* Re: Setup fails!
@ 2005-10-12 19:23 Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2005-10-12 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Bengtsson, cygwin

> "The procedure entry point getline could not be located in the dynamic link
> library cygwin1.dll!"

What was the title of the popup box (in other words, which
app reported this message)?

getline() is not present in 1.5.18, only in snapshots.  Did you,
perchance, install coreutils-5.90-2, which relies on a snapshot
being installed?  We would have known that had you followed
these instructions, or at least mentioned which app was in
the popup box title.

Eric Blake

* Re: Setup fails!
@ 2005-10-14 14:36 ` Kern
From: Kern @ 2005-10-14 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

in my opition you should copy the cygwin1.dll to the winnt/system32
directory.Ignore whatever the installer say there is an old dll in XXX
path

2005/10/13, Eric Blake <ericblake@comcast.net>:

> > "The procedure entry point getline could not be located in the dynamic link
> > library cygwin1.dll!"
>
> What was the title of the popup box (in other words, which
> app reported this message)?
>
> getline() is not present in 1.5.18, only in snapshots.  Did you,
> perchance, install coreutils-5.90-2, which relies on a snapshot
> being installed?  We would have known that had you followed
> these instructions, or at least mentioned which app was in
> the popup box title.
>
> > Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> --
> Eric Blake
>

> --

* Re: Setup fails!
@ 2005-10-14 14:42   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-10-14 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kern; +Cc: cygwin

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > > "The procedure entry point getline could not be located in the
> > > dynamic link library cygwin1.dll!"
> >
> > What was the title of the popup box (in other words, which
> > app reported this message)?
> >
> > getline() is not present in 1.5.18, only in snapshots.  Did you,
> > perchance, install coreutils-5.90-2, which relies on a snapshot
> > being installed?  We would have known that had you followed
> > these instructions, or at least mentioned which app was in
> > the popup box title.
> >
> > > Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> in my opition you should copy the cygwin1.dll to the winnt/system32
> directory.Ignore whatever the installer say there is an old dll in XXX
> path

Your opinion is wrong.  Not only will it make future upgrades hard, it
will also not fix the problem, since, as Eric said, this is a legitimate
message that resulted from installing an experimental version of the
coreutils package.

To reiterate: there is *NEVER*[*] any reason to copy cygwin1.dll anywhere
but the directory mounted as /bin.  Doing so will only break your Cygwin
installation.
	Igor
[*] Unless you really, REALLY, *REALLY* know what you're doing.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Setup fails!
@ 2005-10-14 14:50   ` Chris Taylor
From: Chris Taylor @ 2005-10-14 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kern wrote:
> in my opition you should copy the cygwin1.dll to the winnt/system32
> directory.Ignore whatever the installer say there is an old dll in XXX
> path

Errr.. NO!

If you want to use the cygwin1.dll that's a part of cygwin, add
cygwin\bin to your path (drive letter omitted here).
Then you just make sure and remove any cygwin1.dll's from apps you install.
That way you're always using the most up to date one, and never have a
conflict between the version cygwin has installed and what you have in
your windows directory.

Chris

--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world

* Re: Setup fails!
@ 2005-10-12 18:56 ` Chris Taylor
From: Chris Taylor @ 2005-10-12 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Bengtsson, cygwin

Roland Bengtsson wrote:
> I tried to download the latest release of cygwin as I want to use lxr for Linux.
>
> I run setup. choose a mirror and select to install the Devel category.
> The downloading seems to go fine but after a while a dialog is shown:
>
> "The procedure entry point getline could not be located in the dynamic link
> library cygwin1.dll!"
>
> I click ignore. Then after the installation I try to use make install for lxr.
> It fails with the same error dialog as the installation.
>
> Why does this fail?

See:

Come back with more info so we can help you...

Also, it's generally recommended that you do a standard installation,
and then go through setup a second time to add in the packages you want
in addition to the defaults...

Chris

* Re: Setup fails!
@ 2005-10-12 18:56 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-12 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 04:50:47PM +0000, Roland Bengtsson wrote:
>I tried to download the latest release of cygwin as I want to use lxr for Linux.
>
>I run setup. choose a mirror and select to install the Devel category.
>The downloading seems to go fine but after a while a dialog is shown:
>
>"The procedure entry point getline could not be located in the dynamic link
>library cygwin1.dll!"

You have an older version of cygwin1.dll in your path.  Delete it.

cgf

* Setup fails!
@ 2005-10-12 18:53 Roland Bengtsson