* 7/12/2005 .. install doesn't work
@ 2005-07-12 17:54 Matthew Lenz
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Matthew Lenz @ 2005-07-12 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've tried installing a few times (cleaned system: removal of all cygwin
directories/files plus regedit key removals) and each time i launch the
cygwin.bat i just end up at a bash prompt in the /usr/bin directory.
'ls' is unavailable along with a few other commands.  Is the install
repo horked right now?  One of the packages broken?  Its not creating a
home tree like it used to.

* 7/12/2005 .. install doesn't work with newest setup.exe
@ 2005-07-12 18:06 ` Matthew Lenz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Lenz @ 2005-07-12 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry if this is a double post.  I originally subscribed to the digest
and thought I could send to this list as well.

I've tried installing a few times (cleaned system: removal of all cygwin
directories/files plus regedit key removals) and each time i launch the
cygwin.bat after the install I just end up at a bash prompt in the /usr/bin directory.
'ls' is unavailable along with a few other commands.  Is the install
repo horked right now?  One of the packages broken?  Its not creating a
home tree like it used to.

* Re: 7/12/2005 .. install doesn't work
@ 2005-07-12 18:07 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-12 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lenz; +Cc: cygwin

Matthew Lenz wrote:

> I've tried installing a few times (cleaned system: removal of all cygwin
> directories/files plus regedit key removals) and each time i launch the
> cygwin.bat i just end up at a bash prompt in the /usr/bin directory.
> 'ls' is unavailable along with a few other commands.  Is the install
> repo horked right now?  One of the packages broken?  Its not creating a
> home tree like it used to.

coreutils-5.3.0-8 is currently broken and makes it through to the
mirrors, see  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-07/msg00171.html,
try to fetch 5.3.0-7 or wait until it is fixed, please.

Gerrit

* Re: 7/12/2005 .. install doesn't work
@ 2005-07-12 18:21 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2005-07-12 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Matthew Lenz <matthew@nocturnal.org> writes:

> I've tried installing a few times (cleaned system: removal of all cygwin
> directories/files plus regedit key removals) and each time i launch the
> cygwin.bat i just end up at a bash prompt in the /usr/bin directory.
> 'ls' is unavailable along with a few other commands.  Is the install
> repo horked right now?  One of the packages broken?  Its not creating a
> home tree like it used to.

What's in your cygwin.bat?

Mine has the following...
------------------------------

@echo off
set cygwin=tty notitle glob
C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

------------------------------

And, you mean that you don't have a c:\cygwin\home\ directory?

Dave

* Re: 7/12/2005 .. install doesn't work
@ 2005-07-12 18:31   ` Matthew Lenz
From: Matthew Lenz @ 2005-07-12 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: cygwin

Its due to the issue that Gerrit posted about previously.  coreutils is
currently horked.  I'll wait patiently :)

@ 2005-07-12 18:48     ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2005-07-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthew; +Cc: cygwin

* Re: 7/12/2005 .. install doesn't work
@ 2005-07-12 19:02       ` Matthew Lenz
From: Matthew Lenz @ 2005-07-12 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave; +Cc: cygwin

I tried a few all with the same results.  I assume something as serious
as coreutils being broken will be fixed soon, right?

@ 2005-07-12 19:07         ` Dave
From: Dave @ 2005-07-12 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthew; +Cc: cygwin

* Re: 7/12/2005 .. install doesn't work
@ 2005-07-12 21:58         ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-12 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lenz; +Cc: cygwin

At 03:02 PM 7/12/2005, you wrote:
>I tried a few all with the same results.  I assume something as serious
>as coreutils being broken will be fixed soon, right?

Oh, no-no-no.  We couldn't do something like that.  It would prove that WJM
isn't literal and we can't have that. ;-)  But seriously, there will be an
updated coreutils package (-9) as soon as the maintainer provides one.  In
the meantime, the coreutils-5.3.0-8 package has been removed, though it may
take a little time for this to progaate around.  The best option right
now is to just rerun 'setup.exe' and downgrade.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: 7/12/2005 .. install doesn't work
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-13 12:57 ` Eric Blake