* RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-09  0:12 Jean-Michel POURE
From: Jean-Michel POURE @ 2002-01-09  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all,

I am working on an RPM installer class for PHP. My application works only for
Linux and I would like to offer support for $W. Please do not flame me this
time.

Has anyone successfully ported RPM to Cygwin? Please note this is not for
Cygwin installation itself.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-09  0:33 ` Rue. SATOH
From: Rue. SATOH @ 2002-01-09  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

jm.poure> Has anyone successfully ported RPM to Cygwin? Please note this is not for
jm.poure> Cygwin installation itself.

I had ported RPM 3.0.6 to Cygwin.
Please see http://www.sixnine.net/cygwin/.

I have been managing cygwin packages from Cygwin 1.1, but no trouble
in my life with this rpm.exe.
--
Rue. SATOH

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-09  8:04 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-01-09  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Michel POURE; +Cc: cygwin

Jean-Michel,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:12:22AM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Has anyone successfully ported RPM to Cygwin?

See the following for my 4.0.2 experiences and patch:

Jason

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-11  2:02   ` Jean-Michel POURE
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jean-Michel POURE @ 2002-01-11  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jason Tishler

Le Mercredi 9 Janvier 2002 17:08, vous avez écrit :
> Jean-Michel,
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:12:22AM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> See the following for my 4.0.2 experiences and patch:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-07/msg00949.html
> Jason

Dear Jason,

Are there technical problems for not including RPM in the standard Cygwin
packages? Again, I will not be using Cygwin for Cygwin installation itself.
But it will be of great help for other projects, including mine.

This would be so fine to just type rpm --rebuild package_name.src.rpm to
compile under Cygwin. Or rpm -ba spec_name to generate packages after
modifying the specs.

@ 2002-01-11  2:16     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-11  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jm.poure, cygwin; +Cc: Jason Tishler

No one has offered to be a package maintainer for Bezerkly db (a
pre-requisite) or rpm.

Rob

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-11  4:22     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-01-11  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Michel POURE; +Cc: cygwin

Jean-Michel,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 10:51:38AM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Mercredi 9 Janvier 2002 17:08, vous avez écrit :
> > On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:12:22AM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > See the following for my 4.0.2 experiences and patch:
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-07/msg00949.html
>
> Are there technical problems for not including RPM in the standard Cygwin
> packages?

No, as Rob has already indicated, someone just has to do the work for db
and rpm.  Sorry, I don't have that itch -- do you?

Jason

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-11  8:17     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-01-11  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jm.poure; +Cc: cygwin, Jason Tishler

Please search the mailing list archives (cygwin and cygwin-apps) where
the RPM issue has been ENDLESSLY discussed.  You will discover, among
other things, that we have repeatedly said "somebody needs to
port/maintain/contribute the package" and "(ditto) db".

Then we ask "Do you want to volunteer?"

Then we get silence.

--Chuck

@ 2002-01-11  8:21       ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-01-11  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, I just want to know - what's the thing that prevented the db
package from being ported so long ? Is it extremly difficulk or it's
just a matter of no one having the time/interest of doing it ?

I may be interested in maintaing this package but what some details
first :)

@ 2002-01-11  8:41       ` Jean-Michel POURE
From: Jean-Michel POURE @ 2002-01-11  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin, Jason Tishler

Le Vendredi 11 Janvier 2002 17:10, Charles Wilson a écrit :
> Please search the mailing list archives (cygwin and cygwin-apps) where
> the RPM issue has been ENDLESSLY discussed.  You will discover, among
> other things, that we have repeatedly said "somebody needs to
> port/maintain/contribute the package" and "(ditto) db".
> Then we ask "Do you want to volunteer?"

I see your point.

The problem is that I am already working on two projects :
- converting PHP classes and applications to an integrated
framework of RPM ready-to-use files. I need help on the RPM side at $W.
- building an open source global Home Location Registry
(HLR) and VLR databases for future i802.11a applications. This has nothing to
do with RPM.

I am too busy to maintain RPM under $W. Can anyone help? I feel like Windows
has no future...

@ 2002-01-11  9:13         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-01-11  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jm.poure; +Cc: cygwin, Jason Tishler

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Le Vendredi 11 Janvier 2002 17:10, Charles Wilson a écrit :
>
>>Please search the mailing list archives (cygwin and cygwin-apps) where
>>the RPM issue has been ENDLESSLY discussed.  You will discover, among
>>other things, that we have repeatedly said "somebody needs to
>>port/maintain/contribute the package" and "(ditto) db".
>>Then we ask "Do you want to volunteer?"
>>

> I see your point.
>
> The problem is that I am already working on two projects :
> - converting PHP classes and applications to an integrated
> framework of RPM ready-to-use files. I need help on the RPM side at $W.
> - building an open source global Home Location Registry
> (HLR) and VLR databases for future i802.11a applications. This has nothing to
> do with RPM.
>
> I am too busy to maintain RPM under $W.

Yep, that's pretty much what I expected.

> Can anyone help? I feel like Windows
> has no future...

Overly dramatic much?

I mean, long term, of course you are correct.  In 4B years, our sun will
explode and cook everything on earth -- and by then even MS will be extinct.

db mostly builds -- as a static lib -- OOB.  I've already ported
db-2.7.7 and 3.1.x so that it builds as a DLL and made that available on
my website and to the various people who get excited about RPM...who
then dissappear.

I'm not too keen on supporting something -- when even the "excited"
users aren't motivated enough to take a PRE-EXISTING port and just
maintain the damn thing.

Geez -- I even ported rpm and provided it on my website.

Dunno anything about db-4.x.  (Oh, and given the lack of testing, there
may be unresolved binary/text mount issues with my ports of db and/or rpm)

It's not windows that has no future -- it's the level of participation
of people who want rpm that will trend to zero.  Cynical theory:  Anyone
who wants a cygwin port of rpm will not ever become an active
contributor nor participate in cygwin development.  Anyone who complains
about setup.exe "reinventing the wheel" by using .tar.bz2 distribution
formats instead of rpm/dpkg will whine bitterly for a week, and then
dissappear -- and perhaps pop up with a new sourceforge project that
will purport to provide "cygwin with rpm" that is an incomplete version
of our platform.  Further this cygwin-rpm-sourceforge project will die
in less than six months -- but will lead to endless questions on our
mailing list about this deviant and unsupported "distribution".  (Yes,
it's happened at least twice already).

Sorry if that seems bitter -- but I've observed the pattern : new
poster, rpm -- WAY too many times to just shrug it off.

--Chuck

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-11  9:19           ` Jean-Michel POURE
From: Jean-Michel POURE @ 2002-01-11  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin, Jason Tishler

Le Vendredi 11 Janvier 2002 18:04, Charles Wilson a écrit :
> It's not windows that has no future -- it's the level of participation
> of people who want rpm that will trend to zero.

I also noticed it when working on the Windows PostgreSQL administration
interface called pgAdmin (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org). There are 2000 to
4000 downloads a day, but we are only three contributors. This makes a lot of
work for us... We asked for help and got not one single reply.

On the converse, some guy announced the release of a pre-pre-pre beta version
of some Gnome application doing basically the same thing. The day after he
had 20 contributors.

Cygwin case is in the middle : people are trying to bring Windows to the
Linux and Unix paradize. This is hard.

Believe me, the problem is not with personal involvement. There are 300.000
Linux developpers and somehow 80.000 Linux ongoing projects. Noone can stop
this storm.

This is because Linux users have a sence of commitment and believe in
Freedom. What Windows user see is just " OK, it's free, so I wron't need to
pay ". Linux user look at the same thing and say " Whoo, fantastic, This Is
Freedom ".

I will contact you off-the-list to explain this Php project. It is big and
interesting...

Best regards,
Jean-Michel

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-11 10:11         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-01-11 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Tsekov; +Cc: cygwin

 Pavel,

2002-01-11 18:39:43, du schriebst:

> Well, I just want to know - what's the thing that prevented the db
> package from being ported so long ? Is it extremly difficulk or it's
> just a matter of no one having the time/interest of doing it ?

> I may be interested in maintaing this package but what some details
> first :)

Great, there are existing ports to start with, or start with 4.x series,
I have it up and running here with shared libs, no problems so far (but
I use only binmode mounts on NT).  The problems are with textmode
mounts, FAT filesystems which needs investigation and a lots of testing.

db-4.0 builds OOB with static libs and it is no issue to create a .dll
from a shared lib with:
gcc -shared -o cyg${module}.dll -Wl,--out-implib=lib${module}.dll.a -Wl,--export-all-symbols -Wl,--enable-auto-import -Wl,--whole-archive $old_lib -Wl,--no-whole-archive ${dependency_libs}

I use it every day.  Instead of -Wl,--whole-archive $old_lib you can
also take the single objects list to build a .dll.

What will last a 'little' longer is testing and debugging and patching
to get it run on Win98 with the FAT fs and to make it useable on
textmode mounts.

Take a look at an existing port and what was done there:
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/pc/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Wilson_Charles_S/michael-ring/

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-11 15:50           ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-01-11 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Pavel Tsekov

Hallo Gerrit,

Am 2002-01-11 um 18:59 schriebst du:

>  Pavel,

> 2002-01-11 18:39:43, du schriebst:

>> Well, I just want to know - what's the thing that prevented the db
>> package from being ported so long ? Is it extremly difficulk or it's
>> just a matter of no one having the time/interest of doing it ?

>> I may be interested in maintaing this package but what some details
>> first :)

> Great, there are existing ports to start with, or start with 4.x series,
> I have it up and running here with shared libs, no problems so far (but
> I use only binmode mounts on NT).  The problems are with textmode
> mounts, FAT filesystems which needs investigation and a lots of testing.

> db-4.0 builds OOB with static libs and it is no issue to create a .dll
> from a shared lib with:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nonono, from a static lib, to create a shared lib you need the static lib
or at least the object files.

--
=^..^=                                        mailto:gp@familiehaase.de

* Re: RPM installer needed for my PHP project
@ 2002-01-13  4:25             ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-13  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jm.poure, Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin, Jason Tishler

If it's running on cygwin, I wouldn't object to it being discussed here.

Rob

I will contact you off-the-list to explain this Php project. It is big
and
interesting...

* Re: OK to mention if it runs on cygwin
@ 2002-01-13  8:41               ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2002-01-13  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin, Jason Tishler

Robert Collins wrote:

> If it's running on cygwin, I wouldn't object to it being discussed here.
>
> Rob

I'm sure others will object to my seizing upon your opening.  I got struct running on cygwin yesterday, which demonstrates a significant improvement in Unix compatibility on cygwin.  I have tried many times before, but this time it was no different from setting it up for linux.  struct is an old Unix version 6 program which translates dirty old Fortran into a structured Fortran-compatible form which resembles C (ratfor).  Ratfor can in turn be translated to g77 with indentation, using all the f90 extensions to avoid goto's.  If anyone has suggestions about how to translate my associated lex pre-processor to flex, I'd be grateful.

--
Tim Prince
tprince@computer.org

* Re: OK to mention if it runs on cygwin
@ 2002-01-13  9:01                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-13  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 08:40:22AM -0800, Tim Prince wrote:
>Robert Collins wrote:
>>If it's running on cygwin, I wouldn't object to it being discussed here.
>>
>I'm sure others will object to my seizing upon your opening.  I got struct
>running on cygwin yesterday, which demonstrates a significant improvement in
>Unix compatibility on cygwin.  I have tried many times before, but this time
>it was no different from setting it up for linux.  struct is an old Unix
>version 6 program which translates dirty old Fortran into a structured
>Fortran-compatible form which resembles C (ratfor).  Ratfor can in turn be
>translated to g77 with indentation, using all the f90 extensions to avoid
>goto's.  If anyone has suggestions about how to translate my associated lex
>pre-processor to flex, I'd be grateful.

And you think that a subject like "OK to mention if it runs on cygwin" will
attract hordes of flex/lex hackers to your cause?

For the record, generic flex/lex issues *are* off-topic.  Surely you can
get help in a more appropriate mailing list (or web page or newsgroup).

cgf

* Re: OK to mention if it runs on cygwin
@ 2002-01-13  9:46                   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-01-13  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 08:40:22AM -0800, Tim Prince wrote:
>
>>Robert Collins wrote:
>>
>>>If it's running on cygwin, I wouldn't object to it being discussed here.
>>>

>>I'm sure others will object to my seizing upon your opening.  I got struct
>>running on cygwin yesterday, which demonstrates a significant improvement in
>>Unix compatibility on cygwin.  I have tried many times before, but this time
>>it was no different from setting it up for linux.  struct is an old Unix
>>version 6 program which translates dirty old Fortran into a structured
>>Fortran-compatible form which resembles C (ratfor).  Ratfor can in turn be
>>translated to g77 with indentation, using all the f90 extensions to avoid
>>goto's.  If anyone has suggestions about how to translate my associated lex
>>pre-processor to flex, I'd be grateful.
>>

> And you think that a subject like "OK to mention if it runs on cygwin" will
> attract hordes of flex/lex hackers to your cause?
>
> For the record, generic flex/lex issues *are* off-topic.  Surely you can
> get help in a more appropriate mailing list (or web page or newsgroup).

And then, one you have discovered (from that lex-specific mailing list)
that the program 'relexer' will translate your code for you, THEN you
can come back to the cygwin list and ask "has anybody had luck getting
'relexer' working under cygwin?  I just tried to build it and ....  I
checked the ml archives, and the german software mirror, but no luck"

--chuck

* Re: OK to mention if it runs on cygwin
@ 2002-01-13 12:31                 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-01-13 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince; +Cc: cygwin, Jason Tishler

===