* Re: RedHat7.3 and Windows
       [not found]   ` <4518-Mon25Aug2003121909+0100-jpff@codemist.co.uk>
@ 2003-08-25 14:52     ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2003-08-25 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpff; +Cc: mats.bengtsson, lilypond-user, cygwin

[followup set to cygwin@cygwin.com]

> No I do not have access to a Windows machine connected to the net.

You can simply mirror the Cygwin distribution on your server.  Run
setup.exe on the windows client, and enter your server as download
mirror.  Consult the cygwin mailing list archives.

By the way, this has nothing to do with lilypond, please followup to
cygwin@cygwin.com.

> Why is there not a zip or complete package?

No-one has made one.  Do you know how Cygwin works?  I think a
`complete package' would be a very bad idea.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter

* Re: RedHat7.3 and Windows
@ 2003-08-25 15:05       ` jpff
From: jpff @ 2003-08-25 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: janneke; +Cc: mats.bengtsson, lilypond-user, cygwin

 Jan> [followup set to cygwin@cygwin.com]

 >> No I do not have access to a Windows machine connected to the net.

 Jan> You can simply mirror the Cygwin distribution on your server.  Run
 Jan> setup.exe on the windows client, and enter your server as download
 Jan> mirror.  Consult the cygwin mailing list archives.

All I wanted was Lilypond on my Windows machines

 Jan> By the way, this has nothing to do with lilypond, please followup to
 Jan> cygwin@cygwin.com.

 >> Why is there not a zip or complete package?

 Jan> No-one has made one.  Do you know how Cygwin works?  I think a
 Jan> `complete package' would be a very bad idea.

I do not want to know how cygwin works; i have used it in the past
without any detailed knowledge.  I am not interested in cygwin, just
music typesetting.

Clearly the question was ill posed, and there is no such creature.
Back to the Linux world.

==John ffitch

* Re: RedHat7.3 and Windows
@ 2003-08-26  8:31         ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2003-08-26  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpff; +Cc: mats.bengtsson, lilypond-user, cygwin

>  Jan> You can simply mirror the Cygwin distribution on your server.  Run
>  Jan> setup.exe on the windows client, and enter your server as download
>  Jan> mirror.  Consult the cygwin mailing list archives.
>
> All I wanted was Lilypond on my Windows machines

Yes, me too :-)

> I do not want to know how cygwin works; i have used it in the past
> without any detailed knowledge.

Well, lilypond is not different from any other Cygwin package.  Just
use Cygwin as you did in the past.

> I am not interested in cygwin, just music typesetting.

This will not get you very far.

Jan.

--

@ 2003-08-26 11:37           ` jpff
From: jpff @ 2003-08-26 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: janneke; +Cc: mats.bengtsson, lilypond-user, cygwin

 >> I do not want to know how cygwin works; i have used it in the past
 >> without any detailed knowledge.

 Jan> Well, lilypond is not different from any other Cygwin package.  Just
 Jan> use Cygwin as you did in the past.

which bring us back to the original question; is there a working
version of Lilypond that is available for Windows?  I am suspecting
that the answer is no, unless you have all kinds of additional
facilities like direct net connection.

==John ffitch

PS I did find a version (1.6) that seems to install on RedHat7.3.
Until the disk failure I had used 1.4

* Re: RedHat7.3 and Windows
@ 2003-08-26 12:06             ` Mats Bengtsson
From: Mats Bengtsson @ 2003-08-26 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpff; +Cc: cygwin, lilypond-user

jpff@codemist.co.uk wrote:

>  >> I do not want to know how cygwin works; i have used it in the past
>  >> without any detailed knowledge.
>
>  Jan> Well, lilypond is not different from any other Cygwin package.  Just
>  Jan> use Cygwin as you did in the past.
>
> which bring us back to the original question; is there a working
> version of Lilypond that is available for Windows?  I am suspecting
> that the answer is no, unless you have all kinds of additional
> facilities like direct net connection.

You only need the net connection for downloading the Cygwin packages
needed in the installation. Once you have them on local disk or a
CD, you can run the installation without any network connection.

In principle it's very easy also if you only have access
to a Linux computer with a CD burner or file sharing possibilities
to your windows machine, just copy the necessary files from any
Cygwin mirror (preserving the directory structure). The main
practical problem is to selectively download only the packages
you need, since a full copy may be to large to handle.
Unfortunately I'm running a partly experimental installation
at the moment, so it's no use to copy my list of packages, but
the list of packages found at the end of
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-08/txt00001.txt
(under the title "Cygwin Package Information") should be recent
enough to be relevant.

   /Mats

* Re: RedHat7.3 and Windows
@ 2003-08-27  8:43               ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2003-08-27  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> Cygwin mirror (preserving the directory structure). The main
> practical problem is to selectively download only the packages
> you need, since a full copy may be to large to handle.

I wrote a silly python script for that:

    http://lilypond.org/cygwin/cyg-apt

Sadly, some packages are monolithic and thus have more requires: and
will pull in more than you may need if you rely on dependencies.

Jan.
--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter