* ssh: Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
@ 2001-11-08 19:07 Jeff Mincy
From: Jeff Mincy @ 2001-11-08 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I get "Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
when I try to do ssh X11 forwarding for the following command:
    'ssh -X -f jeff@delphioutpost.com xemacs'

The contents of ssh -v output is attached:

[-- Attachment #2: cygcheck.out --]

* Re: ssh: Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
@ 2001-11-09  4:11 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-11-09  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Mincy; +Cc: cygwin

Jeff Mincy wrote:

> I get "Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
> when I try to do ssh X11 forwarding for the following command:
>     'ssh -X -f jeff@delphioutpost.com xemacs'
>
> The contents of ssh -v output is attached:

Ok you can look for more information on this topic and possible
solutions if you search the mailing list using "The descriptor is a
file, not a socket".

[ ... ]

> The cygcheck output is attached:

>                       Name: cygcheck.out
>    cygcheck.out       Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
>                   Encoding: base64

Now this looks kinda strange to me - the attached files has some garbage
in
it a two points - could that be some kind of bug in cygcheck ?! Does
anyone
see the garbage in the attached file as I do ?

* Re: ssh: Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
@ 2001-11-09  4:38   ` Mark Himsley
From: Mark Himsley @ 2001-11-09  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:11:20 +0100 you wrote:

>> The cygcheck output is attached:
>>

>Now this looks kinda strange to me - the attached files has some garbage
>in
>it a two points - could that be some kind of bug in cygcheck ?! Does
>anyone
>see the garbage in the attached file as I do ?

I think the attachment is corrupt.

--
Mark Himsley
In Acton

* Re: ssh: Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
@ 2001-11-09  4:43 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-11-09  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Mincy; +Cc: cygwin

Jeff, can you run cygcheck again and send the output to the maling list
or to me personally since the previous one seemed to be corrupt.

@ 2001-11-09  6:38   ` Jeff Mincy
From: Jeff Mincy @ 2001-11-09  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Tsekov; +Cc: cygwin

   From: Pavel Tsekov <ptsekov@syntrex.com>
   Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:43:29 +0100

   Jeff Mincy wrote:
   > The cygcheck output is attached:
   >    cygcheck.out       Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
   >                   Encoding: base64

Sorry, the attachment was trashed.  Seems to be a
windows/xemacs/problem that I'll track down eventually.
-jeff

* Re: ssh: Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
@ 2001-11-09  6:57   ` Jeff Mincy
From: Jeff Mincy @ 2001-11-09  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

   From: Pavel Tsekov <ptsekov@syntrex.com>
   Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:11:20 +0100

   Jeff Mincy wrote:

   > I get "Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
   > when I try to do ssh X11 forwarding for the following command:
   >     'ssh -X -f jeff@delphioutpost.com xemacs'
   >
   > The contents of ssh -v output is attached:

   Ok you can look for more information on this topic and possible
   solutions if you search the mailing list using "The descriptor is a
   file, not a socket".

   [ ... ]

I had searched the archive for the entire
  "Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
and got 5 hits (starting with my report of this problem in a snapshot)
doing the search on
  "descriptor is a file not a socket"
gets ten pages of hits on rsync, inetd, postgres, cvs, getpeername.
Is there a particular message that I'm missing?

   > The cygcheck output is attached:
   >    cygcheck.out       Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
   >                   Encoding: base64

   Now this looks kinda strange to me - the attached files has some
   garbage in it a two points - could that be some kind of bug in
   cygcheck ?! Does anyone see the garbage in the attached file as I
   do ?

It was trashed - should have overridden the default (& broken)
octet-stream content type.

-jeff

* Re: ssh: Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
@ 2001-11-09  7:06     ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-11-09  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Mincy; +Cc: cygwin

Jeff Mincy wrote:

>    From: Pavel Tsekov <ptsekov@syntrex.com>
>    Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:11:20 +0100
>
>    Jeff Mincy wrote:
>    >
>    > I get "Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
>    > when I try to do ssh X11 forwarding for the following command:
>    >     'ssh -X -f jeff@delphioutpost.com xemacs'
>    >
>    > The contents of ssh -v output is attached:
>
>    Ok you can look for more information on this topic and possible
>    solutions if you search the mailing list using "The descriptor is a
>    file, not a socket".
>
>    [ ... ]
>
> I had searched the archive for the entire
>   "Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket"
> and got 5 hits (starting with my report of this problem in a snapshot)
> doing the search on
>   "descriptor is a file not a socket"
> gets ten pages of hits on rsync, inetd, postgres, cvs, getpeername.
> Is there a particular message that I'm missing?

Hehe, ok :) This seems to be a common problem on Win9x systems. The
suggested
solution generally was to upgrade to a recent CVS snapshot version of
cygwin1.dll
and see if it helps or upgrade to WinNT/2k/XP.

* re: ssh: Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Jeff Mincy
From: Jeff Mincy @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

BTW,  The problem reported in

with ssh getting a socket 'ENOTSOCK' error is fixed in
cygwin-1.3.5-1

-jeff

* re: ssh: Write failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
@ 2001-11-01 21:43 Jeff Mincy