* A bit OT: vi in telnet session
@ 2000-08-21  2:15 Andreas Zielke
From: Andreas Zielke @ 2000-08-21  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi *,

I guess this posting is a bit off-topic, but I don't know any news-
group that would be more appropriate. (If you do, please tell me.)

When I telnet to a machine (running SunOS 5.7), using the telnet-
program that comes with 1.1.4 Cygwin an start vi I get this error-
message:

bash-2.03$ vi
cygwin: Unknown terminal type
Visual needs addressable cursor or upline capability
:

Is there a simple solution (like setting TERM to something else)
to this?

Thanks,
  Andreas

--
Andreas Zielke          mailto:andreas.zielke@sdm.de
sd&m AG                 http://www.sdm.de

* Re: A bit OT: vi in telnet session
@ 2000-08-21  2:47 Neil Lunn
From: Neil Lunn @ 2000-08-21  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andreas.zielke, cygwin

>From: Andreas Zielke <andreas.zielke@sdm.de>
>To: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
>Subject: A bit OT: vi in telnet session
>Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:14:50 +0200 (Westeuropäische Sommerzeit)
>
>Hi *,
>
>I guess this posting is a bit off-topic, but I don't know any news-
>group that would be more appropriate. (If you do, please tell me.)

Yup! Off-topic all right

alt.unix, alt.solaris, comp.os.unix, comp.os.unix.misc, comp.unix.solaris

>Is there a simple solution (like setting TERM to something else)
>to this?

Yup! ansi, vt100 etc, etc. Anthing but cygwin, or create an entry for
termcap!

* Re: A bit OT: vi in telnet session
@ 2000-08-21  5:43 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-08-21  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)