From: jeff <jeff@jeffunit.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: problem with gnupg2 not prompting for passphrase
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 17:56:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 7/11/2017 10:51 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-07-10 23:07, Thomas Wolff wrote:

>>> I have my keys stored in $HOME/.gnupg which is where gnupg v1 expects them.
>
> gnupg2 uses the same --homedir paths, $GNUPGHOME env var, native Windows reg
> key, and native Windows portable apps homedir as gnupg1.
>
>> Just guessing: Some software does not look in $HOME for config files (e.g.
>> openssh) but expects them in /home/...
>
> OpenSSH expects user config files in ~/.ssh/ where ~ is $HOME, or the home
> directory from "getent passwd $LOGNAME", which defaults to /.
>
> They'd better expect $HOME, not /home/$LOGNAME, as $HOME could also be
> /u/$LOGNAME, /mnt/nfs/OrkeyDorkey, or /mnt/Network\ Users/Orkey\ Dorkey! ;^>

The problem almost certainly lies with pinentry. It seems to be a new
feature of gnupg2. As I demonstrated, there is no problem finding my
public key, nor my private key, which are located in the default place.
The problem is the method used to get the passphrase is very broken.
After reading some stuff via google, I added

GPG_TTY=$(tty)
export GPG_TTY

to my .bashrc file, with no observable changes.

jeff