* tetex on Vista
@ 2007-12-01 19:10 Erik Demaine
From: Erik Demaine @ 2007-12-01 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The default installation of Cygwin tetex does not seem to have the
right permissions for Vista to be happy (with User Account Protection
turned on, as is default).  Here is an example of an error message:

$ latex filename.tex
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
  file:line:error style messages enabled.
  %&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

It seems necessary to chmod -R u+w some subset of
/var/cache/fonts, /usr/share/texmf, /usr/lib/texmf
for latex to properly be able to build latex.fmt,
ditto for pdflatex, and kpathsea to build fonts.
Presumably this should happen in the initial installation,
or somehow the permission issue should be avoided.

Erik

P.S. I tried rebuilding the tetex hash via texconfig as Administrator,
      but that was not enough by itself.

* Re: tetex on Vista
@ 2007-12-04 13:40 ` Wilfried
From: Wilfried @ 2007-12-04 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erik Demaine <edemaine@mit.edu> wrote:

> The default installation of Cygwin tetex does not seem to have the
> right permissions for Vista to be happy (with User Account Protection
> turned on, as is default).  Here is an example of an error message:
>
> $ latex filename.tex
> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>   file:line:error style messages enabled.
>   %&-line parsing enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
>
> It seems necessary to chmod -R u+w some subset of
> /var/cache/fonts, /usr/share/texmf, /usr/lib/texmf
> for latex to properly be able to build latex.fmt,
> ditto for pdflatex, and kpathsea to build fonts.
> Presumably this should happen in the initial installation,
> or somehow the permission issue should be avoided.

I also observed this, even with UAC (User Account Control) deactivated.
Windows explorer reports that some files are read-only.
With Explorer's GUI, one can un-check the read-only property and tell
Explorer to set this for all child folders and files, but after this
they were still read-only. Very strange.
Same solution helped (I did a chmod -R u+rw g+rw).

* RE: tetex on Vista
@ 2007-12-04 14:30   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-12-04 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04 December 2007 13:18, Wilfried wrote:

> Erik Demaine <edemaine> wrote:
>
>> The default installation of Cygwin tetex does not seem to have the
>> right permissions for Vista to be happy (with User Account Protection
>> turned on, as is default).  Here is an example of an error message:
>>
>> $ latex filename.tex
>> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
>>   file:line:error style messages enabled.
>>   %&-line parsing enabled.
>> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
>> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
>> found. fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
>> I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!
>>
>> It seems necessary to chmod -R u+w some subset of
>> /var/cache/fonts, /usr/share/texmf, /usr/lib/texmf
>> for latex to properly be able to build latex.fmt,
>> ditto for pdflatex, and kpathsea to build fonts.
>> Presumably this should happen in the initial installation,
>> or somehow the permission issue should be avoided.
>
> I also observed this, even with UAC (User Account Control) deactivated.
> Windows explorer reports that some files are read-only.
> With Explorer's GUI, one can un-check the read-only property and tell
> Explorer to set this for all child folders and files, but after this
> they were still read-only. Very strange.
> Same solution helped (I did a chmod -R u+rw g+rw).

  Hmmm.  I've had problems before with tetex files having no group ownership
after installing as one user but running as another:

  Is it possible that the same thing is happening as a result of running
setup.exe as an admin user under vista but running cygwin itself as the
ordinary limited user?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: tetex on Vista
@ 2007-12-11  4:33 ` Michael Boulet
From: Michael Boulet @ 2007-12-11  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I received identical error messages on a recent WinXP w/ CYGWIN=nontsec
install. Looking through /var/log/setup.log.full, I found that the tetex
post-install script (/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh) was generating a lot of
non-fatal errors regarding unwritable directories (/usr/share/texmf,
/var/cache/fonts). ls and stat reported that the directories are indeed
read-only; however, I was successfully able to touch a new file in each.
Such behavior seems identical to the read-only DOS directory attribute
problem referenced in: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-10/msg00606.html

I think that the fix for the read-only attribute will correct the problem
with the tetex install (or at least my problem). As a short term solution, I
edited several script files called by post-texmf.sh to remove directory
writability tests. I also removed a couple of chmod commands that copied
directory permissions to files (thereby making them read-only). I then
deleted files '/var/cache/fonts/ls-R', '/var/lib/texmf/ls-R', &
'/usr/share/texmf/ls-R' and reran post-texmf.sh (actually
post-texmf.sh.done). I suspect that deleting the 'ls-R' files is not
necessary.

Below is diff's output of changes to the tetex-bin script files:

diff ./old/fmtutil /bin/fmtutil
512d511
<   test -w "$destdir" || abort "format directory \`$destdir' is not
writable"
diff ./old/mktexlsr /bin/mktexlsr
106d105
<   test -w "$db_dir" || { echo "$progname: $db_dir: directory not writable.
Skipping..." >&2; continue; }
110,111d108
<     # Use same permissions as parent directory, minus x,s, or t bits.
<     chmod `kpsestat -xst "$db_dir"` "$db_file"
140,142d136
<   # To be really safe, a loop.
<   until PERMS=`kpsestat = "$db_file"`; do sleep 1; done
<   chmod $PERMS "$db_file_tmp"
diff ./old/texlinks /bin/texlinks
193d192
<   kpseaccess -w "$symlinkdir" || return 1
280,281d278
<     kpseaccess -w $d \
<       || { errmsg "$d: no write permissions. Skipping..."; continue; }
diff ./old/updmap /bin/updmap
826d825
<     test -w "$d" || abort "output directory \`$d' is not writable"
841c840
<   if test -d "$dir" && test -w "$dir"; then
---
>   if test -d "$dir"; then

The default installation of Cygwin tetex does not seem to have the
right permissions for Vista to be happy (with User Account Protection
turned on, as is default).  Here is an example of an error message:

$ latex filename.tex
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
  file:line:error style messages enabled.
  %&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
found.
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

* Intermittent problems on Vista (was: tetex on Vista)
@ 2007-12-12 15:51     ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2007-12-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Dave Korn wrote:

> On 04 December 2007 13:18, Wilfried wrote:
>> I also observed this, even with UAC (User Account Control) deactivated.
>   Is it possible that the same thing is happening as a result of running
> setup.exe as an admin user under vista but running cygwin itself as the
> ordinary limited user?

I had just problems running startx, which failed with a forking error,
and I found the thread about the need to run programs with 'instal'
in their name under 'elevated' rights:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1020271&SiteID=1

...and I wonder what is the status of all this.
Now, my startx suddenly succeeded twice in a row.
I re-ran setup.exe as Administrator, and got the same dialog as
twice before already:

  This program might not have been installed correctly
offering to 'reinstall using recommended settings'...
I could find no mention of this in the FAQ.

I have not deactivated the UAC, should I?

Thanks,
Marc

* Re: Intermittent problems on Vista (was: tetex on Vista)
@ 2007-12-12 16:15       ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2007-12-12 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi again,

I reported that startx worked fine,...

Marc Girod wrote:

> Now, my startx suddenly succeeded twice in a row.

...but emacs started within it does not: I cannot start a 'shell'.
From the *Messages* buffer:

Source file `/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/comint.el' newer than byte-compiled
file
apply: Doing vfork: no error
apply: Doing vfork: resource temporarily unavailable [2 times]

Marc

* emacs shell (was: Intermittent problems on Vista)
@ 2007-12-12 17:37         ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2007-12-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi again,

Still not clear about whether this is just a symptom of a known and generic
problem with Vista...

Marc Girod wrote:

> From the *Messages* buffer:
>
> Source file `/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/comint.el' newer than
> byte-compiled file
> apply: Doing vfork: no error
> apply: Doing vfork: resource temporarily unavailable [2 times]

And the error in the terminal from where emacs was started is (several times
each code, as if at random, with different address ranges):

379530601 [main] emacs 4964 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
0x33B000..0x33B440, done 0, windows pid 4080, Win32 error 487
570693374 [main] emacs 4964 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
0x940000..0x940240, done 0, windows pid 4080, Win32 error 998

Marc

* Not yet supported (was: emacs shell)
@ 2007-12-12 18:40           ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2007-12-12 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi...

Marc Girod wrote:

> And the error in the terminal from where emacs was started is (several
> times each code, as if at random, with different address ranges):
>
> 379530601 [main] emacs 4964 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
> 0x33B000..0x33B440, done 0, windows pid 4080, Win32 error 487
> 570693374 [main] emacs 4964 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
> 0x940000..0x940240, done 0, windows pid 4080, Win32 error 998

OK. I get now the same kind of errors again with startx:

    326 [main] xterm 4680 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
0x869000..0x86CF40, done 0, windows pid 5416, Win32 error 87
xterm: Error 29, errno 11: Resource temporarily unavailable
Reason: spawn: fork() failed
xinit:  Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11):  can't send HUP to
process group 4680

...and I found such hits in older messages in the archive, with other
variants of Windows, in conjunction to inconsistent versions of cygwin1.dll.
I checked there is no such problem now.
But running 'cygcheck -s', I got into:

Windows Longhorn/Vista (not yet supported!) Ver 6.0 Build 6000

Marc

* RE: Not yet supported (was: emacs shell)
@ 2007-12-12 18:52             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-12-12 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12 December 2007 18:40, Marc Girod wrote:

>> And the error in the terminal from where emacs was started is (several
>> times each code, as if at random, with different address ranges):
>>
>> 379530601 [main] emacs 4964 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
>> 0x33B000..0x33B440, done 0, windows pid 4080, Win32 error 487
>> 570693374 [main] emacs 4964 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
>> 0x940000..0x940240, done 0, windows pid 4080, Win32 error 998
>>

> OK. I get now the same kind of errors again with startx:
>
>     326 [main] xterm 4680 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
> 0x869000..0x86CF40, done 0, windows pid 5416, Win32 error 87
> xterm: Error 29, errno 11: Resource temporarily unavailable
> Reason: spawn: fork() failed
> xinit:  Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11):  can't send HUP to
> process group 4680
>
> ...and I found such hits in older messages in the archive, with other
> variants of Windows, in conjunction to inconsistent versions of cygwin1.dll.

  That's one thing that can cause it.  Another cause is interference from
system-call-hooking software such as anti-virus and firewalls.  What the error
message is trying to tell you is that during the fork operation, it has been
unable to duplicate an area of memory from the parent process into the child
process.  Since it's a requirement that fork() create child processes
identically laid out to their parents, this is a fatal situation.

> I checked there is no such problem now.

  Good.  The next things to try would be running a rebaseall[*], and checking
the BLODA[**].

> But running 'cygcheck -s', I got into:
>
> Windows Longhorn/Vista (not yet supported!) Ver 6.0 Build 6000

  Yes, Vista isn't well supported; not a lot of the list members even have it!

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*]  - less -c /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rebase-2.4.3.README
[**] - http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-talk/2007-q4/msg00026.html

* RE: Not yet supported (was: emacs shell)
@ 2007-12-12 19:37               ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2007-12-12 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks...

Dave Korn wrote:

>   Good.  The next things to try would be running a rebaseall[*], and
> checking
> the BLODA[**].

rebaseall ran without any output.
The only BLODA I can recognize is McAfee anti-virus.
There is an integrated WebCam on the laptop, but no Logitech labelled
process in the task manager output.

After this, startx started at least twice in a row, but emacs didn't show
up.
I.e. started, but no window!...

I ran the ash & rebaseall with my normal account, not as Administrator...?

Marc

* Re: Not yet supported
@ 2007-12-12 19:44                 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2007-12-12 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/12/2007 2:37 PM, Marc Girod wrote:

> After this, startx started at least twice in a row, but emacs didn't show
> up.
> I.e. started, but no window!...

This is an old problem.  You have to reinstall libncurses7 to get emacs
back.  See

    http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-10/msg00540.html

Ken

* emacs (was: Not yet supported)
@ 2007-12-12 20:24                   ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2007-12-12 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Ken,

Ken Brown-6 wrote:

> This is an old problem.  You have to reinstall libncurses7 to get emacs
> back.  See
>
>     http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-10/msg00540.html

Indeed.
And my shell started in emacs too...
Gee... but I am short of problems!
Thanks!

Marc

* shell-file-name (was: emacs)
@ 2007-12-12 21:09                     ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2007-12-12 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Marc Girod wrote:

> And my shell started in emacs too...
> Gee... but I am short of problems!

Maybe I can contribute something...
The default value of shell-explicit-shell-file-name in emacs is /bin/sh, not
/usr/bin/bash
with the result that aliases do not work (because even if HOME is defined
correctly
.bashrc is not run).
Of course, this is a trivial customization, but maybe this value is
surprising for people
who might not know to look at it.

Thanks again all!
Marc

* Re: Not yet supported [Attn emacs maintainer]
@ 2007-12-13  1:21                   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2007-12-13  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: Not yet supported [Attn emacs maintainer]
@ 2007-12-13  2:02                     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2007-12-13  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/12/2007 8:23 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> So, is emacs 22.1 ever going to be promoted to current?

Unfortunately, there are serious problems with the (experimental) emacs
22.1 package, as I and at least one other person reported last July when
it was released.  See especially

I haven't heard whether there's been any progress resolving this.

Ken

* Re: Not yet supported [Attn emacs maintainer]
@ 2007-12-13  2:42                       ` NE
From: NE @ 2007-12-13  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear All,

I am trying to use xemacs. After installation of cygwin, I used once
but later it doesn't work. it gives this error: "temacs can only be
run in -batch mode"

what do you suggest?

thanks
regards