* Cygwin quiet-mode setup against local Repository authentication issue
@ 2022-07-21 14:41 Boris Unckel
From: Boris Unckel @ 2022-07-21 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear Cygwin community,

we plan to have Cygwin distributed with our Softwarecenter package distribution. The process shall not require any user interaction. Due to security policies we don’t grant users direct access to the internet. The mandatory proxy blocks binary downloads. For this reason we have established a JFrog Artifactory remote repository for the whole Cygwin distribution. Accessing this repository by browser works without any issues, both with and without login.

Our command is like this (hostname with blanks obfuscated)

setup-x86_64.exe --only-site --site "https:// artifactory .local/ artifactory/cygwin/" --no-shortcuts --no-desktop --quiet-mode --root "C:\customfolder\cygwinx64\cygwin" --arch x86_64 --local-package-dir "C:\ customfolder \cygwinx64\cygwin-packages" --verbose --upgrade-also --categories Base --packages bash-completion,vim,vim-common,vim-doc

It might be due to an artifactory bug but anonymous access to the local repo is not working at the moment. When setup-x86_64.exe downloads the packages it receives a http code 401 and a popup to enter user/password shows up.

What can we do pass user / password for the –site destination without UI and without user interaction?

Kind regards
Boris

* Re: Cygwin quiet-mode setup against local Repository authentication issue
@ 2022-07-21 16:55 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2022-07-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Boris Unckel writes:
> we plan to have Cygwin distributed with our Softwarecenter package
> distribution. The process shall not require any user interaction. Due
> to security policies we don’t grant users direct access to the
> internet. The mandatory proxy blocks binary downloads. For this reason
> we have established a JFrog Artifactory remote repository for the
> whole Cygwin distribution. Accessing this repository by browser works
> without any issues, both with and without login.
[…]
> What can we do pass user / password for the –site destination without
> UI and without user interaction?

Why do you need user authentication and/or serve the files over HTTP(S)
instead of just providing a local repository to install from?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Cygwin quiet-mode setup against local Repository authentication issue
@ 2022-07-22  4:48   ` Boris Unckel
From: Boris Unckel @ 2022-07-22  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Achim Gratz <stromeko@nexgo.de> hat am 21.07.2022 18:55 geschrieben:
>

> Boris Unckel writes:
> > we plan to have Cygwin distributed with our Softwarecenter package
> > distribution. The process shall not require any user interaction. Due
> > to security policies we don’t grant users direct access to the
> > internet. The mandatory proxy blocks binary downloads. For this reason
> > we have established a JFrog Artifactory remote repository for the
> > whole Cygwin distribution. Accessing this repository by browser works
> > without any issues, both with and without login.
> […]
> > What can we do pass user / password for the –site destination without
> > UI and without user interaction?
>
> Why do you need user authentication and/or serve the files over HTTP(S)
> instead of just providing a local repository to install from?
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
The current idea is not to fix the set of available cygwin-packages (and/or versions) in a local copy, neither in the softwarecenter-package, nor in a smb share, but to have the chance of updates with the same softwarecenter-package. Currently the softwarecenter-package contains only the setup.exe plus script. We have several distributions running this way (maven, npm, pypi, conda, rpm...)

Regards
Boris