* Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
@ 2002-07-21  3:26 Phil Smith
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Phil Smith @ 2002-07-21  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.collins; +Cc: cygwin

The db-2.7.7-4 Berkeley DB was provided in Cygwin 1.3.11-3 but removed from
1.3.12.

This is unfortunate, considering that search.h, hsearch() and related APIs
are unavailable via the db-2.7.7.4 package or the developer package...

Any suggestions, short of getting it from the cygwin-1.3.12-2-src package ?

Thanks

* Re: Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
@ 2002-07-21  3:28 ` Robert Collins
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-21  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Smith; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 15:57, Phil Smith wrote:
> The db-2.7.7-4 Berkeley DB was provided in Cygwin 1.3.11-3 but removed from
> 1.3.12.
>
> This is unfortunate, considering that search.h, hsearch() and related APIs
> are unavailable via the db-2.7.7.4 package or the developer package...
>
> Any suggestions, short of getting it from the cygwin-1.3.12-2-src package ?

Yes, don't email folk direct unless they are part of an existing
conversation!

I've had zip, nada, nothing, zilch, zero to do with DB packages and the
overlapping newlib headers. So why am I the person you've emailed about
this?

Rob

* Re: Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
@ 2002-07-21  3:29 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-21  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Smith; +Cc: cygwin, Nicholas Wourms

Hallo Phil,

Am Sonntag, 21. Juli 2002 um 07:57 schriebst du:

> The db-2.7.7-4 Berkeley DB was provided in Cygwin 1.3.11-3 but removed from
> 1.3.12.

> This is unfortunate, considering that search.h, hsearch() and related APIs
> are unavailable via the db-2.7.7.4 package or the developer package...

> Any suggestions, short of getting it from the cygwin-1.3.12-2-src package ?

There will be releases of DB3 & DB4 soon.  Would that help?

Gerrit
--
"All faults& bugs are mine - Robert"
    from squid/acinclude.m4,   Sun Apr 21 05:21:21 2002

* Re: Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
@ 2002-07-21  3:36 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 05:57:59AM +0000, Phil Smith wrote:
>The db-2.7.7-4 Berkeley DB was provided in Cygwin 1.3.11-3 but removed
>from 1.3.12.

The Cygwin DLL has never exported db functions.

However, you seem to almost understand this since you are mentioning the
version of a db package that *is* available via setup.exe:

http://www.cygwin.com/packages/db2/

>This is unfortunate, considering that search.h, hsearch() and related APIs
>are unavailable via the db-2.7.7.4 package or the developer package...
>
>Any suggestions, short of getting it from the cygwin-1.3.12-2-src package ?

Run setup.exe and install it.

It's under the "Database" category.

cgf

* Re: Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-21  4:57 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-21  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Smith, robert.collins; +Cc: cygwin

--- Phil Smith <aphilsmith@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The db-2.7.7-4 Berkeley DB was provided in Cygwin 1.3.11-3 but removed
> from
> 1.3.12.

That was a packaging error, which conflicted with the existing (and
working) berkeley db distribution.

> This is unfortunate, considering that search.h, hsearch() and related
> APIs
> are unavailable via the db-2.7.7.4 package or the developer package...

The berkeley db does not provide search.h.  That is an optional extention
of the libc which is distributed with the system:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/search.h.html

Perhaps if you install "db2", "libdb2", & "libdb2-devel", you might have
better luck?  Then, as the API docs included in those packages explain, if
you want to access hsearch(), you should include <db.h>.

> Any suggestions, short of getting it from the cygwin-1.3.12-2-src
> package ?

Yes, before asking a question like this, take the time to research it!  A
search on google for hsearch() returned the following as the fifth result:

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/hsearch.html

A "clued-in" person would see that what he/she needed was db.h.  Which
packages contains db.h?  Well that person would then search the packages
at:

http://cygwin.com/packages/

He/She would then, knowing that it is a header of the berkeley db, see
that the package he/she would need is:

libdb2-devel The Sleepycat Berkeley DB Library v2 - devel

See, that wasn't so difficult, was it?

> Thanks

You're welcome!

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
@ 2002-07-21  5:46   ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-21  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> wrote:
> There will be releases of DB3 & DB4 soon.  Would that help?

No, Gerrit, it would not.  The function he seeks is already there, he's
just looking in the wrong place.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Reply-to field Was: Re: Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
@ 2002-07-21 14:30   ` Raphael
From: Raphael @ 2002-07-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

On 21 Jul 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> Yes, don't email folk direct unless they are part of an existing
> conversation!

Would be a great help if the list manager could be convinced to set a
reply-to field to the list.

* Re: Reply-to field Was: Re: Sleepy Cat Berkeley DB no longer in binary distribution
@ 2002-07-21 19:06     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 10:13:29AM +0100, Raphael wrote:
>On 21 Jul 2002, Robert Collins wrote:
>>Yes, don't email folk direct unless they are part of an existing
>>conversation!
>
>Would be a great help if the list manager could be convinced to set a
>reply-to field to the list.

Robert directly.  There is no way that setting a Reply-To would help
in that scenario.

cgf