* beep perl script
@ 2013-12-22  7:08 Gigabit Pony
From: Gigabit Pony @ 2013-12-22  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well I know the beep script is not yours but.. I am trying to
configure it so I hear a sound inside of Windows 7. I have cygwin with
weechat curses running in it. The set command
/set plugins.var.perl.beep_beep_command_highlight "cat
/cygdrive/d/Cygwin/beep.wav > /dev/dsp"

But it does not work at all. Any ideas why? Really would like to
switch to weechat for my main IRC program but without the audible ques
it is a no go. Many people have tried to help and told me that command
but it still is not working.

I have searched around and have not found the answer eslewhere and
people are stumped on why. if I could just switch to lnx I would but
alas I cant so porting like this is my only option.

* RE: beep perl script
@ 2013-12-22 17:07 ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2013-12-22 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Gigabit Pony

Gigabit Pony sent the following at Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:09 AM
>Well I know the beep script is not yours but.. I am trying to
>configure it so I hear a sound inside of Windows 7. I have
>cygwin with weechat curses running in it. The set command
>/set plugins.var.perl.beep_beep_command_highlight "cat
>/cygdrive/d/Cygwin/beep.wav > /dev/dsp"
>
>But it does not work at all. Any ideas why? Really would like to switch
>to weechat for my main IRC program but without the audible ques it is a
>no go. Many people have tried to help and told me that command but it
>still is not working.
>
>I have searched around and have not found the answer elsewhere and
>people are stumped on why. if I could just switch to lnx I would but
>alas I cant so porting like this is my only option.

There was a problem with /dev/dsp in a recent release (1.7.26) of
cygwin1.dll.  That was fixed in version 1.7.27.
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2013-12/msg00009.html>.  Make
sure that your installation is up to date.

- Barry
  Disclaimer:  Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.

* Re: beep perl script
@ 2013-12-22 18:23 ` Helmut Karlowski
From: Helmut Karlowski @ 2013-12-22 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 22.12.2013, 08:08 Uhr, schrieb Gigabit Pony:

> Well I know the beep script is not yours but.. I am trying to
> configure it so I hear a sound inside of Windows 7. I have cygwin with
> weechat curses running in it. The set command
> /set plugins.var.perl.beep_beep_command_highlight "cat
> /cygdrive/d/Cygwin/beep.wav > /dev/dsp"
>
> But it does not work at all. Any ideas why? Really would like to
> switch to weechat for my main IRC program but without the audible ques
> it is a no go. Many people have tried to help and told me that command
> but it still is not working.

Don't know why >/dev/dsp does not work (I get just noise), but you can use
ogg123 (ogg-vorbis) and play for example .oga-files:

e.g.:

ogg123 alarm-clock-elapsed.oga

That works for me on 1.7.20.

It's been a while since I played with sound-output, don't know if you can
play wav-files from inside cygwin at all.

-Helmut

* Re: beep perl script
@ 2014-01-23  5:56   ` GigabitPony
From: GigabitPony @ 2014-01-23  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Helmut Karlowski wrote
> Don't know why >/dev/dsp does not work (I get just noise), but you can use
> ogg123 (ogg-vorbis) and play for example .oga-files:
>
> e.g.:
>
> ogg123 alarm-clock-elapsed.oga
>
> That works for me on 1.7.20.
>
> It's been a while since I played with sound-output, don't know if you can
> play wav-files from inside cygwin at all.
>
> -Helmut

I downloaded vorbis-tools with cygwin package manager, installed it and
tried to play an .ogg file and it did not make a sound at all. I also got
noise with /dev/dsp