Am 24.01.19 um 17:36 schrieb Corinna Vinschen: >> If an admin can lock out an account (separately from disabling it >> entirely), say, by setting an initial password, checking the "user must >> change password on first login", and also checking "user is not allowed >> to change password" simultaneously (if that's possible), or, say, by >> just setting a random password without telling it to anyone ever, >> followed by firing so many login attempts at the account that it gets >> locked out, then telling them apart and treating locked out accounts >> differently would make sense, IMO. > This description sounds extremly artificial to me. > We should work under > the assumption that the admin is the good guy. Uh, where did I imply anything else? > Usually a user locks > itself out, or is locked out by a malicious login attempt. The admin > can only define rules for locking out, other than that she can only > remove the "account locked" flag. The methods listed above, well, at least the "brute force" one, would work for intentionally creating an account that is locked out, but not disabled - as a good guy admin. And the reason for doing so would be the same as running "passwd -l username" on Linux - You don't want your users to log in with a password, because you consider that too insecure - instead, you want them to use the (hopefully passphrase-protected) SSH key file. Kind Regards, Stefan Baur -- BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt) Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364 Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243