* RE: vim problem (win xp): Cygwin seems unable to move the input cursor to arbitrary positions.
@ 2005-01-12 17:03 White, Robert (IT)
From: White, Robert (IT) @ 2005-01-12 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: White, Robert (IT)

Also mks toolkit seems to set this particular term setting.

Regards

Rob White
London DBA Group

Robert.White@morganstanley.com

+44 207 6773609

@ 2005-01-12 17:36   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-01-12 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 01:22 AM 1/12/2005, you wrote:
>anamtharon wrote:
>>
>> ok.
>> the solution to my little problem is this:
>>
>>         :set term=cygwin
>>
>> which used to be initially set to 'nutc' (term=nutc).
>>
>> that was all. wonder what had changed that.
>
>That would be Rational Rose I believe.  If you have that installed it
>seems to set $TERM to nutc, which makes some cygwin curses apps fail in
>wierd ways.

I've heard rumors that it also sets some other conflicting environment
variables, like HOME I think.  You might want to review your environment
variables.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: vim problem (win xp): Cygwin seems unable to move the input cursor to arbitrary positions.
@ 2005-01-12  9:29 ` Jon A. Lambert
From: Jon A. Lambert @ 2005-01-12  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

anamtharon wrote:
> Revised solution (version 2).
> New cygwin.bat file:
>
> @echo off
> set SHELL=sh
> set HOME=c:\cygwin\home\anamtharon
> set TERM=cygwin
> Now that's it.

Not quite it!

Rational can also add these to your environment:
TERMCAP=C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\etc\termcap
TERMINFO=C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\usr\lib\terminfo

So I added this in my cygwin batch file as well.
SET TERMCAP=/etc/termcap
SET TERMINFO=/usr/share/terminfo

Another annoying thing is with Rational Common in your path, autotooled
projects find a program called hostinfo which pops up a windows dialog box
during auto configuraton.  The fall back position I think is hostname.  Now
I consulted man pages on hostinfo and I can't really tell you the difference
between what hostinfo and hostname output.

I created a softlink in the cygwin bin directory.
ln -s /bin/hostname hostinfo

I cannot tell whether this is correct or not as I don't have access to a
system that has a real hostinfo to compare the output.
It didn't appear to cause problems for the autotooled projects as they had
properly discovered my hostname.

And not to mention Rational Test has a perl.exe in it's directory making the
number of perls on my machine 4 in number . *sigh*

--
J. Lambert

@ 2005-01-12  8:40 anamtharon
From: anamtharon @ 2005-01-12  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ok, i'm sorry. i have forgotten to add a line to the batch file, because i had added it to the .vimrc
file before.

the line is this: 'set TERM=cygwin'. so here we go again...

Revised solution (version 2).
New cygwin.bat file:

	@echo off
	set SHELL=sh
	set HOME=c:\cygwin\home\anamtharon
	set TERM=cygwin

	c:
	chdir c:\cygwin\bin

	bash --login -i

Now that's it.

see you around!
anamtharøn

* Re: vim problem (win xp): Cygwin seems unable to move the input cursor to arbitrary positions.
@ 2005-01-12  7:59 anamtharon
From: anamtharon @ 2005-01-12  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

at brian; you're right. rational rose has changed my environment and cygwin is confused in believing
that the SHELL was changed to some freak rational product and pointed the HOME variable to the
windows home path in Documents and Settings (or something. am using the german windows version, so i
don't really know what perverse translation the germans had used this time to make it read 'Dokumente
und Einstellungen').

so, where i said that a quick ':set term=cygwin' would solve the problem, it actually fixed only the
weird output behavior, but my .vimrc settings wouldn't have been read, etc.

Revised solution.

to (hopefully) get it right this time, i edited the cygwin.bat batch file to say something like:

	@echo off
	set SHELL=sh
	set HOME=c:\cygwin\home\anamtharon

	c:
	chdir c:\cygwin\bin

	bash --login -i

the second and third line should make a temporary fix for the cygwin session but not alter the
environment which rational rose most surely will be needing.

for my system at least, this seems to work alright.

That's it.

thank you guys for your time and effort.
hope you'll have a nice day, too!

anamtharøn

* Re: vim problem (win xp): Cygwin seems unable to move the input cursor to arbitrary positions.
@ 2005-01-12  6:47 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-01-12  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

@ 2005-01-12  6:27 anamtharon
From: anamtharon @ 2005-01-12  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ok.
the solution to my little problem is this:

	:set term=cygwin

which used to be initially set to 'nutc' (term=nutc).

that was all. wonder what had changed that.

thanks for the comments.

at Raye; the console version is fine for me, thanks a bunch!

at Mr. Hall; sorry for neglecting etiquette. didn't have the time to learn what it takes to be a
community member, just wanted a quick fix for this problem, since i have to present a project this
morning (which is still needing to get done!) and cygwin is presently all i've got :)

o-key.
you all have a good day!

anamtharøn

* Re: vim problem (win xp): Cygwin seems unable to move the input cursor to arbitrary positions.
@ 2005-01-12  6:20 ` Raye Raskin
From: Raye Raskin @ 2005-01-12  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Larry Hall @ 2005-01-12  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anamtharon, cygwin

At 10:24 PM 1/11/2005, you wrote:
>Good morning.
>
>Since i've updated cygwin i only had time to try out vim again, and there seems to be a problem with
>the automatic movement of the input cursor.
>
>E.g. after simple character input, the cursor isn't moved to the next positon (but vim keeps
>overwriting the last character i typed). And when typing a command (with the initial ':'), although
>the ':' is getting printed to the proper bottom line, everything i type after that is getting put
>into the document view (or wossname), only that this time the cursor position is getting incremented,
>so that i actually can write a whole line of command-line text which also even is properly
>interpreted as a command.
>
>But what's really strange, is this. When i now split the screen with ':sp', the upper document view
>behaves like the original, but the lower suddenly is working just fine. I can write whole lines of
>text, manually move the cursor about, i.e. do all the fancy things i used to do (in the good old
>days).
>
>I look forward to any comments.

OK, let's start here:

Holliston, MA 01746

* vim problem (win xp): Cygwin seems unable to move the input cursor to arbitrary positions.
@ 2005-01-12  4:14 anamtharon