* Heimdal 0.4e and Cygwin
@ 2002-01-04 13:12 Nicolas Williams
From: Nicolas Williams @ 2002-01-04 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: heimdal-discuss, cygwin

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-otp ; make

Works, well, almost works.

The only serious problems appear to be:

 - Cygwin defines iruserok() in unistd.h but does not provide an
   implementation, therefore ./configure detects that iruserok() is
   missing and lib/roken/iruserok.c fails to compile because it
   redefines iruserok()!

   Cygwin needs a fix, if anything, but I'm not sure how to workaround
   this.  I worked around it by manually editing config.h and
   lib/roken/Makefile... The only thing that fails to build then is
   rshd.exe.

 - The same klist.exe binary in /tmp/heimdal-0.4e/kuser/klist.exe works,
   but, the *same* binary, located in /usr/local/bin/. Then again, if I
   copy klist.exe to /usr/bin/ it works.

   Cygwin is slowly making me crazy. Time to dig through the FAQs or the
   Cygwin lists... and I'm not finding anything.

   Is there something magical about /usr/local/ on Cygwin that prevents
   binaries I compile from working?

 - When I try to link a simple conftest program to check for
   gss_init_sec_context() gcc/ld fail to link, listing lots of OpenSSL
   symbols as being undefined - adding -lssl to the gcc command line
   does not fix the problem. This is probably something to do with the
   above klist.exe problem.

I'm running make check now. Most checks are passing.

If only I can figure out exactly how to install Heimdal so things link
and run correctly. Perhaps I have to ./configure with --prefix=/usr,
since manually installing Heimdal binaries to /usr/bin seems to work...

Help, please...

Nico
--
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-and copy this message.-

related financial instruments.

* Re: Heimdal 0.4e and Cygwin
@ 2002-01-04 15:51 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-01-04 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Williams; +Cc: heimdal-discuss, cygwin

Hallo Nicolas,

Am 2002-01-04 um 22:11 schriebst du:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-otp ; make

> Works, well, almost works.

> The only serious problems appear to be:

>  - Cygwin defines iruserok() in unistd.h but does not provide an
>    implementation, therefore ./configure detects that iruserok() is
>    missing and lib/roken/iruserok.c fails to compile because it
>    redefines iruserok()!

$ nm libutil.a | grep iruserok
iruserok.o:
00000108 T _iruserok

>    Cygwin needs a fix, if anything, but I'm not sure how to workaround
>    this.  I worked around it by manually editing config.h and
>    lib/roken/Makefile... The only thing that fails to build then is
>    rshd.exe.

>  - The same klist.exe binary in /tmp/heimdal-0.4e/kuser/klist.exe works,
>    but, the *same* binary, located in /usr/local/bin/. Then again, if I
>    copy klist.exe to /usr/bin/ it works.

>    Cygwin is slowly making me crazy. Time to dig through the FAQs or the
>    Cygwin lists... and I'm not finding anything.

>    Is there something magical about /usr/local/ on Cygwin that prevents
>    binaries I compile from working?

No. Sounds strange.

>  - When I try to link a simple conftest program to check for
>    gss_init_sec_context() gcc/ld fail to link, listing lots of OpenSSL
>    symbols as being undefined - adding -lssl to the gcc command line
>    does not fix the problem. This is probably something to do with the
>    above klist.exe problem.

> I'm running make check now. Most checks are passing.

> If only I can figure out exactly how to install Heimdal so things link
> and run correctly. Perhaps I have to ./configure with --prefix=/usr,
> since manually installing Heimdal binaries to /usr/bin seems to work...

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                        mailto:gp@familiehaase.de

* Re: Heimdal 0.4e and Cygwin
@ 2002-01-07  4:43 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-01-07  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Williams; +Cc: heimdal-discuss, cygwin

Nicolas Williams wrote:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-otp ; make
>
> Works, well, almost works.

[ snip ]

>  - The same klist.exe binary in /tmp/heimdal-0.4e/kuser/klist.exe works,
>    but, the *same* binary, located in /usr/local/bin/. Then again, if I
>    copy klist.exe to /usr/bin/ it works.

What do you mean - it doesn't work ? Does it print something ?

* Re: Heimdal 0.4e and Cygwin
@ 2002-01-07 13:35   ` Nicolas Williams
       [not found]     ` <1010447903.10004.0.camel@vpn4.ece.cmu.edu>
From: Nicolas Williams @ 2002-01-07 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Tsekov; +Cc: heimdal-discuss, cygwin

A dialog comes up saying: "The procedure entry point ___progname could
not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll". This happens if
the binary is in /usr/local/bin.

Same binary in /usr/bin or /usr/heimdal/bin works just fine.

I'v configured/made/installed with --prefix=/usr/local and /usr/heimdal,
but otherwise the same way.

/usr/local doesn't work. Go figure.

Cheers,

Nico

@ 2002-01-07 13:46     ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]     ` <1010447903.10004.0.camel@vpn4.ece.cmu.edu>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-07 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Pavel Tsekov, heimdal-discuss

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:32:31PM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
>A dialog comes up saying: "The procedure entry point ___progname could
>not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll". This happens if
>the binary is in /usr/local/bin.
>
>Same binary in /usr/bin or /usr/heimdal/bin works just fine.
>
>I'v configured/made/installed with --prefix=/usr/local and /usr/heimdal,
>but otherwise the same way.
>
>/usr/local doesn't work. Go figure.

I'd figure that you have more than one version of cygwin1.dll.  Like, maybe
you have one in /usr/local/bin?

cgf

* Re: Heimdal 0.4e and Cygwin
@ 2002-01-07 13:47   ` Nicolas Williams
From: Nicolas Williams @ 2002-01-07 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase @ cygwin; +Cc: heimdal-discuss

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 12:53:22AM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hallo Nicolas,
>
> Am 2002-01-04 um 22:11 schriebst du:
>
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-otp ; make
>
> > Works, well, almost works.
>
> > The only serious problems appear to be:
>
> >  - Cygwin defines iruserok() in unistd.h but does not provide an
> >    implementation, therefore ./configure detects that iruserok() is
> >    missing and lib/roken/iruserok.c fails to compile because it
> >    redefines iruserok()!
>
> $ nm libutil.a | grep iruserok
> iruserok.o:
> 00000108 T _iruserok

Well, rshd.exe from Heimdal doesn't link. Must libutil be passed in the
gcc command line to the linker? Ah, most likely. Ok. So I'll have to add
a configure check for this.

Thanks for the tip. With this Heimdal should build with no
intervention on Cygwin.

> >    Cygwin needs a fix, if anything, but I'm not sure how to workaround
> >    this.  I worked around it by manually editing config.h and
> >    lib/roken/Makefile... The only thing that fails to build then is
> >    rshd.exe.
>
> >  - The same klist.exe binary in /tmp/heimdal-0.4e/kuser/klist.exe works,
> >    but, the *same* binary, located in /usr/local/bin/. Then again, if I
> >    copy klist.exe to /usr/bin/ it works.
>
> >    Cygwin is slowly making me crazy. Time to dig through the FAQs or the
> >    Cygwin lists... and I'm not finding anything.
>
> >    Is there something magical about /usr/local/ on Cygwin that prevents
> >    binaries I compile from working?
>
> No. Sounds strange.

Doesn't it?

I've configured/made/installed with --prefix=/usr/local and
/usr/heimdal. The latter works, the former doesn't (a dialog comes up
with the following error message:

"The procedure entry point ___progname could not be located in the
dynamic link library cygwin1.dll"

> Gerrit
> --
> =^..^=                                        mailto:gp@familiehaase.de

Cheers,

Nico
--

@ 2002-01-08  7:11       ` Nicolas Williams
From: Nicolas Williams @ 2002-01-08  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon S. Allbery  KF8NH; +Cc: Pavel Tsekov, heimdal-discuss, cygwin

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 06:58:15PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery  KF8NH wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 16:32, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > A dialog comes up saying: "The procedure entry point ___progname could
> > not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll". This happens if
> > the binary is in /usr/local/bin.
> >
> > Same binary in /usr/bin or /usr/heimdal/bin works just fine.
>
> <guess type="semi-wild">
>
> Look for outdated versions of cygwin1.dll on your disk; possibly in
> /usr/local/bin itself.  This would be Windows' slightly odd DLL lookup
> rules biting you.)
>
> </guess>

Doh! That's it, yes. I don't know how that happened. But it did.

BTW, though I've not seen it yet, this sort of dependency lookup
problem can bite you on, for example, Solaris 8, where the link paths
can reference $ORIGIN (the directory whence the binary came), as in
'$ORIGIN/../lib'.

Now I have a different problem:

$ cd /usr/local
$ ls
etc include info lib libexec man sbin
$ ls -d bin
bin
$

And I can't remove /usr/local/bin/cygwin1.dll.

I think I'm headed for a complete reinstall here.

> --
> brandon s. allbery   [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]  allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
> system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu
> electrical and computer engineering                                KF8NH
> carnegie mellon university  ["better check the oblivious first" -ke6sls]

Thanks. Cheers,

Nico
--

@ 2002-01-08  7:21         ` John Peacock
From: John Peacock @ 2002-01-08  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Williams
  Cc: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH, Pavel Tsekov, heimdal-discuss, cygwin

Nicolas Williams wrote:

> And I can't remove /usr/local/bin/cygwin1.dll.

Exit cygwin completely (including any Cygwin-based services you are running)
and then delete cygwin1.dll from Windows.  You may need to disable services and
reboot to make sure the dll is not in use.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

* bash shell
@ 2002-01-08  7:33           ` Stephen Perry
From: Stephen Perry @ 2002-01-08  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am a newcomer to the Cygwin and am trying to get the bash shell to work
properly.  It seems to work fine but it thinks I am a user that I am not.
It thinks I am admin, I am not, my user name on my Win2k machine is perry.
Anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
BTW, it works fine on my Win98 right out of the box.  Seems to be a quirky
Win2k/NT thing.

Thanks,
Steve

* Re: Heimdal 0.4e and Cygwin
@ 2002-01-08  7:50           ` Nicolas Williams
From: Nicolas Williams @ 2002-01-08  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Peacock
  Cc: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH, Pavel Tsekov, heimdal-discuss, cygwin

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:22:35AM -0500, John Peacock wrote:
> Nicolas Williams wrote:
> >

> > And I can't remove /usr/local/bin/cygwin1.dll.
> >

> Exit cygwin completely (including any Cygwin-based services you are running)
> and then delete cygwin1.dll from Windows.  You may need to disable services and
> reboot to make sure the dll is not in use.

Ah, now I know what happened. I'd installed Network Simplicity's
OpenSSH earlier. Thanks. This fixes it all, though it's still
interesting that 'ls /usr/local' doesn't show 'bin' yet 'ls
/usr/local/bin' does show things in there.

Anyways, thanks.

> HTH
>
> John
>
> --
> John Peacock
> Director of Information Research and Technology
> Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
> 4720 Boston Way
> Lanham, MD 20706
> 301-459-3366 x.5010
> fax 301-429-5747

Nico
--

@ 2002-01-08 10:24             ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-01-08 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Williams, John Peacock
  Cc: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH, Pavel Tsekov, heimdal-discuss, cygwin

At 10:45 AM 1/8/2002, Nicolas Williams wrote:
>OpenSSH earlier. Thanks. This fixes it all, though it's still
>interesting that 'ls /usr/local' doesn't show 'bin' yet 'ls
>/usr/local/bin' does show things in there.

Well, looks like you'll need to track this down yourself if you're
truly interested.  I'm going to wager that you created a mount to the
'bin' directory in '/usr/local' but didn't create a 'bin' directory
first.  Of course, that's only a guess.  Still this is one thing that
would explain the behavior you see.

* Re: Heimdal 0.4e and Cygwin
@ 2002-01-08 10:35               ` Nicolas Williams
From: Nicolas Williams @ 2002-01-08 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:05:58PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> At 10:45 AM 1/8/2002, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> >OpenSSH earlier. Thanks. This fixes it all, though it's still
> >interesting that 'ls /usr/local' doesn't show 'bin' yet 'ls
> >/usr/local/bin' does show things in there.
>
> Well, looks like you'll need to track this down yourself if you're
> truly interested.  I'm going to wager that you created a mount to the
> 'bin' directory in '/usr/local' but didn't create a 'bin' directory
> first.  Of course, that's only a guess.  Still this is one thing that
> would explain the behavior you see.

I'm chalking it up to having installed Network Simplicity's OpenSSH a
long time ago and then later installing Cygwin. Network Simplicity's
OpenSSH includes a partial Cygwin install.