* Re: Latest setup.exe
@ 2002-12-08 10:07 Joseph Davida
From: Joseph Davida @ 2002-12-08 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I got around the problem by removing the
old C:\cygwin (actually by renaming it
to cygwin.old) and restarting the setup.exe.

So it appears current setup.exe will cause this
problem on Win2K if it installs on top of an
exsisting installation.

Cheers,
Joe

Joseph Davida wrote:
>I tried the beta version Max suggested and it also
>exhibits the same behaviour on my win2k laptop;
>i.e. sucks up huge mem (depletes VM), and yet after
>more than 1 hour of running, it still says 1% of
>base-files 1.1-1 is installed. The "total" progress
>meter shows only about a sliver of "progress" :)
>
>Am running win2K with latest updates (service pack
3).

>Also, I have been updating my cygwin installation for
>over a year now, and this is the first time I have
>encountered this problem.
>
>Joe
>
>Max Bowsher wrote:
>>
>> Please keep replies on list!
>>
>> Joseph I. Davida <jd108@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> > It appears that this setup.exe is depleting the
VM pool.
>> > There is either a bad memory leak problem, or
there
>> > is a boundless recursion in the calls. I suspect
the
>> > it is a memory leak problem.
>> > The machine has 512M sdram and a 40 gig HD, of
which
>> > a max of 2048M is used for paging. Yet the
setup.exe
>> > alone eats up all the VM pool!.
>> >
>> > Is there an older version of it that I can try?
>>
>> Try the latest beta at
>http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/
>>
>> Max.

* Re: Latest setup.exe
@ 2002-12-09 12:29   ` Joseph Davida
From: Joseph Davida @ 2002-12-09 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nop! package dir is
c:\downloads\cygwin\packages.

Joe

--- Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 03:56, Joseph Davida wrote:
> > I got around the problem by removing the
> > old C:\cygwin (actually by renaming it
> > to cygwin.old) and restarting the setup.exe.
> >
> > So it appears current setup.exe will cause this
> > problem on Win2K if it installs on top of an
> > exsisting installation.
>
> Works for me.
>
> I'll WAG that your 'local package dir' is c:\cygwin.
>
> Thats not a supported configuration.
>
> Rob
> --
> ---
> GPG key available at:
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt.
> ---

name=signature.asc

* Re: Latest setup.exe
@ 2002-12-10 19:34 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-12-10 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Davida; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-12-06 17:40       ` Joseph I. Davida
From: Joseph I. Davida @ 2002-12-06 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Max Bowsher wrote:

> Please keep replies on list!
>
> Joseph I. Davida <jd108@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > It appears that this setup.exe is depleting the VM pool.
> > There is either a bad memory leak problem, or there
> > is a boundless recursion in the calls. I suspect the
> > it is a memory leak problem.
> > The machine has 512M sdram and a 40 gig HD, of which
> > a max of 2048M is used for paging. Yet the setup.exe
> > alone eats up all the VM pool!.
> >
> > Is there an older version of it that I can try?
>
> Try the latest beta at http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/
>
> Max.

* Re: Latest setup.exe
       [not found]   ` <3DF127B1.B9B5DF0E@pacbell.net>
@ 2002-12-06 16:30     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-12-06 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph I. Davida, cygwin

@ 2002-12-05  9:10 ` Max Bowsher
       [not found]   ` <3DF127B1.B9B5DF0E@pacbell.net>
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-12-05  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph I. Davida, cygwin

Joseph I. Davida <jd108@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The latest setup.exe dies with the following

Latest release (2.249.2.5) or latest beta (2.303) ?

> error banner titled: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error
>
> Runtime Error
> Program: C:\download\cygwin\setup.exe
>
> Abnormal Program termination
>
> This happens after about 1% of the packages have been installed.
> Also, there appears to be a huge allocation of mem that Win2K
> increased virtual space to 2 gig and the machine slows down
> so much as to be almost uselesss during the setup!

Max.

* Latest setup.exe
@ 2002-12-05  8:14 Joseph I. Davida