* hardlinks on ntfs/fat
@ 2001-05-06 23:48 Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-05-06 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi cygwinners,

how is it exactly with hardlinks?

I got a directory with some files (about 5000),
and i made hardlinks to all of them in another directory.

If i examine now with win-explorer, i got i the first dir
about 17 MB and in the latter about 18 MB of files.

Are they now twice at the disk or are they relly hardlinked?

gph

--
=^..^=

* Re: hardlinks on ntfs/fat
@ 2001-05-07  2:05 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-05-07  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 08:48:40AM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hi cygwinners,
>
> how is it exactly with hardlinks?
>
> I got a directory with some files (about 5000),
> and i made hardlinks to all of them in another directory.
>
> If i examine now with win-explorer, i got i the first dir
> about 17 MB and in the latter about 18 MB of files.
>
> Are they now twice at the disk or are they relly hardlinked?

If the file system is NTFS and both directories are on the
same file system, then they are real hardlinks. Otherwise
they are copies.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: hardlinks on ntfs/fat
@ 2001-05-08  4:48 ` Konstantin Isakov
From: Konstantin Isakov @ 2001-05-08  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: cygwin

Monday, May 07, 2001, 10:48:40 AM, you wrote:

GPH> Hi cygwinners,

GPH> how is it exactly with hardlinks?

GPH> I got a directory with some files (about 5000),
GPH> and i made hardlinks to all of them in another directory.

GPH> If i examine now with win-explorer, i got i the first dir
GPH> about 17 MB and in the latter about 18 MB of files.

GPH> Are they now twice at the disk or are they relly hardlinked?

I think the most easiest way to find it out is to check drive's free space
amount before and after hardlinking ;)

--
Konstantin Isakov

* Re: hardlinks on ntfs/fat
@ 2001-05-19 20:55   ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2001-05-19 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Isakov, Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: cygwin

Konstantin,

I think the "inode number" reported by "ls -i" is a better way of
ascertaining if two directory entries reference the same file or not.

I am curious about why "ln" would copy a file if it gets EXDEV (if I
remember that right -- Error: cross-device link). I certainly wouldn't want
that to happen if I explicitly ask to link (not copy). Is that specified
behavior for the Unix / Linux / POSIX way for the ln command? I see no
mention of this behavior in the man page or the "ln --help" output.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA