* Re: [PORTS] PostgreSQL and Cygwin 1.1.x
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0009291454290.363-100000@peter>
@ 2000-09-29  6:26   ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2000-09-29  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org'; +Cc: Cygwin

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 03:03:42PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> OTOH, B20 is technically a beta release, and if dropping it would provide
> for significant simplifications, then the Cygwin user community could make
> that call.

IMO, I think that it is very reasonable to drop support for B20 because
Cygnus themselves do not really support B20 anymore.  I routinely see
issues that encourage upgrading to the latest Cygwin Net Release.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

* Re: [PORTS] PostgreSQL and Cygwin 1.1.x
@ 2000-09-29  6:54     ` Pete Forman
From: Pete Forman @ 2000-09-29  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'pgsql-ports@postgreSQL.org', Cygwin

Jason Tishler writes:
 > On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 03:03:42PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
 > > OTOH, B20 is technically a beta release, and if dropping it would
 > > provide for significant simplifications, then the Cygwin user
 > > community could make that call.
 >
 > IMO, I think that it is very reasonable to drop support for B20
 > because Cygnus themselves do not really support B20 anymore.  I
 > routinely see responses from the core Cygwin team to posts on the
 > list regarding B20 issues that encourage upgrading to the latest
 > Cygwin Net Release.

We'd not exactly be dropping support for B20.  I built PostgreSQL
7.0.2 on it using both cygipc 1.03 + patch and 1.07.  It's just that
the instructions for building on 1.1.4 are much more straightforward.
Instructions such as "get a copy of libcrypt" are obsolete.
Presumably 7.0.3 will be even simpler.

Some sort of hint is needed for those who want to use B20, e.g.
pointers to the mail archives and an old copy of faq-nt.
But no more than that.
--
Pete Forman                 -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
Western Geophysical           -./\.-  by myself and does not represent