* RE: close cygwin window - bash doesnt save history
@ 2002-07-11  5:10 Schaible, Jorg
From: Schaible, Jorg @ 2002-07-11  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Shane,

>If I close the cygwin window by hitting the 'X' button in the
>windows titlebar
>the Bash History is not saved though I wish it was. - is there
>a solution to
>this minor annoyance?

don't use the X button, just type CTRL-D.

Regards,
Jorg

* Re: close cygwin window - bash doesnt save history
@ 2002-07-13 10:16 ` Dario Alcocer
From: Dario Alcocer @ 2002-07-13 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 08:45:39PM -0500, Shane Brooks wrote:
> I couln't agree with you more.  I have read the bash man pages several times over though I dont understand it all...
[snip]

> Believe me - we aren't all newbies looking for a quick lazy fix - but at some stage we *are* all newbies.
>
> I dont have the TTY env var set...but thats another thread.
>
> Still tryin'

Have you tried logout in the SIGHUP handler?  I just tried the following
on my installation, and the history is saved when I click the close
button:

    $ myclosefn() {
      logout
    }
    $ trap myclosefn SIGHUP

I tested this by double-clicking the "Cygwin" icon, entering the
commands above, and clicking the close button.  Once I double-click
the Cygwin icon again, doing a 'history | tail' will show the
commands above.

--
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
alcocer@helixdigital.com -- http://www.helixdigital.com

* Re: close cygwin window - bash doesnt save history
@ 2002-07-13  7:11 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-13  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shane Brooks, cygwin

Shane,

I don't think "huponexit" should have any effect on whether this technique
works.

My guess at what you see flash by is the diagnostic that "myclosefn" cannot
be found (you defined "myclose" and set "myclosefn" as the trap action!).

I still can't make this work. Did I hallucinate that first success?

What I _do_ think is that SIGHUP is not generated when a BASH console
window is closed.

I tried it running in RXVT. It does a whole different funky thing: When I
close the window, the trapped function is executed in an infinite loop and
BASH never exits. This _is_ repeatable.

I just as baffled as before, if not more so.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-07-13  7:05 Shane Brooks
From: Shane Brooks @ 2002-07-13  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com>
> (*) In further investigating options using "trap," I discovered I can no
> longer repeat my earlier success, regardless of whether I use "tty" or not.

I used "history -a" , but it appears the trap is being called when the window closes as I can call "myclosefn" OK.  I have been typing this at the BASH command prompt, not editing a .bash_login or profile. So my session looks like..

Shane@GUINNESS ~
$ myclose () {
> history -a
> }

Shane@GUINNESS ~
$ trap myclosefn SIGHUP

Shane@GUINNESS ~
$

using shopt I see that the builtin command huponexit is OFF, but that should be OK shouldnt it?  the man page suggests huponexit allows tasks that are not in the job table to recieve the SIGHUP also.

from the man page "When Bash receives a signal for which a trap has been set while waiting for a command to complete, the trap will not be executed until the command completes." - perhaps under windows its too late once the command has completed?  ie the window is already closed?

Interestingly I see something flash onto the command line just before the window closes..but my machine is too fast to allow me to read it.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8

* Re: close cygwin window - bash doesnt save history
@ 2002-07-13  5:45 Shane Brooks
From: Shane Brooks @ 2002-07-13  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-11 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Alcocer, cygwin

Dario,

It works great for me just as you suggested (*). I don't like using "tty"
mode, so there's no issue for me. I was thinking perhaps it didn't work for
Shane because he might be using "tty" mode.

However, if the SIGHUP doesn't get delivered (in "tty" mode), there's
really no hook to hang this technique upon, it seems.

(*) In further investigating options using "trap," I discovered I can no
longer repeat my earlier success, regardless of whether I use "tty" or not.

There's something odd afoot here. When and if I figure out more, I'll
report back.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-07-11  9:29   ` Dario Alcocer
From: Dario Alcocer @ 2002-07-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-11  9:11 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-11  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shane Brooks, Dario Alcocer, cygwin

Shane, Dario,

I was happy to see this suggestion. I'm going to begin using it immediately.

As to those who suggested "don't do that," I have to say ordinarily I avoid
the close box exactly because I lose my history, but accidents (mis-clicks)
happen--sometimes when I really want what's in the as-yet unsaved history
(crashes happen then, too...).

First, Shane, this does exactly what you want, if I understand you
correctly. As you say, put it in you ".bash_profile" or ".login" (whichever
you use or prefer to use). I recommend that you do _not_ put it in you
.bashrc, since that will apply to all invocations of BASH, not just the
top-level "login" ones.

You may need to use the "--login" option when invoking the top-level bash,
to make sure it sources your ".login" file. You should read the BASH manual
about the exact details of startup processing and how the various options
(--login, -i, etc.) and the presence of the various pertinent files
interact. It's kind of messy, if you ask me, though of course you did not...

Dario, in investigating why Shane might not be having success with your
technique, I tried it both with and without the presence of the "tty"
option in the CYGWIN environment variable. (Without is my preferred
operating mode.) I discovered that the SIGHUP handler is _not invoked_ when
the "tty" option _is_ used. (My hypothesis had been the opposite,
actually.) I assume this means that the SIGHUP itself is not delivered when
the close box is clicked and "tty" mode is in effect.

By the way, I did this testing with BASH running in a "console" (character
subsystem) window, not RXVT.

I don't know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but it is what I see
with the latest Cygwin:

CYGWIN_NT-5.0 CLEMENS 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-07-11  9:10 ` Dario Alcocer
From: Dario Alcocer @ 2002-07-11  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 01:26:01AM -0500, Shane Brooks wrote:

Hope this helps.

--

@ 2002-07-11  3:30 Shane Brooks
From: Shane Brooks @ 2002-07-11  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-07-10  9:03 ` Dario Alcocer
From: Dario Alcocer @ 2002-07-10  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 06:29:52AM -0700, Barry Buchbinder wrote:
> Solution: Don't hit the 'X' button.  Don't get out of
> bash by turn off the power, either.  Use "logout" or
> "exit".
>
> Bash obviously does not save history after each
> command; it saves history when it shuts down.  Hitting
> the 'X' button kills it without going through the
> normal shut down sequence.

Even better solution: register a signal handler in your Bash session
for SIGHUP; the cygwin1.dll sends a hangup signal when CTRL_CLOSE_EVENT
is received.  Something like this:

    $ myclosefn() {
        echo "My close func got called." > $HOME/myclosefn.txt
        # TODO: add more clean-up logic here
    }
    $ trap myclosefn SIGHUP

I've tested this, so I know it works.

P.S. BTW, I didn't know the answer to this beforehand, but instead
actually looked at the source.  That's one of the beauties of open
source projects: questions like these can be answered by direct
inspection.  "Read the Source, Luke!" ;-)

--

@ 2002-07-10  7:18 Barry Buchbinder