* Re: indent.exe strangeness
@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin

At 05:08 PM 11/15/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 08:45:48AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> >
> >===

At the risk of this becoming a "me too" message, I agree with Chris on
the text/binary issue here.  As far as Notepad goes, it is apparently
one application that MS refuses to fix and also refuses to stop
delivering! ;-)

* Re: indent.exe strangeness
@ 2001-11-11  8:26           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:19:12PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>> What about a patch that would fopen() every file in binmode and write it
>> back according to the mount?
>
>I think that textmode.o is the correct tool rather than a patch - read
>every file in textmode (they are source after all :]) and write in
>textmode.

No.  That would end up putting CRLF on every file.  I doubt that people
with binmode mounts would be pleased.

automode.o should take any file and create a file with only LF line
endings.  This will be correctly interpreted by just about every tool
except older versions of notepad.exe.

cgf

* Re: indent.exe strangeness
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Robert Collins
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

===
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:19:12PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> >> What about a patch that would fopen() every file in binmode and
write it
> >> back according to the mount?
> >
> >I think that textmode.o is the correct tool rather than a patch -
read
> >every file in textmode (they are source after all :]) and write in
> >textmode.
>
> No.  That would end up putting CRLF on every file.  I doubt that
people
> with binmode mounts would be pleased.

They shouldn't care if all the text process tools have been ported
correctly. Thats the whole point of textmode and binmode ain't it?

Certinaly squid _always_ writes text data with textmode, and binary data
with binmode, and I've heard no complaints w.r.t this.

> automode.o should take any file and create a file with only LF line
> endings.  This will be correctly interpreted by just about every tool
> except older versions of notepad.exe.

FWIW my win2k notepad still chokes. Anyway, I've start to be picky here,
so I'll just be quite now :}.

Rob

* Re: indent.exe strangeness
@ 2001-11-11  8:26             ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor

Hallo Christopher,

Am 2001-11-15 um 20:21 schriebst du:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:19:12PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>>> What about a patch that would fopen() every file in binmode and write it
>>> back according to the mount?
>>
>>I think that textmode.o is the correct tool rather than a patch - read
>>every file in textmode (they are source after all :]) and write in
>>textmode.

> No.  That would end up putting CRLF on every file.  I doubt that people
> with binmode mounts would be pleased.

> automode.o should take any file and create a file with only LF line
> endings.  This will be correctly interpreted by just about every tool
> except older versions of notepad.exe.

But every file that is in textmode with CR/LF will be converted to binmode
lineendings then?

Ciao,

Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
--
=^..^=

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 12:40:23PM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>Hallo Robert,

>>> Actually if you add /usr/lib/automode.o it might just cause this to be
>>> a non-issue.
>
>> Won't this do the wrong thing on text mode mounts? (ie write in binary
>> not text mode).
>
>On textmounts it works with every kind of file, though binmode files
>will be converted to texmode files.

That's not how automode.o works.

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] ` <156864442883.20011115234344@familiehaase.de>
@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase

I'm not sure. Squid 'knows' which fils are which by virtue of what they
are needed for - ie config files - text, cached data - binary, output
logs - text, cache data log - binary.

Rob
===
> > They shouldn't care if all the text process tools have been ported
> > correctly. Thats the whole point of textmode and binmode ain't it?
>
> > Certinaly squid _always_ writes text data with textmode, and binary
data
> > with binmode, and I've heard no complaints w.r.t this.
>
> How do I detect if a file is in text or in binmode (the easy way)?
>
> Ciao,
>
> Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
> --
> =^..^=

* RE: indent.exe strangeness
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Kevin Schnitzius
From: Kevin Schnitzius @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'BMetzenthen@cochlear.com.au', cygwin

Are your source drives mounted as binary or text?

Kevin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 10:11:34PM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>Am 2001-11-15 um 20:21 schriebst du:
>>automode.o should take any file and create a file with only LF line
>>endings.  This will be correctly interpreted by just about every tool
>>except older versions of notepad.exe.
>
>But every file that is in textmode with CR/LF will be converted to
>binmode lineendings then?

...and...?  You're rephrasing what I said above.  What are you not
understanding?  A file that *possibly* used to have lines ending
with \r\n will be converted to using \n instead.

We've had many discussions about this in the past and it seems like
this is the best compromise solution.

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase

From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Robert,

2001-11-15 16:31:49, du schriebst:

> Uhmm I said "write in binary mode" and thats what you just said "output
> file is in binmode". I don't understand where I was wrong.

>> What about a patch that would fopen() every file in binmode and write
> it
>> back according to the mount?

> I think that textmode.o is the correct tool rather than a patch - read
> every file in textmode (they are source after all :]) and write in
> textmode.

Oops sorry, I meant open() in textmode and write according to the mounttype,
in binmode or in textmode.
If I use textmode as default wouldn't every file be written in textmode?

I patched only two lines now and it works ok., well if you open a file it
is read in textmode and on a textmount it will be written in textmode, on
a binmode mount it will be written in binmode. Vice versa for texmode files.

Then it depends on the mount type and not on how the lineendings of the input
file were.

Gerrit
--
convey Information Systems GmbH                   http://www.convey.de/
                                                  Vitalisstraße 326-328

From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Robert,

2001-11-15 12:14:29, du schriebst:

>> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 10:05:14PM -0500, Kevin Schnitzius wrote:
>>>Are your source drives mounted as binary or text?
>>
>> Actually if you add /usr/lib/automode.o it might just cause this to be
>> a non-issue.

> Won't this do the wrong thing on text mode mounts? (ie write in binary
> not text mode).

On textmounts it works with every kind of file, though binmode files
will be converted to texmode files.
On binmode mounts, it doesn't work as expected with textmode files.

@ 2001-11-11  8:26 BMetzenthen
From: BMetzenthen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Schnitzius; +Cc: cygwin

Bingo!  That was the problem.  Thanks.

I was using /cygdrive/..., which are binmode.

Mounting the win directories under the cygwin heirarchy in text mode solved
that little problem.

I operate cygwin the same way as I use Linux, ignoring binmode/textmode
until it bites me (usually, this means ^M characters appear at line
endings, not in the middle of lines).  I assume that the appropriate thing
to do here would be to patch the indent sources to make it work as expected
when using binary mounted directories.

Bill

                    Kevin Schnitzius
                    <kevin.schnitzius@c        To:     "'BMetzenthen@cochlear.com.au'"
                    itrix.com>                 <BMetzenthen@cochlear.com.au>, cygwin@cygwin.com
                                               cc:
                    15/11/2001 14:05           Subject:     RE: indent.exe strangeness

"The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential
information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this
material is unauthorised and prohibited.  If you have received this message
in error, please notify us by return email and delete the original
message."

"The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return email and delete the original message."

* indent.exe strangeness
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 BMetzenthen