* why doesn't setup.exe install everything?
@ 2001-12-18 19:19 dean gaudet
From: dean gaudet @ 2001-12-18 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

in the past it was trivial to do a full install.  now it appears to be a
royal pain in the ass -- i have to click every package and guess what
version i should be installing (the UI doesn't really make it obvious what
versions i should be installing).

a search for "full install" on this mailing list gets 1089 matches.  one
of the first indicates that "there's a solution somewhere in the mail
archives".  but that's not much of a help, having to randomly guess search
terms doesn't seem very friendly.

could someone please update the FAQ?  and/or fix setup.exe?

or point me at an older setup.exe which works?

thanks for an otherwise excellent product though, win2k isn't useable
without it.

-dean

* why doesn't setup.exe install everything?
@ 2001-12-19  3:56 ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2001-12-19  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dean gaudet; +Cc: cygwin

On Tuesday 18 Dec 01, dean gaudet writes:
> in the past it was trivial to do a full install.  now it appears to be a
> royal pain in the ass -- i have to click every package and guess what
> version i should be installing (the UI doesn't really make it obvious what
> versions i should be installing).

Click the upper right button to get the "full" view and you don't have
to muck around with the categories.  Then simply scroll down and click
all "skip" icons twice to install the current version (the version
will be displayed).  Indeed, a PITA, but only a lot of clicking the
first time you run setup.  Thereafter, in full view, you just have to
look for "skips" from new packages.  The ones that are currently
installed will be updated by default from now on.

> could someone please update the FAQ?  and/or fix setup.exe?

I'll do the former, but the latter is already underway.  If the latter
doesn't happen fast enough for your taste, you could help.

Regards,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)

* Re: why doesn't setup.exe install everything?
@ 2001-12-19  4:53   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-12-19  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, dean gaudet; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-12-21  6:58 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2001-12-21  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Tuesday 18 Dec 01, dean gaudet writes:
> > in the past it was trivial to do a full install.  now it
> appears to be a
> > royal pain in the ass -- i have to click every package and
> guess what
> > version i should be installing (the UI doesn't really make
> it obvious what
> > versions i should be installing).
>
> Click the upper right button to get the "full" view and you don't have
> to muck around with the categories.  Then simply scroll down and click
> all "skip" icons twice to install the current version (the version
> will be displayed).

The only pitfall in this is that you must not ALWAYS click twice, but
sometimes only ONCE. I don't remember which package was concerned but it was
related to the abscence of a source package (either because the package you
want to install IS a source package itself or because there is no sense in
one source package, because it does not contain anything but redirections).

> Indeed, a PITA, but only a lot of clicking the
> first time you run setup.  Thereafter, in full view, you just have to
> look for "skips" from new packages.  The ones that are currently
> installed will be updated by default from now on.

OK but its VERY simple to miss a "Skip" in a bunch of "Keep"s ;-(

> > could someone please update the FAQ?  and/or fix setup.exe?
>
> I'll do the former, but the latter is already underway.  If the latter
> doesn't happen fast enough for your taste, you could help.
>
> Regards,
> David
> (Cygwin FAQ maintainer)

Bernard Dautrevaux