* how to port cygwin to vmware ?
@ 2011-07-06  4:02 abhishek srivastava
From: abhishek srivastava @ 2011-07-06  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi all
i want to interface(port) cygwin to VMware (ubuntu installed).
i want to take cygwin as server and VMware as client; connecting them via 'named pipes'  or virtual serial port.
i dont have serial port present on my laptop.

could any one tell me procedure how to do so?any documents relating to same?

any help would be appreciable.

Abhishek

* Re: how to port cygwin to vmware ?
@ 2011-07-06 14:17 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-07-06 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/6/2011 12:02 AM, abhishek srivastava wrote:
> hi all
> i want to interface(port) cygwin to VMware (ubuntu installed).
> i want to take cygwin as server and VMware as client; connecting them via 'named pipes'  or virtual serial port.
> i dont have serial port present on my laptop.
>
> could any one tell me procedure how to do so?any documents relating to same?
>
> any help would be appreciable.

Dear Abhishek:

Given the way these virtual machines work, you pretty much have
to communicate with them via network channels.  You can set up
a private network, internal to your PC, via which your programs
can talk to your virtual machine(s).  I would then say that the
appropriate sort of technique to use is something like ssh, to
run a "remote" command in the VM from cygwin.  Conceivably, by
using the bidirectional process channels available in gawk (a
GNU extension), you could easily script something more 'interactive',
that is, more back-and-forth.  Or you could write a program
that uses network connections.

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: how to port cygwin to vmware ?
@ 2011-07-06 14:20   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-07-06 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/6/2011 10:16 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 7/6/2011 12:02 AM, abhishek srivastava wrote:
>> hi all
>> i want to interface(port) cygwin to VMware (ubuntu installed).
>> i want to take cygwin as server and VMware as client; connecting them via 'named pipes' or virtual
>> serial port.
>> i dont have serial port present on my laptop.
>>
>> could any one tell me procedure how to do so?any documents relating to same?
>>
>> any help would be appreciable.
>
> Dear Abhishek:

On re-reading I see you want things in the other direction.
But then it is a question of setting up sshd, etc., on the
cygwin end, I think, and the rest follows ... Eliot

* Re: how to port cygwin to vmware ?
@ 2011-07-06 16:05 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2011-07-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abhishek srivastava, cygwin

Greetings, abhishek srivastava!

> hi all
> i want to interface(port) cygwin to VMware (ubuntu installed).
> i want to take cygwin as server and VMware as client; connecting them via 'named pipes'  or virtual serial port.
> i dont have serial port present on my laptop.

> could any one tell me procedure how to do so?any documents relating to same?

> any help would be appreciable.

See thread started by your mid:1309492689.52645.YahooMailNeo@web94614.mail.in2.yahoo.com
We've pretty much covered your question already.
Unless you take off from your high chair and explain, what exactly you want to
achieve (no, "connecting them via 'named pipes' or virtual serial port" does
not telling us anything), we can't really help you.
The "achievement" I'm speaking about is something meaningful.
Like, "transfer files from host to guest (or vice versa)", or "run program X
on guest and access it's interface from host".

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...