* Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 13:53 Earthprime
From: Earthprime @ 2012-03-16 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi everyone, and thanks for your time and assistance.  I'm relatively new to
UNIX and cygwin and have been mastering the system over the past few days.
I want to start using TXT editors and GUIs, though I can't figure out how to
launch them from cygwin, if they come with the install package.  Can anyone
give me the prompt commands to launch a GUI and Text Editor, or tell me
where to download the apps so I can add them to my BIN folder?

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 14:16 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-03-16 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03/16/2012 06:53 AM, Earthprime wrote:
> Hi everyone, and thanks for your time and assistance.  I'm relatively new to
> UNIX and cygwin and have been mastering the system over the past few days.
> I want to start using TXT editors and GUIs, though I can't figure out how to
> launch them from cygwin, if they come with the install package.  Can anyone
> give me the prompt commands to launch a GUI and Text Editor, or tell me
> where to download the apps so I can add them to my BIN folder?
Type "notepad" or "explorer". Is this what you mean?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A preposition must never be used to end a sentence with.

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 14:25   ` Earthprime
From: Earthprime @ 2012-03-16 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks, that helps!  I am trying to learn more about Apps and how they work
with UNIX.  Are there any TextEditor or GUI apps that I can download and put
into the BIN, and then execute them from Cygwin?

@ 2012-03-16 14:59     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2012-03-16 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03/16/2012 07:25 AM, Earthprime wrote:
> Thanks, that helps!  I am trying to learn more about Apps and how they work
> with UNIX.  Are there any TextEditor or GUI apps that I can download and put
> into the BIN, and then execute them from Cygwin?
Most people use vim, or Emacs or XEmacs. You probably have vim
installed. For Emacs and XEmacs you have to explicitly install them.

BTW: You don't "download and put into the BIN" anything. You use
setup.exe to "install" Cygwin apps. You could augment your PATH to
include paths to other editors/apps on your system but if your trying to
use the command line as simply a launcher of other, non-Cygwin Windows
apps then you're not really getting it...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 15:44 ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2012-03-16 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 03/16/2012 06:53 AM, Earthprime wrote:
> Hi everyone, and thanks for your time and assistance.  I'm relatively new to
> UNIX and cygwin and have been mastering the system over the past few days.
> I want to start using TXT editors and GUIs, though I can't figure out how to
> launch them from cygwin, if they come with the install package.  Can anyone
> give me the prompt commands to launch a GUI and Text Editor, or tell me
> where to download the apps so I can add them to my BIN folder?

If you want to use Cygwin to learn about Linux, then it is time to start
using an editor that is also available Linux.

The to most popular editors are vim and emacs. You can install them via
setup.exe. The standard ones are text-mode versions.

For vim there is a GUI version named 'gvim'. What I do is install the
normal Windows version of gvim. When you install gvim with the batch
scripts for command-line use, then you can run gvim from the Cygwin
console. You can download gvim from http://www.vim.org
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim73_46.exe

I have never used emacs.

best regards,
Erwin Waterlander

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 15:51   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-03-16 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/16/2012 11:43 AM, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
> On 03/16/2012 06:53 AM, Earthprime wrote:
>> Hi everyone, and thanks for your time and assistance. I'm relatively
>> new to
>> UNIX and cygwin and have been mastering the system over the past few
>> days.
>> I want to start using TXT editors and GUIs, though I can't figure out
>> how to
>> launch them from cygwin, if they come with the install package. Can
>> anyone
>> give me the prompt commands to launch a GUI and Text Editor, or tell me
>> where to download the apps so I can add them to my BIN folder?
>
> If you want to use Cygwin to learn about Linux, then it is time to start
> using an editor that is also available Linux.
>
> The to most popular editors are vim and emacs. You can install them via
> setup.exe. The standard ones are text-mode versions.
>
> For vim there is a GUI version named 'gvim'. What I do is install the
> normal Windows version of gvim. When you install gvim with the batch
> scripts for command-line use, then you can run gvim from the Cygwin
> console. You can download gvim from http://www.vim.org
> ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim73_46.exe
>
> I have never used emacs.

You get a GUI version of emacs by installing an X server and the
emacs-X11 package.  Typing "emacs &" in an xterm window will then start
a GUI emacs in a new window.

Ken

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 16:17   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-03-16 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 04:43:53PM +0100, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>On 03/16/2012 06:53 AM, Earthprime wrote:
>> Hi everyone, and thanks for your time and assistance.  I'm relatively new to
>> UNIX and cygwin and have been mastering the system over the past few days.
>> I want to start using TXT editors and GUIs, though I can't figure out how to
>> launch them from cygwin, if they come with the install package.  Can anyone
>> give me the prompt commands to launch a GUI and Text Editor, or tell me
>> where to download the apps so I can add them to my BIN folder?
>
>If you want to use Cygwin to learn about Linux, then it is time to start
>using an editor that is also available Linux.
>
>The to most popular editors are vim and emacs. You can install them via
>setup.exe. The standard ones are text-mode versions.
>
>For vim there is a GUI version named 'gvim'. What I do is install the
>normal Windows version of gvim. When you install gvim with the batch
>scripts for command-line use, then you can run gvim from the Cygwin
>console. You can download gvim from http://www.vim.org
>ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim73_46.exe

We obviously have gvim in the distro:

http://cygwin.com/packages/gvim

Telling someone to use a pure windows version of a tool is just going to
confuse them.  Use Cygwin tools wherever possible when running in a
Cygwin environment.

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 18:05       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-03-16 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew DeFaria, cygwin

Greetings, Andrew DeFaria!

>> Thanks, that helps!  I am trying to learn more about Apps and how they work
>> with UNIX.  Are there any TextEditor or GUI apps that I can download and put
>> into the BIN, and then execute them from Cygwin?
> Most people use vim,

vim have two modes of work: in first one it beeps, in second - breaks
everything.

> BTW: You don't "download and put into the BIN" anything. You use
> setup.exe to "install" Cygwin apps. You could augment your PATH to
> include paths to other editors/apps on your system but if your trying to
> use the command line as simply a launcher of other, non-Cygwin Windows
> apps then you're not really getting it...

Moreover, you don't need to do either.
Just get a text editor that suits your needs.
Notepad+ is often suggested.
I'm using Far manager's internal editor. (Which is far more powerful.)

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 18:08         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-03-16 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 09:53:49PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
>Greetings, Andrew DeFaria!
>
>>> Thanks, that helps!  I am trying to learn more about Apps and how they work
>>> with UNIX.  Are there any TextEditor or GUI apps that I can download and put
>>> into the BIN, and then execute them from Cygwin?
>> Most people use vim,
>
>vim have two modes of work: in first one it beeps, in second - breaks
>everything.

Can we please try to avoid an editors flame war here?

cgf

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-16 19:46           ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2012-03-16 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Can we please try to avoid an editors flame war here?

I.E. Use what your are comfortable with and don't try to proselytize.
The OP asked a question whose answer could have been searched similar
to this one http://bit.ly/FOm8VM.  The OP could have also found an
appropriate answer specific to Cygwin at cygwin.com/faq.

--
Earnie

* Re: Looking for txt editors, GUI - New to CYGWIN
@ 2012-03-17 17:20           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-03-17 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor

Greetings, Christopher Faylor!

>>> Most people use vim,
>>
>>vim have two modes of work: in first one it beeps, in second - breaks
>>everything.

> Can we please try to avoid an editors flame war here?

Aww, blast. I'm sorry. My message slipped before I've finished the sentence.
What I wanted to mention, is that instead of non-obvious and confusing vim,
one could use nano, for example. With most, if not all, benefits of vim in
addition to intuitive and familiar interface.