* get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-06-07 18:36 Bryan Chua
From: Bryan Chua @ 2013-06-07 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just upgraded my cygwin installation to 1.7.20-1 this morning and my nfsd server no longer starts with this error in /var/log/nfsd.log

get_myaddress: ioctl: Invalid argument

Mountd has the same error but portmap starts fine.

I pulled down the source for nfs-server and only see one ioctl in nfsd.c and one in mountd.c and no references to get_myaddress.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I am not sure where to start looking.

-- bryan

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-06-13 15:07 ` Jazz
From: Jazz @ 2013-06-13 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yesterday I just did a clean installation of Cygwin 1.7.20-1 and I have
experienced exactly the same issue as you - mountd and nfsd don't start
(get_myaddress: ioctl: Invalid argument in logs). Portmap starts fine.

I tried to downgrade sunrpc, but that didn't help.

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-06-13 17:06   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-13 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 13 08:07, Jazz wrote:
> Yesterday I just did a clean installation of Cygwin 1.7.20-1 and I have
> experienced exactly the same issue as you - mountd and nfsd don't start
> (get_myaddress: ioctl: Invalid argument in logs). Portmap starts fine.
>
> I tried to downgrade sunrpc, but that didn't help.

Ouch.  This is my fault.  When I removed support for OS versions prior
to Windows XP, I accidentally removed support for applications using
ioctl on sockets built under Cygwin versions prior to Cygwin 1.7.

Now, nfs-server has no maintainer and had been built in 2006, so it's
affected by this.

I'm reluctant to revert the old functionality since that re-introduces
code to read network adapter inforation in a way only required up to
Windows XP pre-SP1.

I'm going to think a bit about this problem and try to come up with
another way to support older applications in 1.7.21 again, using only
the current functionality.

Stay tuned,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-06-14  9:40     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-14  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 13 19:06, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 13 08:07, Jazz wrote:
> > Yesterday I just did a clean installation of Cygwin 1.7.20-1 and I have
> > experienced exactly the same issue as you - mountd and nfsd don't start
> > (get_myaddress: ioctl: Invalid argument in logs). Portmap starts fine.
> >
> > I tried to downgrade sunrpc, but that didn't help.
>
> Ouch.  This is my fault.  When I removed support for OS versions prior
> to Windows XP, I accidentally removed support for applications using
> ioctl on sockets built under Cygwin versions prior to Cygwin 1.7.
>
> Now, nfs-server has no maintainer and had been built in 2006, so it's
> affected by this.
>
> I'm reluctant to revert the old functionality since that re-introduces
> code to read network adapter inforation in a way only required up to
> Windows XP pre-SP1.
>
> I'm going to think a bit about this problem and try to come up with
> another way to support older applications in 1.7.21 again, using only
> the current functionality.
>

> Stay tuned,

I implemented a solution for this problem which should give sufficent
result to support old applications.  I created a new 32 bit developer
snapshot 2013-06-14 on http://cygwin.com/snapshots/, and I uploaded
a new 64 bit test distro Cygwin release 1.7.21-3, both containing
this patch.

Please give it a try.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-06-14 19:20       ` Jazz
From: Jazz @ 2013-06-14 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It works! Thanks for your quick reaction.

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-06-14 20:16         ` Jazz
From: Jazz @ 2013-06-14 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Another problem occurred. Both services mountd and nfsd start, but after a
while they stop.

mountd.log says:
Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
mountd[8860] 06/14/113 21:57 rpcmisc.c 99 : unable to register (mountd, 1,
udp).

And nfsd.log says:
Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
nfsd[6096] 06/14/113 21:56 rpcmisc.c 99 : unable to register (nfsd, 2, udp).

Windows firewall was temporally disabled when I tested it.

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-06-17 10:19           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2013-06-17 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 14 13:16, Jazz wrote:
> Another problem occurred. Both services mountd and nfsd start, but after a
> while they stop.
>
> mountd.log says:
> Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
> mountd[8860] 06/14/113 21:57 rpcmisc.c 99 : unable to register (mountd, 1,
> udp).
>
> And nfsd.log says:
> Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
> nfsd[6096] 06/14/113 21:56 rpcmisc.c 99 : unable to register (nfsd, 2, udp).

Define "after a while".  I can't reproduce this.  In my case both
services run as long as I don't kill them.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-07-06 20:39       ` Hetti
From: Hetti @ 2013-07-06 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I implemented a solution for this problem which should give sufficent
> result to support old applications.  I created a new 32 bit developer
> snapshot 2013-06-14 on http://cygwin.com/snapshots/, and I uploaded
> a new 64 bit test distro Cygwin release 1.7.21-3, both containing
> this patch.
>
> Please give it a try.
>
> Thanks,
> Corinna

I also had the same issue. I installed the 20130703 snapshot, now everything
works fine - I did not experience any stops "after a while".

Hetti

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
@ 2013-10-30 21:14         ` soccerno16
       [not found]           ` <1385438114709-104544.post@n5.nabble.com>
From: soccerno16 @ 2013-10-30 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to report that this is still an issue with the latest release of
cygwin. (Cgywin1.dll 1.7.25)  I can confirm that the NSFD and MOUNTD
services for the nfs server will die within 10 minutes after starting.  When
i rolled back to Cygwin1.dll 1.7.18 this problem no longer exists.

* Re: get_myaddress error with nfsd
       [not found]             ` <1385483505607-104551.post@n5.nabble.com>
@ 2013-11-28  3:01               ` yfma2010
From: yfma2010 @ 2013-11-28  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

thanks for the attachment. I foud a mirror, and there are some old package .
here is it, http://ftp.eq.uc.pt/software/pc/prog/cygwin/release/cygwin/