* Re: Mixing Unix and WIN32?
@ 1998-10-19 10:34 Randy Campbell
From: Randy Campbell @ 1998-10-19 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM, gnu-win32

>> things that the gnu compiler apparently doesn't know
>>  about:
>>      - like __asm.
>which gnu compiler, which binutils...

I downloaded Beta 1.9 about three weeks ago.  I don't know how to tell the
exact version, since the package doesn't include a "what" command.

>Mumit Khan's egcs-1.1 binary has done an excellent job, but the modified
>binutils which come with it have given me trouble with asm().  I fixed that
by
>installing binutils-2.9.1 on top of egcs.

I'll give those a try.  I've seen quite a few links to egcs, but where do I
find
binutils 2.9.1?

Thanks,
Randy

-

* Re: Mixing Unix and WIN32?
@ 1998-10-20  8:56 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1998-10-20  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Campbell; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Randy Campbell wrote:

> I'll give those a try.  I've seen quite a few links to egcs, but where do I
> find
> binutils 2.9.1?

After installing egcs-1.1, which includes a newer snapshot of binutils, you
can overwrite the binutils stuff with the older 2.9.1 distribution (and
that *will* add some bugs that's been fixed since) from:

  ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/releases/

Mumit

-

* Re: Mixing Unix and WIN32?
@ 1998-10-23 21:27   ` Jari Aalto+list.cyg
From: Jari Aalto+list.cyg @ 1998-10-23 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

|Tue 1998-10-20 Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.edu> list.cyg
| On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Randy Campbell wrote:
|

| > I'll give those a try.  I've seen quite a few links to egcs, but where do I
| > find
| > binutils 2.9.1?
|
| After installing egcs-1.1, which includes a newer snapshot of binutils, you
| can overwrite the binutils stuff with the older 2.9.1 distribution (and
| that *will* add some bugs that's been fixed since) from:
|
|   ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/cygwin32/releases/

Isn't the warning about winzip outdated by now when winzip 7.0
can natively handle tar and gz files?

    3. INSTALL EGCS-1.1:

       a. If you have the whole file egcs-1.1-cygb19.tar.gz

          % cd $CYGFS
          % tar zxvf /tmp/egcs-1.1-cygb19.tar.gz

          !! WARNING: DO NOT USE WINZIP OR SOME SUCH WINDOWS TOOL TO UNPACK !!

jari
-

* RE: Mixing Unix and WIN32?
@ 1998-10-24 10:45     ` Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 1998-10-24 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problem is symbolic links. Even though WinZip understands gzip
compression and tar files, there is no way that is universal to all Windows
platforms (95/98/NT) for it to deal with symbolic links. (It's my
understanding that NT has soft-link capability, though).

If (and only if) the tar file was created on a Windows platform where
symlinks are simply a file with specific contents and the system attribute
set, then WinZip will properly store/restore symbolic links. I do this all
the time. If, however, the tar file is created on a Unix platform and
contains symbolic links, then I believe that WinZip just skips them when
extracting the tar file.

That's my take on it, anyway. Hope it helps.

--
Rick Rankin
rrankin@primenet.com

-

* Re: Mixing Unix and WIN32?
@ 1998-10-24 14:41     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1998-10-24 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23 Oct 1998 jari.aalto@poboxes.com wrote:

> Isn't the warning about winzip outdated by now when winzip 7.0
> can natively handle tar and gz files?
>
>     3. INSTALL EGCS-1.1:
>
>        a. If you have the whole file egcs-1.1-cygb19.tar.gz
>
>           % cd $CYGFS
>           % tar zxvf /tmp/egcs-1.1-cygb19.tar.gz
>
>           !! WARNING: DO NOT USE WINZIP OR SOME SUCH WINDOWS TOOL TO UNPACK !!

Quite possibly yes, but I don't have time to respond to tons of messages
from folks using older version which screws up hard links etc.

This is free software and users are free to do what they want (such as
typing in the bytes using a editor ;-); I just don't want bug reports
on installation glitches when using an unsupported method.

Regards,
Mumit

-

* Re: Mixing Unix and WIN32?
@ 1998-10-20  8:46 Randy Campbell
From: Randy Campbell @ 1998-10-20  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: N8TM, gnu-win32

Well, I had an epiphany on this problem yesterday: use Microsoft's compiler.

I realized that a major difference in U/WIN is that it uses the Microsoft
compiler.  So I went into my makefile, set "CC = cl", made a few other
tweaks to account for different option syntax, and... it built!

So it appears that using the CygWIN environment and cygwinb19.dll in
combination
with the MS compiler may be a more workable approach to mixed development.

Thanks for the help,
Randy

-

* Re: Mixing Unix and WIN32?
@ 1998-10-17  8:30 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 1998-10-17  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: randyc, gnu-win32

@ 1998-10-16 17:16 Randy Campbell
From: Randy Campbell @ 1998-10-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Why doesn't this work?

I am trying to build a toy applicatin to prove that I can do this in
CygWIN32.
(so far, I can't).

It's an RPC-based program, so it needs to access WIN32 headers and
libraries.

It keeps stumbling over things that the gnu compiler apparently doesn't know
about:
    - like __asm.   OK, I worked around that (I think)
     - like __try:    The IDL compiler (midl) puts exception handling in the
stub code
            it generates, using, e.g. a macro name RpcTryFinally, which is
defined
            in rpc.h to "__try {".  This comes up as an undefined reference.

I'm doing comparative evaluations, and this stuff just builds snicker-snack,
as my
old prof used to say, in U/WIN.

Why can't I get it to work in CygWIN32?  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Randy

-