* mkdir: This folder is shared with other people
@ 2014-11-21  8:11 Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-11-21  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tested on Windows 7

1. Create a Homegroup
2. cd C:/Users

Now, if you run a command like this

    mkdir C:/Users/foo

all is well. However if you run a command such as this

    mkdir foo

"foo" then has strange permissions. If you try to delete using Window Explorer,
you get this message

    This folder is shared with other people
    Folder: C:\Users\foo
    Share Name: foo

This behavior feels wrong because both cmd.exe and PowerShell do not do this.

http://superuser.com/a/725434

* Re: mkdir: This folder is shared with other people
@ 2014-11-21 10:38 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-11-21 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov 20 22:24, Steven Penny wrote:
> Tested on Windows 7
>
> 1. Create a Homegroup
> 2. cd C:/Users
>
> Now, if you run a command like this
>
>     mkdir C:/Users/foo
>
> all is well.

Depends on your POV.  When using a DOS path, you're getting default
Windows permissions, as documented.  No special POSIX handling for
incoming DOS paths.

> However if you run a command such as this
>
>     mkdir foo
>
> "foo" then has strange permissions.

No, it hasn't.  It has POSIX-compliant permissions.  "foo" is a relative
path, the CWD is always treated as POSIX path.  The resulting absolute
path is POSIX, so POSIX permission handling is utilized.

> If you try to delete using Window Explorer,
> you get this message
>
>     This folder is shared with other people
>     Folder: C:\Users\foo
>     Share Name: foo

You have to forgive Explorer that it doesn't handle POSIX permissions
more correctly.  The permission settings are wrongly evaluated as
permissions of a "shared" folder, since Vista AFAIR.

> This behavior feels wrong because both cmd.exe and PowerShell do not do this.

Weird comparison.  CMD and PowerShell are not POSIX environments.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: mkdir: This folder is shared with other people
@ 2014-11-21 18:58   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-11-21 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> The permission settings are wrongly evaluated as permissions of a "shared"
> folder, since Vista AFAIR.

 In this situation Cygwin creates these extra entries

- CREATOR OWNER
- CREATOR GROUP
- Steven
- None

so how is it Windows fault in this situation?

* Re: mkdir: This folder is shared with other people
@ 2014-11-21 20:06     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-11-21 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov 21 10:47, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > The permission settings are wrongly evaluated as permissions of a "shared"
> > folder, since Vista AFAIR.
>
>  In this situation Cygwin creates these extra entries
>
> - CREATOR OWNER
> - CREATOR GROUP
> - Steven
> - None

Yes, POSIX-compatible permissions matching your owner and group
settings, plus the directory inheritence entries to propagate the POSIX
permissions in case the dir is accessed via native Windows tools, plus
the inherited ACEs.  Just as expected.

> so how is it Windows fault in this situation?

Making a fuss over perfectly valid permissions?  This message didn't
show up until Vista, and starting with Vista it's annoying.

If you're expecting Cygwin to create files without POSIX ACLs, then use
either a fully qualified DOS path, or add the noacl flag to the cygdrive
entry in /etc/fstab.

@ 2014-11-21 22:26       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-11-21 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> add the noacl flag to the cygdrive entry in /etc/fstab.

Ah yes, thanks!

* Re: mkdir: This folder is shared with other people
@ 2014-11-22  9:48       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-11-22  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> add the noacl flag to the cygdrive entry in /etc/fstab.

Hm, after further testing, the noacl flag kills tab completion.

* Re: mkdir: This folder is shared with other people
@ 2014-11-23  2:43         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-11-23  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Penny, cygwin

Greetings, Steven Penny!

>> add the noacl flag to the cygdrive entry in /etc/fstab.

> Hm, after further testing, the noacl flag kills tab completion.

Explain, please? How exactly you're testing it, and what you're observing?
I don't see any issues with noacl cygdrive mount in that regard.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: mkdir: This folder is shared with other people
@ 2014-11-23 11:54           ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-11-23 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2014-11-23 20:05             ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2014-11-23 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Explain, please? How exactly you're testing it, and what you're observing?
>> I don't see any issues with noacl cygdrive mount in that regard.
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-08/msg00179.html

I am assuming that this is an issue with the host you're trying to
spider not letting you do so.  I didn't read the original issue, does
setup.exe stop at the 11th file as well?  If so then those that
control the mirrors will need to contract the host provide.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: mkdir: This folder is shared with other people
@ 2014-11-23 20:48             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-11-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Penny, cygwin

Greetings, Steven Penny!

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Explain, please? How exactly you're testing it, and what you're observing?
>> I don't see any issues with noacl cygdrive mount in that regard.

> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-08/msg00179.html

You know, unless you specify, what exactly is the problem you're
experiencing, it will never be resolved?
Just stating that "i have a problem" is not an explanation, someone has to
reproduce it, preferable someone, who can fix it.
So, please, pull your head out of the place you stuck it in, and explain the
problem you're having, if you want to have any answers on the issue.

--

@ 2014-11-23 22:40               ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-11-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyg Simple, cygwin

Greetings, cyg Simple!

>>> Explain, please? How exactly you're testing it, and what you're observing?
>>> I don't see any issues with noacl cygdrive mount in that regard.
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-08/msg00179.html
>>

> I am assuming that this is an issue with the host you're trying to
> spider not letting you do so.

No, this is an issue with his brain and the way he point to the issue he
having.