* cygdrive binary?
@ 2000-07-11  1:07 Pavel Kudrna
From: Pavel Kudrna @ 2000-07-11  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,
I have question about cygdrive mount mode. It is not binary after
setup which causes that some programs does not work. For instance
it's not possible to install rpm packages from paths under /cygdrive.

I changed the value under
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000020
in the registry to
"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000002
and now it seems to be OK.

Is it the right way to do that? If yes I would expect that setup
should do that... It was many times written in this list that drives
should be mounted in bin mode...

Dr. Pavel KUDRNA
Katedra elektroniky a vakuove fyziky
Matematicko-fyzikalni fakulta
Univerzita Karlova v Praze
V Holesovickach 2
180 00 Praha 8
Ceska Republika
tel. +420 2 2191 2732

* Re: cygdrive binary?
@ 2000-07-11  9:36 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-07-11  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Kudrna; +Cc: cygwin

Pavel Kudrna wrote:

> I changed the value under
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
> "cygdrive flags"=dword:00000020
> in the registry to
> "cygdrive flags"=dword:00000002
> and now it seems to be OK.
>
> Is it the right way to do that? If yes I would expect that setup
> should do that...

No. The right way is 'mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix=cygdrive'. See
'mount -h' and 'umount -h' for more info.

> It was many times written in this list that drives
> should be mounted in bin mode...

Maybe. Depends on what you're doing.

--Chuck

* Re: cygdrive binary?
@ 2000-07-18  5:12   ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-07-18  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday 11 Jul 00, Charles Wilson writes:
> Pavel Kudrna wrote:
> >
> > I changed the value under
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
> > "cygdrive flags"=dword:00000020
> > in the registry to
> > "cygdrive flags"=dword:00000002
> > and now it seems to be OK.
> >
> > Is it the right way to do that? If yes I would expect that setup
> > should do that...
>
> No. The right way is 'mount -b --change-cygdrive-prefix=cygdrive'. See
> 'mount -h' and 'umount -h' for more info.

This is not currently in the FAQ.  I'll add it.

David