On 23/07/2017 19:14, Brian Inglis wrote: > On 2017-07-23 11:39, mike wrote: >> On 23/07/2017 16:58, Jack wrote: >>> On 2017.07.23 08:32, mike wrote: >>>> Hi >>>> >>>> I updated my Cywin installation on the 21st or 22nd of July 2017. I run >>>> 32-bit Cygwin/X on 64-bit Win 7 Pro. If I launch the Cygwin Xwin Server I >>>> get the icon at the very top middle of the screen and can then go into the >>>> icons menu and right click on the Cygwin icon and get a list of categories of >>>> applications to run and apparently launch because if I try to launch some and >>>> wait long enough and right click on the aforementioned icon and select quit >>>> it says there are N apps running and do I want to close them. The problem is >>>> that anything I launch through the icons menu doesn't display anywhere and in >>>> particular doesn't appear in the task bar. I have read the FAQ and UG but >>>> can't find what I'm looking for. It definitely seems to me that the >>>> behaviour has changed since before I updated. >>>> >>>> Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong? I would be very grateful >>>> for any help. Thanks in advance. >>>> >>>> Mike >>> Are you sure those apps you are trying to launch are actually installed? You >>> could always bring up a Cygwin terminal (not through the X icon) and >>> explicitly "export DISPLAY=0:0" and then try to launch one of the apps from >>> the command line to see any errors. >>> >>> Jack >> All I did was download setup-x86.exe on the 21st, run it and when presented with >> the drop down View list used Pending (by default) and then clicked Next etc. If >> I switch to Up To Date when presented with the drop down View list it does >> indeed show that everything I've tried to run is installed. I must have >> hundreds of packages installed. I did that last year intentionally. I selected >> packages to install by Category and then installed the entire Categories. That's >> what I'm saying all this stuff used to just work and now it just doesn't so I'm >> either completely missing the obvious or else it really seems like something is >> wrong with my installation or the behaviour has changed. If I'm just missing >> the obvious then please just tell me where I'm going wrong. >> >> I do not want to uninstall everything and then re-install because I have no >> confidence that that will solve the problem. To repeat the Cygwin/X icon is >> there and the menu is there. The packages that I am most immediately interested >> in are the Cygwin Emacs packages which are clearly in the Up To Date list. If >> the packages aren't installed then why would they show up in the menu? If I >> look in C:\cygwin\bin I can see among others emacsclient-nox.exe, >> emacsclient-X11.exe, emacs-nox.exe and emacs-X11.exe so they're installed right? > May have run out of DLL address space. > Run "rebase-trigger full", shut down everything Cygwin, download and run > setup-x86, then check /var/log/setup.log.full for rebase problems. > I wasn't running anything Cygwin when I ran setup-x86.exe on the 21st. I've attached /var/log/setup.log.full. There is no occurrence of the word rebase. Thanks, Mike -- I *AM* a unique and special snowflake