* Status of inclusion of Cygwin/MingW into Main GCC
@ 2000-03-21  9:28 Uwe Bonnes
From: Uwe Bonnes @ 2000-03-21  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo,

I read the Cygwin Newsgroup from time to time but haven't found a
statement about the policy regarding inclusion of Cygwin/Mingw into
the main GCC tree.

Can anybody tell me about the plans?

Thanks

* Re: Status of inclusion of Cygwin/MingW into Main GCC
@ 2000-03-21  9:34 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-21  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: bon

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 06:28:31PM +0100, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>Hallo,
>
>I read the Cygwin Newsgroup from time to time but haven't found a
>statement about the policy regarding inclusion of Cygwin/Mingw into
>the main GCC tree.
>
>Can anybody tell me about the plans?

Can you be more specific?  GCC already has a cygwin and mingw target
so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

cgf

* Re: Status of inclusion of Cygwin/MingW into Main GCC
@ 2000-03-21  9:37   ` Uwe Bonnes
From: Uwe Bonnes @ 2000-03-21  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: bon

Chris Faylor writes:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 06:28:31PM +0100, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> >Hallo,
> >
> >I read the Cygwin Newsgroup from time to time but haven't found a
> >statement about the policy regarding inclusion of Cygwin/Mingw into
> >the main GCC tree.
> >
> >Can anybody tell me about the plans?
>
> Can you be more specific?  GCC already has a cygwin and mingw target
> so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Huch...

Are you talking about plain gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz or a present develloper
snapshot?

Bye

* Re: Status of inclusion of Cygwin/MingW into Main GCC
@ 2000-03-21  9:40     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-21  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Bonnes; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 06:37:14PM +0100, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>Chris Faylor writes:
>> On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 06:28:31PM +0100, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>> >Hallo,
>> >
>> >I read the Cygwin Newsgroup from time to time but haven't found a
>> >statement about the policy regarding inclusion of Cygwin/Mingw into
>> >the main GCC tree.
>> >
>> >Can anybody tell me about the plans?
>>
>> Can you be more specific?  GCC already has a cygwin and mingw target
>> so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
>
>Huch...
>
>Are you talking about plain gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz or a present develloper
>snapshot?

I'm talking about just about any gcc since 1997 or so.

cgf

* Re: Status of inclusion of Cygwin/MingW into Main GCC
@ 2000-03-21 10:14     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 2000-03-21 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Bonnes; +Cc: cygwin

Uwe Bonnes <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:
> Huch...
>
> Are you talking about plain gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz or a present develloper
> snapshot?

GCC for all x86-win32 targets is still evolving, and the changes that
we've made to gcc-2.95.x branch will NOT make it into the official gcc
release branch (the release branch is frozen for new features). Most
of these changes are incorporated into the mainline gcc, ie., the
development branch, and will show up in the next major release.

Since we provide full sources, and will provide full diffs if requested,
I don't see this as a problem. The alternative is of course to cripple
our gcc releases and only provide what's in the official gcc-2.95.2
release. That is not likely to happen.

The GCC sources you get from the Cygwin/Mingw/etc release is simply a
superset of what you get in official gcc-2.95.2 release. I use that to
build our 10 or so targets, and do test it for regression to make sure
we're not crippling other host/target combinations.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Status of inclusion of Cygwin/MingW into Main GCC
@ 2000-03-21 10:21       ` Uwe Bonnes
From: Uwe Bonnes @ 2000-03-21 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mumit Khan; +Cc: cygwin

Mumit Khan writes:
> GCC for all x86-win32 targets is still evolving, and the changes that
> we've made to gcc-2.95.x branch will NOT make it into the official gcc
> release branch (the release branch is frozen for new features). Most
> of these changes are incorporated into the mainline gcc, ie., the
> development branch, and will show up in the next major release.
>
> Since we provide full sources, and will provide full diffs if requested,
> I don't see this as a problem. The alternative is of course to cripple
> our gcc releases and only provide what's in the official gcc-2.95.2
> release. That is not likely to happen.
>
> The GCC sources you get from the Cygwin/Mingw/etc release is simply a
> superset of what you get in official gcc-2.95.2 release. I use that to
> build our 10 or so targets, and do test it for regression to make sure
> we're not crippling other host/target combinations.

Thanks for the clarification!

Bye