I'm trying to use run.exe to avoid a flashing console window, but it is not working on my cygwin64 install on Win7Pro-64. This is a fresh install from 10/20/2014. I've attached my cygcheck.out. I've tried the following windows shortcuts and all cause a console window to briefly flash (in the case of mintty a console window flashes before the mintty terminal is displayed). D:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/bash -c "echo hi" D:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/env -i PATH=/bin bash --norc -c "echo hi" D:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/env -i PATH=/bin mintty bash --norc Since hiding the console window is the main purpose of run.exe, it seems that it is badly broken for Win7Pro-64.