tr/"//d;
    } elsif ($desc and /^\s*id:\s*(\d+)$/) {
        # print "ID for field $fldname: $1\n";

        # The ID for the particular field
        # Get X and Y locations: X = int $id/80 + 1, Y = $id % 80 (or
        # 80 if $id % 80 == 0)
        my $xloc = int (($1/80) + 1);
        my $yloc = $1 % 80;
        if ($yloc == 0) {
            $yloc = 80;
        }
        # Get the description for this field (if it exists)
        my $key = $screenname . "." . $fldname;
        my $flddesc;
        if (defined ($screenflddesc{$key})) {
            $flddesc = $screenflddesc{$key};
        } else {
            $flddesc = "(No description)";
        }
        # Print row describing this field
        print SCREEN Tr(td($fldname), td($flddesc), td("Row $xloc, Column $yloc")), "\n";
    } else {
        # print "(ignored)\n";
    }
} # end while <GUIFILE>
print INDEX end_html;

close GUIFILE;
close INDEX;

[-- Attachment #3: Master.gui.test --]

AACE_1:
{
 class: mic_if_win,
 label: "!AACE.*",
 mic_if_handles_windows: 1
}
{
 rtree_state: close,
 ltree_state: close
}
AACE_1."ADDR LINE1":
{
 class: field,
 id: 734
}
AACE_1."ADDR LINE2":
{
 class: field,
 id: 814
}
AACE_1.CITY_0:
{
 class: field,
 id: 888
}
AACE_1."HOME PHN":
{
 class: field,
 id: 944
}
AACE_1.NAME:
{
 class: field,
 id: 327
}
AACE_1.ST:
{
 class: field,
 id: 912
}
AACE_1.ZIP:
{
 class: field,
 id: 921
}
AACE_2:
{
 class: mic_if_win,
 label: screen32651,
 mic_if_handles_windows: 1
}
{
 rtree_state: close,
 ltree_state: close
}
AACE_2."ACQUISITION STRATEGY CODE":
{
 class: field,
 id: 1270
}
AACE_2."AUTO PAY ACCOUNT CODE":
{
 class: field,
 id: 1514
}
AACE_2."CLIENT PRODUCT ID":
{
 class: field,
 id: 553
}
AACE_2."CYCLE CODE":
{
 class: field,
 id: 834
}
AACE_2."DISCLOSURE GROUP":
{
 class: field,
 id: 1308
}
AACE_2."EMPLOYEE TYPE":
{
 class: field,
 id: 635
}
AACE_2."MINIMUM PAYMENT":
{
 class: field,
 id: 1392
}
AACE_2."PROVIDER 1":
{
 class: field,
 id: 430
}
AACE_2."SECURITIZATION POOL ID":
{
 class: field,
 id: 1110
}
AACE_2."TSYS PRODUCT CODE":
{
 class: field,
 id: 714
}

[-- Attachment #4: testgui.pl --]

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use warnings;
use strict;

# Location of master GUI file
my $guipath = "Master.gui.test";
open GUIFILE, $guipath or die $!;

my $desc = 0;

# Current file name
my $currfile = "";

# Variables used in loop
my $screen;
my $screenname;
my $fldname;

while (<GUIFILE>) {
    chomp;

    if (!$desc and /^(\w+):$/) {
        print "Screen name: $1\n";
    } elsif (/^\{$/) {

@ 2003-09-23 19:32 DePriest, Jason R.
From: DePriest, Jason R. @ 2003-09-23 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Peter M Aarestad said
[-snip-]
> perl -w works fine for ActivePerl - no warnings. Plus, my
> script uses the "warnings" and "strict" pragmas.
[-/snip-]

Peter,

Can you provide a simple but complete script and data source that
recreate your error?
I don't know what the data you are parsing is supposed to look like so I
am having trouble coming up with something that gives me the error you
are talking about.
Also, I don't know what your variables are set to.

Thanks!
-Jason

* RE: Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 19:15 Peter M Aarestad
From: Peter M Aarestad @ 2003-09-23 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jrdepriest; +Cc: cygwin

-- "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest@ftb.com> wrote:

> Speaking of builds, can you please specify which version of perl you are
> using under Cygwin and which version of ActiveState Perl you are using?

According to setup.exe, I have cygwin 1.5.5-1 and perl 5.8.0-5 installed. My version of ActiveState Perl is 5.8.0 build 806 (just downloaded today to test this anomaly out). FWIW, I'm running everything on an NT4 SP6 machine.

> Also, if you run your script with ActiveState using the '-w' modifier
> does it give you the same error you get with Cygwin perl?

perl -w works fine for ActivePerl - no warnings. Plus, my script uses the "warnings" and "strict" pragmas.

Thanks,
-peter

Peter Aarestad
aarestad@netzero.net
Law of Software Envelopment:
Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.
- Jamie Zawinski

* Problem with perl distro?
@ 2003-09-23 18:55 Peter M Aarestad
From: Peter M Aarestad @ 2003-09-23 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a script that I noticed was giving me problems with the Cygwin version of Perl when I ran it, but the same script works fine with the AcitveState version of Perl. The key lines of the main loop look like this:

while (<GUIFILE>) {
    chomp;

    if (!$desc and /^(\w+):$/) { # warning line
        # ...
    } elsif (/^\{$/) {
        # ...
    } elsif (/^\}$/) {
        # ...
    } elsif (!$desc and /^"?$screen"?\.(.+):/) {
        # ...
    } elsif ($desc and /^\s*id:\s*(\d+)$/) {
        # ...
    } else {
        # ...
    }
} # end while <GUIFILE>

Now, every single time I read in a line, I get this warning

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./genguimapdoc.pl line 60, <GUIFILE> line n.