* WTF?
@ 2001-03-16  0:32 Frans Rossouw
From: Frans Rossouw @ 2001-03-16  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

Hey all

has anyone seen something like this before?

$ gcc -o win32-error win32-error.c
win32-error.c:8: windows.h: No such file or directory

I would be worried about this if the include statement was
#include "windows.h"
but it's
#include <windows.h>

HUH?

Frans Rossouw
(+2711) 712-1404
Icq# 103978846

* RE: WTF?!
@ 2001-09-20  9:23 Churchill, Dan  (MN65)
From: Churchill, Dan  (MN65) @ 2001-09-20  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Cristopher, why dont just you stop reading those posts which actually
> dont tend to be good enough for you ? I think if point 1 applies to
> you then you are not being paid to read the mailing lists too
> - are you
> ?
> So "silly" mails are easily to be recognized - you can just pass them
> by.

Chris, you are obviously a _very_ intelligent programmer/person in general
(I have been reading the list for several weeks now).  No one would complain
if you restricted yourself to only answering questions that require your
knowledge, either as a developer of Cygwin or as a list maintainer.  This is
a public list with lots of other readers who are not anywhere near your
level of knowledge of this project, but who are intelligent enough to field
questions that have obvious (to you, but not to everybody) answers.

If I ask a question of a list, I expect to get an answer or not.  If not, I
assume no one has information for me and I'll look elsewhere.  I would only
expect to be badgered for asking a question if I repeatedly sent the same
thing over and over, i.e. if I *insisted* on having an answer from the list.
Caustic put-downs are an excellent way to drive people away from using
Cygwin at all, more than a few of whom could make a positive contribution,
if not to the actual code base, then to answering the questions of new users
that would otherwise suck all your time away from the important work you do.
I do appreciate your frustration with people who can't open the readme files
and figure out their own problems, and who are only in search of a quick
fix, but there are going to be some (Windows) users (of Visual SourceSafe)
who don't even know what a CVS is, let alone how to use it.

I appreciate the work that Chris and all the other developer's do on this
list and on Cygwin.  This list is a great resource and I think that someone
who needs to have a question answered and doesn't have the option of
spending hours or days tracking down the source of a problem should be able
to post in search of someone who's already solved their problem without
being flamed out the door.

Just my $.02 worth.  I'm sure I'll hear about it.

-Dan

* Re: Binutils and GCC
@ 2001-09-18  8:46 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-18  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 11:47:20PM -0700, Doug Johnson wrote:
>I am having a similar experience.  I built a cross compiling gcc for
>W98->MIPS last week using 1.3.2.  Today I rebuilt my system from bare
>metal to run W2K.  Everything else is fine, but I cannot compile
>binutils using 1.3.3.  I get the same error that David is getting.
>
>I have tried to revert to 1.3.2, but that doesn't work because for some
>reason setup now believes that the cygwin package should be
>cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.bz2 (rather than cygwin-1.3.2-1.tar.gz, which is
>what I have from my previous install).
>
>So I'm kind of toast for the moment.  Any guidance would be helpful.

It is just C source code we're talking about, right?  You have an editor?
Look at the place where the errors are coming from and make an
educated guess about fixing it.

What is the worse that can happen?  If you screw up do you think that
this will cause gcc to subtly miscompile your code so that all of the
add instructions are turned into sub instructions or something?  That's
not going to happen.

You are all programmers right?  Inspect the code.  Invest five minutes
worth of analysis into the problem.

If this is too tough for you, try removing the offending file from the
makefile or building from CVS sources.

I can't believe that there are three messages on this subject from people
who are apparently programmers without one suggested fix.

cgf

>Thanks.
>
>Doug Johnson
>
>Jason Kajita  wrote:
>
>>David T. Schneider" <dschneider at socsolutions dot com> wrote:
>>... When I try to build the tools to compile ARM code on CygWin
>>following the direction supplied for building ecos I get:
>>/usr/src/binutils-2.10.1/libiberty/strerror.c:461: conflicting types for
>>`sys_errlist'
>>/usr/include/sys/errno.h:23: previous declaration of `sys_errlist'
>>when the make reaches /usr/src/binutils-2.10.1/libiberty/strerror.c
>>
>>I've also tried performing a native build for gcc-2.95.3 and gcc-3.0.1
>>and get the same error.  ...

cgf@cygnus.com                        Red Hat, Inc.
http://sources.redhat.com/            http://www.redhat.com/

[parent not found: <003c01c0adf4$f7777340$db011fac@fer.ucs.co.za>]
* WTF?!
@ 1998-01-17 13:14 Andrew Dolphin
From: Andrew Dolphin @ 1998-01-17 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Who the hell put me on this list?  I never sent anything to anyone at
this address asking to be put on it!

  Andy Dolphin
  andy@dolphin.astro.washington.edu
-