TL;DR New laptop, setting up mintty configuration identical to working desktop system. When connected to one specific Debian 11 (Bullseye) system (to which I connect often from the desktop with no issues), backspace appears to send ^H, and Debian interprets ^H correctly, but the terminal display echoes a space character instead of backing up one space. Details I have mintty set to term type "mintty" and "Keys/Backarrow sends ^H". A little experimentation shows that the Debian system is correctly interpreting the backspace, only the mintty display is incorrect. I guess there are two possibilities: * Debian is echoing a blank when receiving ^H * mintty is not correctly displaying the ^H echoed by Debian Note, a local mintty session is NOT affected, backspace works fine there. Also note when I ssh to a Debian 12 system and an old CentOS 7 system I don't see this issue, and when connecting from my desktop all three systems work. I am stumped for how to troubleshoot this further. I diffed the output of "stty -a" between the non-working system and one that works. The only differences are: Working system: eol = ; eol2 = ; Non-working system: eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?; cygcheck.out attached On the Debian 11 (non-working) system: jhg@smtp ~ $ echo $TERM mintty jhg@smtp ~ $ stty -a speed 38400 baud; rows 37; columns 128; line = 0; intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?; swtch = ; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; discard = ^O; min = 1; time = 0; -parenb -parodd -cmspar cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff -iuclc ixany imaxbel iutf8 opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt echoctl echoke -flusho -extproc