* RE: bash-2.05a-1: OSTYPE is empty
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Troy Noble
From: Troy Noble @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Daniel Steinmann', cygwin

Instead you can safely use the following across platforms (works on Unix in
other words):

case `uname` in
   CYGWIN*) # cygwin-specific stuff here such as OSTYPE=cygwin ;->
            ;;
         *) # non-cygwin stuff here
            ;;
esac

To ease maintainability, be sure not to use CYGWIN_NT* or
CYGWIN_NT-5* if possible.  Or has that been changed now?  I
remember talk of it on the list a couple months back.

I suspect others are going to experience the same Makefile and
shell script breakage if they were relying on OSTYPE & friends.
The uname thing is more stable since it doesn't rely on any
feature of bash per se.

Troy

From: Daniel Steinmann @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Today I upgraded to bash-2.05a-1 and noticed that the variable
OSTYPE is empty. Other variables like OS are still ok. So I rolled
back to bash-2.05-8; in this version I get the expected value
'cygwin'.

Is this just my machine (Win2k prof, cygwin-1.3.5) or has anybody
else noticed the same problem?

Daniel.

From: Daniel Steinmann @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:13:32PM +0100, Mader, Alexander wrote:
> Daniel Steinmann wrote:
>
> > Today I upgraded to bash-2.05a-1 and noticed that the variable
> > OSTYPE is empty. Other variables like OS are still ok. So I rolled
> > back to bash-2.05-8; in this version I get the expected value
> > 'cygwin'.
> >
> > Is this just my machine (Win2k prof, cygwin-1.3.5) or has anybody
> > else noticed the same problem?
> >
> > Daniel.
> >

> Hallo Daniel,
>
> it seems okay with my machine (NT, todays Cygwin), see below.

However, the following is given in the ChangeLog:

x.  Bash no longer auto-exports HOSTNAME, HOSTTYPE, MACHTYPE, or OSTYPE,
    even if it assigns them default values.

Try

	set | grep OS

and these variables are still available, just not exported.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: bash-2.05a-1: OSTYPE is empty
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Mader, Alexander
From: Mader, Alexander @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Steinmann, cygwin

Daniel Steinmann wrote:

> Today I upgraded to bash-2.05a-1 and noticed that the variable
> OSTYPE is empty. Other variables like OS are still ok. So I rolled
> back to bash-2.05-8; in this version I get the expected value
> 'cygwin'.
>
> Is this just my machine (Win2k prof, cygwin-1.3.5) or has anybody
> else noticed the same problem?
>
> Daniel.

Hallo Daniel,

it seems okay with my machine (NT, todays Cygwin), see below.

Best regards,

Alexander.

$ set|grep OS
HOSTNAME=L905
HOSTTYPE=i686
OS=Windows_NT
OS2LIBPATH='C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;'
OSTYPE=cygwin

$ set|grep BASH
BASH=/usr/bin/bash
BASH_VERSINFO=([0]="2" [1]="05a" [2]="0" [3]="1" [4]="release"
[5]="i686-pc-cygwin")
BASH_VERSION='2.05a.0(1)-release'

--
Alexander Mader <alexander.mader@niles.de>	Fon: +49-30-93033-636
NILES Werkzeugmaschinen GmbH			Fax: +49-30-93033-603