* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-21 13:33 news
From: news @ 2002-07-21 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 21 Jul 2002, Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 08:00:48AM -0700, Randall R Schulz
> wrote:

>>When you use the "-c" option, you suppress the whole linking
>>phase. The output, regardless of its extension, is not a
>>binary executable
[snip]
> Wow, all of this traffic and Randall is the first, AFAICT,
> to notice that someone was using the -c option incorrectly.
> When I did my test case, I actually correctly did not use
> the -c option to try to create an executable and I never
> noticed the cockpit error.

The reason being that you were trying to reproduce a reported problem and failed to faithfully reproduce the conditions described.

> There are something on the order of 22 messages in this
> thread and it looks like only one person actually noticed
> the obvious problem.

So obvious that you didn't comment on it in your original response? Since yours was the first reply, you could have saved 20 of those messages by doing so.

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-21 19:33 ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]   ` <E17XOVg-0007UX-00@quimby.gnus.org>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 10:48:40AM -0700, news@garydjones.mailshell.com wrote:
>On 21 Jul 2002, Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 08:00:48AM -0700, Randall R Schulz
>> wrote:
>
>>>When you use the "-c" option, you suppress the whole linking
>>>phase. The output, regardless of its extension, is not a
>>>binary executable
>[snip]
>> Wow, all of this traffic and Randall is the first, AFAICT,
>> to notice that someone was using the -c option incorrectly.
>> When I did my test case, I actually correctly did not use
>> the -c option to try to create an executable and I never
>> noticed the cockpit error.
>
>The reason being that you were trying to reproduce a reported problem
>and failed to faithfully reproduce the conditions described.

Do you have a fun time stating the obvious?

>> There are something on the order of 22 messages in this
>> thread and it looks like only one person actually noticed
>> the obvious problem.
>
>So obvious that you didn't comment on it in your original response?
>Since yours was the first reply, you could have saved 20 of those
>messages by doing so.

I DIDN'T NOTICE the -c.  What part of "I never noticed the cockpit error"
did you have problems with?

I was commending Randall on his insight.  It didn't occur to me that this
would be taken as YA reason to continue this dead thread.

Just to make it clear: I was no different than anyone else here,
apparently.  Maybe I was missing some confusion from people who thought
that executing an object file should have created an obvious error.
However, I was taking the bug report as something specifically wrong
with gcc 3.1.1 when it was just cygwin + gcc working as it always has.

cgf

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-24 11:07   ` news
       [not found]   ` <E17XOVg-0007UX-00@quimby.gnus.org>
From: news @ 2002-07-24 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 22 Jul 2002, Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 10:48:40AM -0700,
> news@garydjones.mailshell.com wrote:
>>On 21 Jul 2002, Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> When I did my test case, I actually correctly
>>> did not use the -c option to try to create an executable
>>> and I never noticed the cockpit error.

> I DIDN'T NOTICE the -c.  What part of "I never noticed the
> cockpit error" did you have problems with?

What I have "problems" with is the first part of the sentence in
which you state that you "correctly did not use the -c option".
That is patently absurd when you were trying to find the
reported error - it was incorrect not to use the -c. I have left
the quote in, should your memory fail you.

> Just to make it clear: I was no different than anyone else
> here, apparently.

Not "was", "am". Nice to see that you recognise the fact.

@ 2002-07-25  4:12     ` Dylan Cuthbert
From: Dylan Cuthbert @ 2002-07-25  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It was my mistake and a lack of integrity on windows part (now *there's* a
surprise) that caused the problem.

No reason to kick Chris in the goolies, he's so used to using gcc he
automatically omitted the -c option, a simple mistake..just as simple as the
one I made.

Regards

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com

@ 2002-07-22  1:39                 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-22  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Robert,

Am Montag, 22. Juli 2002 um 00:20 schriebst du:

> However I think one interesting thing has come up - is the cygwin gcc
> 3.1.x patched to generate foo.exe when passed '-o foo' ?

$ g++ -mno-cygwin -o hiho hiho.cpp

$ ls -l hi*
-rwxrwxrwx    1 Administ DomÀnen-      222 Jul 21 14:05 hiho.cpp*
-rwxrwxrwx    1 gerrit   DomÀnen-   467415 Jul 22 07:17 hiho.exe*

Yes.

Gerrit
--
"All faults& bugs are mine - Robert"
    from squid/acinclude.m4,   Sun Apr 21 05:21:21 2002

* RE: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-22  0:46     ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-07-22  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I thought of that before posting to the group, and renamed my executable to
> my_test_is_mine_only.exe
>
> Same results.
>
> Its the oddest thing I've ever seen and reminded me (not in a good way) of
> DOS days of old :-), any ideas?

You mean to imply there *is* a good way to be reminded of the DOS days? ;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-22  0:00               ` Dylan Cuthbert
From: Dylan Cuthbert @ 2002-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry about the wild goose chase but it was very odd behaviour.

In 10 years of using gcc I've never come across the "trying to execute an
.obj file causes crash" problem before, but I was using linux and as you
say, the executable bit wouldn't have got set and I'd have noticed
immediately.

It seems strange that in this day and age, a .exe wouldn't have any info in
it to prevent something that is not an .exe from being run.  To this extent,
any user can rename any file a .exe and cause his/her machine to do very
unstable things, that's just bad all round.  Good old windows strikes again.

Thanks for tracking it down.

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com

@ 2002-07-21 20:33             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21 20:09                   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-21 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 09:26, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 08:20:47AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

> >However I think one interesting thing has come up - is the cygwin gcc
> >3.1.x patched to generate foo.exe when passed '-o foo' ?
>
> gcc 3.1.x and every native cygwin gcc that I have used in the last four
> years.

Ah well, there goes that theory.

Rob

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-21 19:49                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21 18:37               ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-21 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21 14:58           ` Sylvain Petreolle
From: Sylvain Petreolle @ 2002-07-21 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21 13:21         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 08:00:48AM -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>If you remove the ".exe" extension from a binary executable, it gets
>treated like a script. Very few binaries are valid script files...
>
>When you use the "-c" option, you suppress the whole linking phase. The
>output, regardless of its extension, is not a binary executable, it's an
>object file. If you run the "file" command on your "hiho.exe" or its
>earlier name: "hiho," you'll see something like this:
>
>% g++ -c hiho.cpp
>% file hiho.o
>hiho.o: 80386 COFF executable not stripped - version 30821
>

>Contrast:
>
>% g++ hiho.cpp -o hiho.exe
>% file hiho.exe
>hiho.exe: MS Windows PE Intel 80386 console executable not relocatable

Wow, all of this traffic and Randall is the first, AFAICT, to notice
that someone was using the -c option incorrectly.  When I did my test
case, I actually correctly did not use the -c option to try to create an
executable and I never noticed the cockpit error.

There are something on the order of 22 messages in this thread and it
looks like only one person actually noticed the obvious problem.

>Lastly:
>
>% g++ -mno-cygwin hiho.cpp -o hiho.exe
>hiho.cpp:2: iostream: No such file or directory

I suspect that this particular problem is probably due to the fact that
you haven't installed the latest gcc-mingw package.

cgf

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21 13:12               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-21 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 04:40:07PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>> Ah, I was trying to run it on a nonexec partition (long story).
>
>I have some of these too... how do I know if the partitions are
>nonexec or not?  No hint when I type in 'mount'.

Rather than assume that mount is not providing you with the information,
it would be better to double check that you actually do have noexec
directories.  The mount command does provide appropriate information if
a directory is mounted with the -E option.

>I would like to see a trigger in setup.exe to decide whether I want to
>have a shared drive to be exec or nonexec.

No way! You'd like setup.exe to act differently or do something for
you???  What a novel concept.

I don't know why the setup maintainers are so insistent on thwarting the
desires of people who want to run it.  I have my theories, of course...

cgf

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample  crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-21 13:05         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-21 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Randall,

Then only the syntax of this command was wrong:

>>$ g++ -mno-cygwin -c hiho.cpp -o hiho

With the correct syntax it looks ok:

$ g++ -mno-cygwin -o hiho.exe hiho.cpp

$ ./hiho.exe
hello world10 20
hello world30 20
hello world50 20
hello world70 20
hello world90 20
hello world110 20
hello world130 20
hello world150 20
hello world170 20
hello world190 20

I just useed copy & paste (without using my brain;).

Gerrit
--

@ 2002-07-21 12:43       ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase, cygwin

Gerrit,

If you remove the ".exe" extension from a binary executable, it gets
treated like a script. Very few binaries are valid script files...

When you use the "-c" option, you suppress the whole linking phase. The
output, regardless of its extension, is not a binary executable, it's an
object file. If you run the "file" command on your "hiho.exe" or its
earlier name: "hiho," you'll see something like this:

% g++ -c hiho.cpp
% file hiho.o
hiho.o: 80386 COFF executable not stripped - version 30821

Contrast:

% g++ hiho.cpp -o hiho.exe
% file hiho.exe
hiho.exe: MS Windows PE Intel 80386 console executable not relocatable

Lastly:

% g++ -mno-cygwin hiho.cpp -o hiho.exe
hiho.cpp:2: iostream: No such file or directory

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-07-21 11:53             ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-21 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Dylan Cuthbert, cygwin

Hallo Robert,

Am Sonntag, 21. Juli 2002 um 15:01 schriebst du:

> On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 22:55, Robert Collins wrote:
>> On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 22:56, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:
>> > That's very odd behaviour!  What else is in your current directory?  Is
>> > there a hiho.exe.exe?  :-)

No, I got 'hiho' after compiling with '-o hiho', after moving this to
'hiho.exe' I got the error.

>> I see the same quirks on linux. Something strange here.

> Ah, I was trying to run it on a nonexec partition (long story).

I have some of these too... how do I know if the partitions are
nonexec or not?  No hint when I type in 'mount'.  I would like to

--
=^..^=

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-21 11:49         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-21 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Petreolle; +Cc: cygwin, Dylan Cuthbert

Hallo Sylvain,

Am Sonntag, 21. Juli 2002 um 14:46 schriebst du:

>> You need the gcc-mingw package too if you want to use -mno-cygwin

> Ok, installed it. It compiles but :

> $ ./cpplus.exe

> never returns and only moves the cursor in a random place.
> it must be killed (ctrl-c has no effect) and the terminal isn't

That sounds like the problems reported (which this thread is about).
However, I have no problems here (NT4 SP6a & latest Cygwin stuff).
I'm using rxvt as shell with bash.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-21 10:48           ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-21 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Dylan Cuthbert, cygwin

@ 2002-07-21 10:00         ` Dylan Cuthbert
From: Dylan Cuthbert @ 2002-07-21 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is what I was getting!  I'm glad it wasn't just my imagination.

But after a reboot (or a day not looking at it), I re-compiled it and it
worked fine.

Regards

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com

@ 2002-07-21  9:58       ` Dylan Cuthbert
From: Dylan Cuthbert @ 2002-07-21  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21  9:58         ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-21  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dylan Cuthbert; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21  9:51       ` Sylvain Petreolle
From: Sylvain Petreolle @ 2002-07-21  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: cygwin, Dylan Cuthbert

@ 2002-07-21  8:01     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-21  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dylan Cuthbert; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21  7:59     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-21  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Petreolle; +Cc: cygwin, Dylan Cuthbert

Hallo Sylvain,

Am Sonntag, 21. Juli 2002 um 12:15 schriebst du:

@ 2002-07-21  7:39   ` Dylan Cuthbert
From: Dylan Cuthbert @ 2002-07-21  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21  5:55     ` Sylvain Petreolle
From: Sylvain Petreolle @ 2002-07-21  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit @ cygwin, Dylan Cuthbert; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21  5:54   ` Sylvain Petreolle
From: Sylvain Petreolle @ 2002-07-21  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit @ cygwin, Dylan Cuthbert; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21  3:39 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-07-21  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dylan Cuthbert; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-07-21  0:43     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-21  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dylan Cuthbert; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 12:15, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:

> I thought of that before posting to the group, and renamed my executable to
> my_test_is_mine_only.exe
>
> Same results.

gdb and strace are your friends.

Rob

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-20 23:40   ` Dylan Cuthbert
From: Dylan Cuthbert @ 2002-07-20 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-20 19:13   ` Jim George
From: Jim George @ 2002-07-20 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 04:16:48PM +0900, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:
> >
> >Hi all, Here is a very simple test program I am compiling with
> >g++ -mno-cygwin -c test.cpp -o test.exe
> >
> >--- snip ---
> >
> >#include <iostream>
> >
> >int main (int argc, char *argv[])
> >{
> > int frog = 10;
> > int blob = 20;
> >
> > for ( int i = 0; i < 10; i++ )
> > {
> >  std::cout << "hello world" << frog << " " << blob << std::endl;
> >
> >  frog += blob;
> >
> > }
> >
> > return(0);
> >}
> >
> >--- snip ---
> >
> >When I run this from a command.com style window, a very strange thing
> >happens - the text cursor starts jumping about the screen in a repeated
> >pattern (I'm not joking, I thought it was a virus or something at first).
> >When I run it from rxvt, rxvt just freezes on me after I press ctrl-c.
> >
> >In both cases I have to use the task manager to close down a task called
> >ntvdm.exe which is using up 50% of the cpu time.  If I end that task the
> >prompt returns to rxvt (or the command.com shell).
>
> I would suspect that you are not running the program as ./test and are,
> instead running some other random "program" named test.
>
> It's usually a good idea not to use 'test' as a command name since UNIX
> systems have a test program installed in /usr/bin.
>
> cgf

 But the man says he gets other responses in command.com (not bash or rxvt)
these don't have the path problem do they?
I thought window$/do$ always checks it's current directory first?

Jim

* Re: g++ (v.3.1.1-4)  -mno-cygwin with a hello world sample crashes oddly
@ 2002-07-20 18:57 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-20 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-20 18:44 Dylan Cuthbert