* Re: urxvt-X terminfo and Bash readline
@ 2009-06-01 18:27 Charles Wilson
       [not found] ` <87aa9ldic5.fsf@pobox.com>
From: Charles Wilson @ 2009-06-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dan Moulding wrote:
> First, it did not install its own compiled terminfo file in
> /usr/share/terminfo/r. I noticed that the source for the terminfo file
> was installed to /etc/terminfo, so I compiled it and copied
> rxvt-unicode to /usr/share/terminfo/r (from /usr/share/terminfo/72).
> This seemed to work for getting programs (such as emacs) to find the
> terminfo. But it seems like this should all happen automagically upon
> installing urxvt-X (for example, I never had to do this with xterm).

Programs compiled against ncurses anytime in the last 2-3 months use the
"new" terminfo database, which organizes the entries by the 2-char hex
code of the first letter, rather than by the first letter itself. This
helps when your filesystem -- as on cygwin/win32 [*] -- is
case-preserving but not case-sensitive.  Older programs continue to use
the "old" terminfo database. Both databases coexist in the
/usr/share/terminfo directory.  The rxvt-unicode postinstall script will
install a copy of the correct entry into both databases, but ONLY if you
have the correct program(s) installed:

/usr/bin/tic.exe from the ncurses package (most everybody will have
this)
--> installs into the "new" database under .../72/

/usr/bin/tic0.exe from the 'tic0' package (few people install this)
--> installs into the "old" database under .../u/

To get this "right", first install the 'tic0' package, and then
(re)install the rxvt-unicode-common package.

Note that in most cases (e.g. cygwin installations that were "in
service" prior to 2-3 months ago, and had installed rxvt-unicode "back
then") already had the "old" database entry installed -- and so only
need the "new" one which *does* happen automagically.  It's the mix of
"I want to use an old program that hasn't been recompiled against the
new ncurses, AND I am just now installing rxvt-unicode for the first
time, AND I'm using the old program from inside this spiffy new
terminal" that causes problems.  I guess I could make it automatic even
then, by require:ing tic0...but then everybody, even those who don't
need it, would install tic0, the "old" terminfo0 database, and all of
the (old) ncurses libraries that tic0 needs. Plus, that runs against my
attempt to slowly phase out the "old" database...

> The other odd thing I noticed is that for some reason in Bash the
> readline functionality "horizontal-scroll-mode" defaults to "on" when
> running inside urxvt-X. Normally this should default to "off" (as per
> the Bash man page). When running Bash in an xterm window, it is set
> "off" by default as expected. I had to manually turn it off in
> .inputrc when using urxvt-X.

I know nothing of this. I didn't do anything "special" so I figure this
is the upstream default behavior of rxvt-unicode. I plan to update
rxvt-unicode to 8.x once cygwin-1.7 is released, so maybe we can revisit
this issue then.

--
Chuck
rxvt-unicode, ncurses, terminfo maintainer

* Re: urxvt-X terminfo and Bash readline
@ 2009-06-01 19:14 ` Dan Moulding
       [not found] ` <87aa9ldic5.fsf@pobox.com>
From: Dan Moulding @ 2009-06-01 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I guess I could make it automatic even
> then, by require:ing tic0...but then everybody, even those who don't
> need it, would install tic0, the "old" terminfo0 database, and all of
> the (old) ncurses libraries that tic0 needs. Plus, that runs against my
> attempt to slowly phase out the "old" database...

Admittedly, I'm part of the unwashed masses, terminfo-wise. So I don't
know if this is kosher, but emacs seemed happy with the compiled
terminfo that I made using the new tic. The only problem I had was
that emacs was looking for it in the wrong place (I presume this is
because my emacs [the latest Cygwin build] is compiled against the old
ncurses). Would it be sufficient for the post-install script to copy
the same terminfo file (built with new tic) to *both* locations, if
the old database directory(ies) exists?

I could understand why this would be bad if terminfos compiled by the
new tic should only be compatible with programs compiled against the
new ncurses, but I don't know if that's the case (it doesn't seem to
be as far as I can tell based upon my limited testing of it so far).

> I know nothing of this. I didn't do anything "special" so I figure this
> is the upstream default behavior of rxvt-unicode. I plan to update
> rxvt-unicode to 8.x once cygwin-1.7 is released, so maybe we can revisit
> this issue then.

Seems plausible that it would be upstream behavior. The only reason I
even noticed this is because rxvt seems to have a bug with escape
characters in the Bash prompt. When they are there, it doesn't do the
horizontal scrolling quite right, and it looks real ugly. Otherwise
I'd have been fine with horizontal scroll mode... nah, actually I
prefer it to just wrap, but I might not have been motivated enough to
figure out why it was behaving differently from xterm if it did the
horizontal scrolling properly.

It's not a big deal since there is a straight-forward workaround. It
just might be hard for some folks to figure out what the proper
workaround is if they don't understand what drives the difference in
behavior.

Thanks for the explanations, Chuck. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

-- Dan

* Re: urxvt-X terminfo and Bash readline
@ 2009-06-01 19:39   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2009-06-01 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/1/2009 3:14 PM, Dan Moulding wrote:
> The only problem I had was
> that emacs was looking for it in the wrong place (I presume this is
> because my emacs [the latest Cygwin build] is compiled against the old
> ncurses).

This won't be an issue much longer, at least for people who start using
cygwin 1.7.  By the time cygwin 1.7 is released, I expect emacs-23 to be
the current version of emacs in cygwin.  It was compiled against
libncurses9.  It's available for testing now, in both cygwin 1.5 and
1.7, if you want to give it a try:

   http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00475.html
   http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00635.html

Ken

* Re: tic0 dependency, was: urxvt-X terminfo and Bash readline
       [not found] ` <87aa9ldic5.fsf@pobox.com>
@ 2011-10-01  0:28   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2011-10-01  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/30/2011 1:56 PM, Tom Roche wrote:
> - `info` is 'an old program that hasn't been recompiled against the
>   new ncurses', and should be.

This.  info.exe is linked to cygncurses-8.dll, which is the last version
of ncurses on cygwin that used the old database organization.

--
Chuck

@ 2011-10-02  0:52   ` Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2011-10-02  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:27:05 -0400
>>> Note that in most cases (e.g. cygwin installations that were "in
>>> service" prior to 2-3 months ago, and had installed rxvt-unicode
>>> "back then") already had the "old" database entry installed -- and
>>> so only need the "new" one which *does* happen automagically. It's
>>> the mix of "I want to use an old program that hasn't been
>>> recompiled against the new ncurses, AND I am just now installing
>>> rxvt-unicode for the first time, AND I'm using the old program
>>> from inside this spiffy new terminal" that causes problems.

Tom Roche Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:56:58 -0400
>> [This week] I installed a brand new cygwin onto a cygwin-virginal,
>> just-been-imaged box, then installed rxvt-unicode-* on it days
>> later. Certainly I have no interest in using some "old program that
>> hasn't been recompiled against the new ncurses": I just want cygwin
>> (which I regularly recommended to OP) to work OOTB.

>> So ISTM (unless I'm missing something, in which case, please enlighten
>> me), there's a bug here. Either

>> - `info` is 'an old program that hasn't been recompiled against the
>>   new ncurses', and should be.

Charles Wilson Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:28:05 -0400
> This. info.exe is linked to cygncurses-8.dll, which is the last
> version of ncurses on cygwin that used the old database

So ... given that (correct me if wrong) `info` is part of the base cygwin distribution, that would seem to be a bug. Am I missing something? If not, what would be the appropriate way to request this bug be fixed? Or has that request already been made?

your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: tic0 dependency, was: urxvt-X terminfo and Bash readline
@ 2011-10-02  1:33     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2011-10-02  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/1/2011 8:53 PM, Tom Roche wrote:
> Charles Wilson Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:28:05 -0400
>> This. info.exe is linked to cygncurses-8.dll, which is the last
>> version of ncurses on cygwin that used the old database
>
> So ... given that (correct me if wrong) `info` is part of the base
> cygwin distribution, that would seem to be a bug. Am I missing
> something? If not, what would be the appropriate way to request this
> bug be fixed? Or has that request already been made?

Actually, it's already been fixed.  The texinfo package was updated
earlier today, and has been recompiled against cygncurses-10.dll.

--
Chuck

* Re: urxvt-X terminfo and Bash readline
@ 2009-06-02 15:37   ` Dan Moulding
From: Dan Moulding @ 2009-06-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> After rebooting, I was unable to
> reproduce the problem.
>
> Perhaps you just need to reboot too?

You are right, Phil. After rebooting, I am no longer able to reproduce
the problem either. Weird. I suppose this may be more of a problem in
the readline library, where it gets confused about which mode it
should use, rather than in Bash or the terminal. It's odd though I
could have both an xterm and urxvt running at the same time, each
displaying different readline behavior.

Anyway, I can't reproduce it anymore, so this is a problem that just
fixes itself (the best kind!)

-- Dan

* RE: urxvt-X terminfo and Bash readline
@ 2009-06-02 13:58 ` Phil Betts
From: Phil Betts @ 2009-06-02 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dan Moulding wrote:
> The other odd thing I noticed is that for some reason in Bash the
> readline functionality "horizontal-scroll-mode" defaults to "on" when
> running inside urxvt-X. Normally this should default to "off" (as per
> the Bash man page). When running Bash in an xterm window, it is set
> "off" by default as expected. I had to manually turn it off in
> .inputrc when using urxvt-X.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.

I had this a month or two back when I was testing a new mintty release,
I had updated "other stuff" at the same time.  I thought it was a
problem with mintty and had intended to report it, but I had to reboot
before I'd fully investigated it.  After rebooting, I was unable to
reproduce the problem.

Perhaps you just need to reboot too?

NB, I didn't get any warnings about in-use files, which is why I hadn't
already rebooted, so it's probably a more subtle issue than in-use DLLs.

Phil

* urxvt-X terminfo and Bash readline
@ 2009-06-01 16:21 Dan Moulding
From: Dan Moulding @ 2009-06-01 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Today I decided to try urxvt-X to see if I like it better than xterm.
After installing it, I noticed a couple of things that seemed odd, and
am wondering whether or not these are intentional behaviors.