* xcalc comma doesn't work properly under de_DE.UTF-8
@ 2014-02-01 13:26 jaakov jaakov
From: jaakov jaakov @ 2014-02-01 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Package: xcalc
Version: 1.0.5

Problem: Input digits after the decimal separator (comma in German) are ignored for computation.
Steps to reproduce:
A. Make sure that the LANG shell variable is set to "de_DE.UTF-8" .
B. Start xcalc from the shell.
C. Using mouse, press the following screen buttons in the xcalc window:
 1
 .
 1
 x^2
D. Observe that the result is 1, which is wrong, since the square of 1.1 is 1.21.

If in step A the LANG would be set to, say, "en", the result would be a correct 1.21.
If in step A we keep the German locale but in step C we would press pi, and then x^2, the after-dot-digits would be considered again.

Please fix the bug!

Best regards,

Jaakov

* Re: xcalc comma doesn't work properly under de_DE.UTF-8
@ 2014-02-01 15:07 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-02-01 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: jaakov

On 01/02/2014 13:26, jaakov jaakov wrote:
> Package: xcalc
> Version: 1.0.5
>
> Problem: Input digits after the decimal separator (comma in German) are
> ignored for computation.
> Steps to reproduce:
> A. Make sure that the LANG shell variable is set to "de_DE.UTF-8" .
> B. Start xcalc from the shell.
> C. Using mouse, press the following screen buttons in the xcalc window:
> 1
> .
> 1
> x^2
> D. Observe that the result is 1, which is wrong, since the square of 1.1 is 1.21.
>
> If in step A the LANG would be set to, say, "en", the result would be a
> correct 1.21.
> If in step A we keep the German locale but in step C we would press pi, and
> then x^2, the after-dot-digits would be considered again.
>
> Please fix the bug!

This behaviour appears to be due a problem with cygwin's sscanf() in the
de_DE.UTF-8 locale, apparently already fixed in the latest snapshot. See [1].

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00294.html

* RE: Re: xcalc comma doesn't work properly under de_DE.UTF-8
@ 2014-02-01 18:40   ` jaakov jaakov
From: jaakov jaakov @ 2014-02-01 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: jon.turney

> > Package: xcalc
> > Version: 1.0.5
> >
> > Problem: Input digits after the decimal separator (comma in German) are
> > ignored for computation.
>
> This behaviour appears to be due a problem with cygwin's sscanf() in the
> de_DE.UTF-8 locale, apparently already fixed in the latest snapshot. See [1].
>
> [1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-12/msg00294.html

Thank you, Jon. Indeed, my relatively recent cygwin (as of today) does not have this patch yet. Let us wait until the snapshot gets released.
Best,
Jaakov.