* RE: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01  7:47 Mark Sheppard
From: Mark Sheppard @ 2002-03-01  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Markus Hoenicka', Randall R Schulz, cygwin

Surely if you were bothering to make a CD you'd want to include
everything anyway, thus you wouldn't need dependency checking.

Mark.

From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2002-03-01  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Sheppard, cygwin

Mark Sheppard writes:
 > Surely if you were bothering to make a CD you'd want to include
 > everything anyway, thus you wouldn't need dependency checking.

Thus qoth the man behind a fat pipe. I don't know about the original
poster's situation, but if you use a modem connection the dependency
checking is highly welcome to be a tad more selective with your
bandwidth.

regards,
Markus
--
Markus Hoenicka, PhD
UT Houston Medical School

* Re: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01 17:37                 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-01 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Rob,

[ Our mails are crossing, so just know that I've read both the post I'm
replying to directly here and the subsequent amplification. I think we are
mostly just agreeing, albeit loudly. ]

>It did *what* ? How do you reproduce it?

Grumble. That must be an even-day bug, because when I went to try to
reproduce it just now, the mis-behavior was gone.

Here's what I remember. About a half-dozen package updates had been
announced since I last updated, so I decided to use them as a test case for
the new setup.exe. It (NEW setup.exe) downloaded the bulk of those packages
(including their source bundles) and then reported an error (a size
mis-match, if I recall correctly) and offered to download again. I say OK
and it downloaded ALL of those packages again, this time without error.
Then, for whatever reason, I decided to run through the download again from
the top, and NEW setup.exe it listed all those packages as requiring download.

All this was with my old trusty favorite mirror: http://mirrors.rcn.net.

At that point, I went back to the previous setup.exe (2.125.2.10) and
downloaded (again) and installed the latest package updates.

Sorry to alarm you. Sadly, at this point all I can say is that it could
have been cockpit error (occasionally I forget to switch the radio buttons
to one of "Download ..." or "Install from Local Directory") or it could
have been a glitch in setup.exe itself.

If more details surface, I'll pass them along.

More below...

At 17:06 2002-03-01, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

That's all very nice, but I'm actually completely contented with what we
have now. Let me be clear that I have no problems or complaints with setup
(old or new, with the now retracted exception described above). I'm very
happy with what you (all) have given us. Considering I started using Cygwin
with b18, you can understand that I have a fair perspective on the
improvements, including but not limited to installation support, over the
past several years. It's just that I have a hard time accepting the
repeated admonition that setup.exe is "not a mirroring tool" when clearly
it mirrors Cygwin just fine, for my purposes. I cannot see why one would
use it for any other purpose, and perhaps that's what you're trying to
forestall.

I certainly do reach for wget for all my general-purpose mirroring and
Internet retrieval--I love it!

> > I'm a software developer, too. I fully understand and accept the need to
> > keep one's options open. Ideally this is done by careful wording of specs.
> > I guess that doesn't really apply here, since we're not talking about an
> > API or any other highly formal (or very complex) specification.
> > Nonetheless, I'm more than happy accommodate such hedges and reserved and /
> > or (pre-) announced behavior changes (e.g., removal of the old
> > interpreatation of the "//" file name prefix in the Cygwin DLL). It would
> > be nice to know, of course, what the anticipated change is. Just saying
> > "Here's a feature. It's there in plain sight. Please don't use it." without
> > adding "lest you risk ..." is kind of hard to accept.
>
>I've not said that :}. Chuck didn't say that either. Paraphrasing what he
>said : 'don't expect setup.exe to behave like a mirroring tool'. And
>'don't depend on the setup.exe local cache dir structure to remain the same'.

OK, but if the "local cache dir" is not a mirror, as is commonly
understood, then telling me to use a tool such as wget that will produce a
conventional "mirror image" is asking me not to be able to install.

Either setup.exe "mirrors" the download site, or a conventional "mirroring"
tool is unusable as a substitute for the download functionality of
setup.exe. I don't see how it can be both.

>Rob

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

* Re: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01 17:23             ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-01 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Randall R Schulz

Sorry about the length, just wanted to be really clear...
===
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-01 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Randall R Schulz

@ 2002-03-01 16:57             ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-01 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chuck,

At 16:33 2002-03-01, you wrote:
> [...]

be nice to know, of course, what the anticipated change is. Just saying
"Here's a feature. It's there in plain sight. Please don't use it." without
adding "lest you risk ..." is kind of hard to accept.

>>>Sure.  And some people (incl. me) still boot their linux boxen into
>>>console mode and only run X when required.  But that's still no reason
>>>not to develop xdm/gdm/kdm graphical logon managers.
>>
>>I don't believe that analogy is particularly apt. I'm not smitten with
>>GUIs and I still don't believe a good IDE exists. If the bulk of the
>>(vocal) S/W developers were to be believed, syntax coloring and
>>auto-completion were the end-all of programming support, but I find them
>>unhelpful and undesirable. "In the beginning was the command line..." I
>>guess I'm still at the beginning, in some ways.
>

>I guess I misunderstood your complaint.  Sorry.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

* Re: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01 16:40               ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> At 16:33 2002-03-01, you wrote:
>
>> [please don't send me personal email related to cygwin.  Keep it on
>> the list]
>

> Just following your lead.

Huh?  Wha...???  Oh, I see.  My earlier messages were "reply to all" --
which meant they were sent (a) directly to you, and also (b) copied to
the list.  Opinions may vary, but personally I consider that to fall
within the definition of "keeping it on the list".  But that's just my
(N-S) humble opinion.  Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.

--Chuck

* Re: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01 16:34             ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-01 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 16:33 2002-03-01, you wrote:
>[please don't send me personal email related to cygwin.  Keep it on the list]

Just following your lead.

* Re: "local install"?
       [not found]         ` <5.1.0.14.2.20020301160226.02538020@pop3.cris.com>
@ 2002-03-01 16:31           ` Charles Wilson
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-01 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, cygwin

@ 2002-03-01 16:04 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-01 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Randall R Schulz; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

Yes - federation is good. RPM and .deb achieved this a long time ago...
And now we do to :].

Rob

* RE: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01 16:02 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Randall R Schulz; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

"Download from internet" mode does perform this merging, and the install
from local directory grabs all the found .ini files, and then performs
the same merging. So no loss of functionality.

From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, Charles Wilson; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

Ctrl-click or shift-click in the setup mirror site list.

> Furthermore, why doesn't the multi-mirror technique, however
> effected, work
> for separated download and install, too?

It does.

Rob

* Re: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01 10:55         ` Charles Wilson
       [not found]         ` <5.1.0.14.2.20020301160226.02538020@pop3.cris.com>
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-01 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> I cannot get setup.exe to permit multiple selection of mirrors, so how
> is this magical seamless multi-mirror integration achieved? Can it be
> done without running setup.exe more than once?

Yes -- you should be able to shift-click or ctrl-click select multiple
items in the mirror list (assuming you are using the NEW setup snapshot
20020225).

> If not, what's the
> advantage over separate download and install?
>
> Furthermore, why doesn't the multi-mirror technique, however effected,
> work for separated download and install, too?

Because there is no 'remote site selection' step if you are not
installing/downloading.  Sure, you could do a multi-site non-install
download using setup, and then run setup in 'local dir' mode to install.
  But setup is NOT meant to be an archiving/mirroring tool.  It is an
installation tool.  If you want a local mirror -- USE a mirroring tool.
  Good grief, wget has special mirroring options -- that's what I use...

> Lastly, am I correct in believing that if one wants to download anything
> but not install it (source, e.g., or packages used by some at one's site
> but not by all) that separate download and install is the only way to
> accomplish this?

if the remote site provides a local version of setup.ini that accurately
describes the contents of that remote site, then you should be able to
select the (non-standard) site as a 'download location' and setup.exe
will merge all selected sites, and download (or dl/install) the most
recent copy of each selected package, from whatever location has the
most recent version  (incl. packages from the non-standard site).

> It still seems to me that control freaks are going to do as I do:
> Separate download and install.

Sure.  And some people (incl. me) still boot their linux boxen into
console mode and only run X when required.  But that's still no reason
not to develop xdm/gdm/kdm graphical logon managers.

Currently, there are no sites that provide cygwin packages in
setup-approved format, that are not part of the official cygwin mirror
system.  (Because until now, you couldn't use setup to install from
ANYPLACE other than localdir or an *official* mirror site).  Now that
you can enter custom URLs and do multi-site selection, I imagine that
many uses will be found for the new functionality.

@ 2002-03-01  8:00       ` Randall R Schulz
       [not found]         ` <5.1.0.14.2.20020301160226.02538020@pop3.cris.com>
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-01  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

Chuck,

At 07:47 2002-03-01, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Randall R Schulz wrote:
>

>>I don't understand this. You get maximum flexibility by separate
>>"Download from Internet" and "Install from Local Directory" operations.
>>That way you can download sources and have them at hand without
>>unconditionally installing them.
>>
>>By copying my local installation cache to a CD, I can save others very
>>large downloads. I cannot see this as a loss of functionality.
>>
>>Can you tell me some functionality only available when one uses "Install
>>from Internet?"
>

>Sure:  merging multiple "mirrors" into a seamless single-view
>installation.  (Or, merging an official mirror site + "Bob's archive of
>cool cygwin packages" + "My company's local cygwin ports" into a single,
>always-up-to-date single seamless installation).  Sure, you could manually
>download the packages you are interested in from all 27 sites, merge them
>into a single local repo, and then do 'install-from-local' -- but setup's
>"extra functionality" automatically handles that stuff for you -- just
>point-n-click.
>
>--Chuck

* Re: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01  7:49     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-01  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

@ 2002-03-01  7:44     ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2002-03-01  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, cygwin

--

@ 2002-03-01  7:33   ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-03-01  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

Markus,

At 07:31 2002-03-01, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Toni Mueller writes:
>  > So my current guess is that I can download some stuff using eg. my Linux
>  > workstation, put them on CD and then move the CD to the W2k box for
>  > local installation there. Can anyone please confirm that? Can anyone
>  > please tell me which version of setup.exe I should get to be able to
>  > install from a local directory?
>
>You lose a lot of the functionality of setup.exe if you do it this way but
>you can certainly do this if you want to have a hard time.

I don't understand this. You get maximum flexibility by separate "Download
from Internet" and "Install from Local Directory" operations. That way you
can download sources and have them at hand without unconditionally
installing them.

By copying my local installation cache to a CD, I can save others very
large downloads.

I cannot see this as a loss of functionality.

Can you tell me some functionality only available when one uses "Install
from Internet?"

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

>regards,
>Markus

* "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01  7:24 ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2002-03-01  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Toni Mueller writes:
 > So my current guess is that I can download some stuff using eg. my Linux
 > workstation, put them on CD and then move the CD to the W2k box for
 > local installation there. Can anyone please confirm that? Can anyone
 > please tell me which version of setup.exe I should get to be able to
 > install from a local directory?

You lose a lot of the functionality of setup.exe if you do it this way
but you can certainly do this if you want to have a hard time.

 > (Apart from that I always thought that doing online-installs is both
 > error-prone and insecure in most cases, and in general, a M$ disease -
 > why does RedHat do it?)

This is just not true. Debian's apt-get retrieves packages by default
from the web, and so do several RPM-based utilities. FreeBSD's ports
collection grabs the sources from the web by default, and precompiled
packages can also be installed from the web. It's certainly not a M$
disease but rather common practice.

regards,
Markus

--

@ 2002-03-01  7:13 ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2002-03-01  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Toni Mueller wrote:
> So my current guess is that I can download some stuff using eg. my Linux
> workstation, put them on CD and then move the CD to the W2k box for
> local installation there. Can anyone please confirm that? Can anyone

Have you looked at the current version of setup.exe at all. It is accessible
via http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020225.exe.

When you run setup you get three choices for install - install from internet,
download from internet and install from local directory.  First do the
download and select an install directory. Then after you move to cd and have
the new machine then run setup.exe and select install from local directory and
select the new local download path where your cd is.  It should be that simple.

* "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01  2:13 Toni Mueller
From: Toni Mueller @ 2002-03-01  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: support

Hello,

after reading the docs on the web site and searching the list archive
on MARC a bit, there appears to be no "supported" way to install while
being offline. Eg. I will soon have a W2k box that I want to install on,
but certainly won't connect this box to the Internet to do it.

So my current guess is that I can download some stuff using eg. my Linux
workstation, put them on CD and then move the CD to the W2k box for
local installation there. Can anyone please confirm that? Can anyone
please tell me which version of setup.exe I should get to be able to
install from a local directory?

(Apart from that I always thought that doing online-installs is both
error-prone and insecure in most cases, and in general, a M$ disease -
why does RedHat do it?)

TIA!

Best,
--Toni++