* Cygwin, OpenSSH, IPv6.
@ 2008-06-22 15:52 David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2008-06-22 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to get the OpenSSH dæmon working on the Windows box
my new employer gave me. I followed the instructions at
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html (not quite
understanding what the 'mount -s --change-cygdrive-prefix' command was
for), and I can now log in over Legacy IP.

However, I need to use IPv6 for my local network, because Legacy IP
routing all gets hijacked by the VPN software. I already have VNC
working over IPv6, which is a good start, but now I'm trying to set up
sshd so that I can use it for port forwarding to the internal network.

When I edit /etc/sshd_config and uncomment the 'Listen ::' line, I get
told 'The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started', and sshd.log
says "bad addr or host :: (no address associated with name)'.

Was it built without IPv6 support?

--
dwmw2

* Re: Cygwin, OpenSSH, IPv6.
@ 2008-06-22 18:26 ` René Berber
From: René Berber @ 2008-06-22 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Woodhouse wrote:

> I'm trying to get the OpenSSH dæmon working on the Windows box
> my new employer gave me. I followed the instructions at
> http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html (not quite
> understanding what the 'mount -s --change-cygdrive-prefix' command was
> for), and I can now log in over Legacy IP.
>
> However, I need to use IPv6 for my local network, because Legacy IP
> routing all gets hijacked by the VPN software. I already have VNC
> working over IPv6, which is a good start, but now I'm trying to set up
> sshd so that I can use it for port forwarding to the internal network.
>
> When I edit /etc/sshd_config and uncomment the 'Listen ::' line, I get
> told 'The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started', and sshd.log
> says "bad addr or host :: (no address associated with name)'.
>
> Was it built without IPv6 support?

Yes, like everything else network related in Cygwin.

But you have a couple of choices, the 1.7 version of Cygwin (not sure
about the status of IPv6 support), and the modification made by Jun-ya
KATO (including OpenSSH, otherwise you would have to recompile
everything you need -- but notice that it is for Cygwin 1.5.24, about  a
year old):

    http://win6.jp/Cygwin/

I personally don't have any experience with both.
--
René Berber

* Re: Cygwin, OpenSSH, IPv6.
@ 2008-06-22 21:54   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-06-22 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 22 12:15, Ren? Berber wrote:
> David Woodhouse wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get the OpenSSH dæmon working on the Windows box
>> my new employer gave me. I followed the instructions at
>> http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html (not quite
>> understanding what the 'mount -s --change-cygdrive-prefix' command was

You don't need it and should better revert it to using not just / as
cygdrive prefix.  The default is `mount -s -c /cygdrive'.  Using the
root dir might work, but is not supported.

>> When I edit /etc/sshd_config and uncomment the 'Listen ::' line, I get
>> told 'The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started', and sshd.log
>> says "bad addr or host :: (no address associated with name)'.
>> Was it built without IPv6 support?
>
> Yes, like everything else network related in Cygwin.
>
> But you have a couple of choices, the 1.7 version of Cygwin (not sure about
> the status of IPv6 support)

Cygwin 1.7 contains IPv6 support (self-written btw.(*)) and OpenSSH in
the 1.7 test release is built with IPv6 support as well and SSH over
IPv6 works for me in my local IPv6 setup.  However,
neither the installation process, nor the Cygwin DLL, nor the release
directory are finished yet for production use(**).  Right now the stuff is
only meant for package maintainers.  If you're not faint of heart, you
can override your 1.5 install by using the 1.7 test setup tool
http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe.  However, you have been warned: Things
might not work as expected yet (***).

Corinna

(*)   So I'm proud of having written this myself.  So sue me.
(**)  Most depressively, there's almost no documentation matching the
      "new and improved" taste of 1.7.
(***) http://cygwin.com/#PTC

Red Hat

* Re: Cygwin, OpenSSH, IPv6.
@ 2008-06-23 11:27     ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2008-06-23 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 21:13 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 22 12:15, Ren? Berber wrote:
> > David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to get the OpenSSH dæmon working on the Windows box
> >> my new employer gave me. I followed the instructions at
> >> http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html (not quite
> >> understanding what the 'mount -s --change-cygdrive-prefix' command was
>
> You don't need it and should better revert it to using not just / as
> cygdrive prefix.  The default is `mount -s -c /cygdrive'.  Using the
> root dir might work, but is not supported.

OK, thanks.

> Cygwin 1.7 contains IPv6 support (self-written btw.(*)) and OpenSSH in
> the 1.7 test release is built with IPv6 support as well and SSH over
> IPv6 works for me in my local IPv6 setup.  However,
> neither the installation process, nor the Cygwin DLL, nor the release
> directory are finished yet for production use(**).  Right now the stuff is
> only meant for package maintainers.  If you're not faint of heart, you
> can override your 1.5 install by using the 1.7 test setup tool
> http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe.  However, you have been warned: Things
> might not work as expected yet (***).

TBH, the _most_ important thing I want Cygwin for right now is so that I
can SSH into the box over IPv6. And the 1.7 test release seems to work
just fine for that; thanks.

--
dwmw2