* Re: CygWin SVN should identify as CygWin
       [not found] <5020CEC7.3010703@softwareag.com>
@ 2012-08-07  9:47 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-08-07  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jochen.wiedmann, cygwin

On 8/7/2012 10:16 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I apologize if I didn't pick the proper mailing list, but "discussion
> about packages" sounded right to me...

wrong mailing list.
Packages is for discussion between package managers,
not for bugs or help.

Forwarded to the right one: cygwin

> from what I can tell, a user of CygWin SVN has no possibilities to be
> aware of the fact that it is indeed CygWin SVN, and not another program.

$ which svn
/usr/bin/svn

I guess is very clear

> This is the root cause for problems like
>
>     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SCM-213
>
> (This is about an Apache Maven plugin, that uses a file list to specify
> files being committed. Of course, for CygWin SVN the files in the list
> must have a suitable format. Which they have not, as the plugin has no
> idea about the svn binary it is using, apart from the path.) Currently,
> svn --version emits the message below: This should insted be something
> like "svn, version 1.7.5 (CygWin, r1336820)".

I do not understand why you need different file for cygwin.

Commit on cygwin should follow cygwin rules (unix like),
so something like

svn co your_server /cygdrive/c/TomTom/tmp/release/myapp

should be fine.

See also the cygpath usage for conversion between
cygwin and MS path styles

$ cygpath -u "c:\temp"
/cygdrive/c/temp

$ cygpath -u "c:\TomTom\tmp\release\myapp"
/cygdrive/c/TomTom/tmp/release/myapp

> Thanks,
>
> Jochen

Regards
Marco

* Re: CygWin SVN should identify as CygWin
@ 2012-08-07 10:07   ` Jochen Wiedmann
From: Jochen Wiedmann @ 2012-08-07 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marco atzeri; +Cc: cygwin

On 07.08.2012 11:45, marco atzeri wrote:
> I do not understand why you need different file for cygwin.

You gave the answer just below, Marco:

> Commit on cygwin should follow cygwin rules (unix like),
> so something like

SAG Consulting Services GmbH - Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 9, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany - Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 85598 Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Klaus Katz, Arno Theiß - http://www.softwareag.com/

* Re: CygWin SVN should identify as CygWin
@ 2012-08-07 10:37     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-08-07 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochen Wiedmann, cygwin

Greetings, Jochen Wiedmann!

> On 07.08.2012 11:45, marco atzeri wrote:
>> I do not understand why you need different file for cygwin.

> You gave the answer just below, Marco:

>> Commit on cygwin should follow cygwin rules (unix like),
>> so something like

I don't get this topic. At all.
And i'm using Subversion daily.

To all extents and purposes, Cygwin SVN behave just the way I'd expect
from it.
It checkout, export, import, commit without a thought or hesitation.
Moreover, I'm using it transparently on Win and Linux systems (my $HOME is on
Linux raid, mounted to Windows as network share) and with both windows and
Linux servers. (Apache/Win32 with NTLM auth and Apache/x86 under Debian Linux,
with LDAP auth.)

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: CygWin SVN should identify as CygWin
@ 2012-08-07 10:41       ` Jochen Wiedmann
From: Jochen Wiedmann @ 2012-08-07 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin; +Cc: Andrey Repin

On 07.08.2012 12:27, Andrey Repin wrote:

> To all extents and purposes, Cygwin SVN behave just the way I'd expect
> from it.

I didn't say, it behaves wrong. My point is that I need to know that I
am using it, and not another svn, if all I know is "there's a svn binary
in my path".

Jochen

@ 2012-08-07 11:25         ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2012-08-07 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jochen Wiedmann

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>I didn't say, it behaves wrong. My point is that I need to know that I
>am using it, and not another svn, if all I know is "there's a svn binary
>in my path".

This isn't Subversion's responsibility; the problem is more general: how do you
tell if the version of awk, sed or vim are Cygwin ones or not (or ones compiled
containing a specific patch, or built on a particular day, or any other of a
myriad of different things that could make a difference to an executable's
behaviour)?

The general problem has a general solution: check your path and actually
determine which executable you're using. As marco pointed out, use `which` from
a Cygwin shell; from a Windows cmd shell the equivalent command is `where`:

    C:\>where svn
    C:\Program Files\CollabNet\Subversion Client\svn.exe
    C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\svn.exe

PS: Please don't reply directly to me; I'm already on the mailing list and
don't need a second copy. The same goes for everyone else who's replying to
you, particularly if their Reply-To is the mailing list, unless they explicitly
request otherwise, per <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

I'm Cc'ing you explicitly as it's not clear you're signed up to this mailing
list and will receive emails sent solely to it.

* Re: CygWin SVN should identify as CygWin
@ 2012-08-07 14:20           ` Jochen Wiedmann
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Jochen Wiedmann @ 2012-08-07 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07.08.2012 13:15, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

> This isn't Subversion's responsibility; the problem is more general: how do you
> tell if the version of awk, sed or vim are Cygwin ones or not (or ones compiled
> containing a specific patch, or built on a particular day, or any other of a
> myriad of different things that could make a difference to an executable's
> behaviour)?

I don't know about "more general". However, I know very well that
there's a particular project (Maven Release Plugin), which has this very
problem with svn, not with awk, sed, or whatever. And I'd like to
fix that specific problem, not eliminate hunger in the world, or do
whatever more general. To achieve that, I've pointed out a non-intrusive
and harmless change in CygWin SVN, which might help to resolve that problem.

And, besides, your proposed solution won't work: I could, of course,
use "which", or "where" to deduce the location of "svn", but what would
that tell me. Assuming, I get "/usr/bin/svn", then I'd know that "which"
is a CygWin binary (because it emits a CygWin path), but what's got that
to do with svn? The fact that it resides in the CygWin bin directory
doesn't mean it is also a CygWin binary.

Jochen

@ 2012-08-07 14:35         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-08-07 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochen Wiedmann, cygwin

Greetings, Jochen Wiedmann!

>> To all extents and purposes, Cygwin SVN behave just the way I'd expect
>> from it.

> I didn't say, it behaves wrong. My point is that I need to know that I
> am using it, and not another svn, if all I know is "there's a svn binary
> in my path".

For what reason?

Also, please don't add any extraneous recipients to the mails you sent to the
list, unless absolutely necessary.
This one was not necessary. Enough that I have to cleanup my inbox from SPAM,
if I'd need to cleanup it from duplicate list mails, that'd be way overboard.

--

@ 2012-08-07 15:08             ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2012-08-07 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochen Wiedmann, cygwin

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>On 07.08.2012 13:15, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> This isn't Subversion's responsibility; the problem is more general: how do you
>> tell if the version of awk, sed or vim are Cygwin ones or not (or ones compiled
>> containing a specific patch, or built on a particular day, or any other of a
>> myriad of different things that could make a difference to an executable's
>> behaviour)?
>
>I don't know about "more general". However, I know very well that-
>there's a particular project (Maven Release Plugin), which has this very-
>problem with svn, not with awk, sed, or whatever. And I'd like to
>fix that specific problem, not eliminate hunger in the world, or do-
>whatever more general. To achieve that, I've pointed out a non-intrusive-
>and harmless change in CygWin SVN, which might help to resolve that problem.

Your definition of "harmless" does not necessarily match that of the package
maintainer's. You're proposing a Cygwin-specific change from the original
source code. Every such change means extra work for package maintainers, both
to make the change in the first place, then to keep making the change every
time the source code is updated.

>And, besides, your proposed solution won't work: I could, of course,
>use "which", or "where" to deduce the location of "svn", but what would
>that tell me. Assuming, I get "/usr/bin/svn", then I'd know that "which"
>is a CygWin binary (because it emits a CygWin path), but what's got that
>to do with svn? The fact that it resides in the CygWin bin directory
>doesn't mean it is also a CygWin binary.

So you want a solution that will allow you to tell when someone's been hacking
around in Cygwin's bin directory? If you're going to overwrite things in the
bin directory, I think that's something you have to do at your own risk and
knowing what you're doing. Putting executables that don't play nicely with
Cygwin in Cygwin's bin directory seems like an exceptionally bad idea however
you count it.

I think you're looking for the wrong solution. If someone is having trouble
with Maven because they've put Cygwin's bin directory in their path, then they
should clean up their path: Cygwin doesn't put itself in the path exactly
because it can cause problems like this.

* Re: CygWin SVN should identify as CygWin
@ 2012-08-07 15:25             ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2012-08-07 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/7/2012 10:16 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> And, besides, your proposed solution won't work: I could, of course,
> use "which", or "where" to deduce the location of "svn", but what would
> that tell me. Assuming, I get "/usr/bin/svn", then I'd know that "which"
> is a CygWin binary (because it emits a CygWin path), but what's got that
> to do with svn? The fact that it resides in the CygWin bin directory
> doesn't mean it is also a CygWin binary.

If you need something more conclusive than just where 'svn' lives, you can
use 'cygcheck' on the path that 'which' returns.  Something like
'cygcheck $(which svn) | grep cygwin1.dll' should be sufficient.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2012-08-07 17:15             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2012-08-07 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochen Wiedmann, cygwin

Greetings, Jochen Wiedmann!

> I don't know about "more general". However, I know very well that
> there's a particular project (Maven Release Plugin), which has this very
> problem with svn,

Then this is problem of Maven.
Subversion libraries supposed to be linked directly, not used through "svn"
command-line wrapper.
For more details, go read http://svn-book.org/

--

@ 2012-08-08 16:30               ` Jochen Wiedmann
From: Jochen Wiedmann @ 2012-08-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

On 07.08.2012 18:30, Andrey Repin wrote:

> Subversion libraries supposed to be linked directly, not used through "svn"
> command-line wrapper.
> For more details, go read http://svn-book.org/

Quite obviously, you never attempted to support a diverse user basis
(just think of all the platforms) in Java (or another programming
language) using C libraries. I don't think, it is required to point
out the various problems.

Suffice it to say, that historically the SVN Java bindings where
the starting point for most projects integrating SVN into Java,
but where dropped for a reason.

Jochen

@ 2012-08-08 16:58 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2012-08-08 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/7/2012 1:16 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> from what I can tell, a user of CygWin SVN has no possibilities to be
> aware of the fact that it is indeed CygWin SVN, and not another program.
> This is the root cause for problems like
>
>    http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SCM-213

As the volunteer Cygwin Subversion packager, I guess I should chime in here.

I'm not going to customize the --version string to indicate SVN is
Cygwin. I have no idea if other tools or scripts are parsing this, so
I'm not going to make it different from what --version reports on all
other platforms.

As others have mentioned, there are several other solutions, such as
looking at the output of "which svn". (If it says /usr/bin/svn, it's
Cygwin.) It is also possible to do a functionality test, e.g. by looking
at the output of "svn info /tmp".

Another possibility is to use Subversion bindings instead of the CLI, as
others have mentioned. For Java apps, there is also SVNKit, a 100% Java
subversion library implementation.

Regarding the problem with Maven you referenced, a better solution (and
one suggested in the comments) is to add an option to Maven so one can
configure which svn binary is used. Failing that, one can easily write a
wrapper script for Maven that will put a native svn binary ahead of the
Cygwin one in the path.

Ryan's Law:
        Make three correct guesses consecutively
        and you will establish yourself as an expert.