* autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-30 20:28 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-08-30 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just noticed that autoconf 2.54-1 writes configure files with DOS
CR/LF line ends!
what's up?!
I check "unix" in "default text file type" setup option and I do not
have any CRs in the configure.in files!
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
To a Lisp hacker, XML is S-expressions with extra cruft.

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-30 20:33 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2003-08-30 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sam Steingold wrote:

> I just noticed that autoconf 2.54-1 writes configure files with DOS
> CR/LF line ends!
> what's up?!
> I check "unix" in "default text file type" setup option and I do not
> have any CRs in the configure.in files!

autoconf is a perl program.  There were some releases of perl that had a
few issues with incorrectly using DOS line endings even on binary
mounts.  Try upgrading perl to the most recent release (5.8.0-5 for
"regular" cygwin; 5.8.1-something for "test" or "experimental" cygwin)

--
Chuck

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-30 21:10   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-08-30 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> * In message <3F50F788.8020503@ece.gatech.edu>
> * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> * Sent on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:14:16 -0400
> * Honorable Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
>
> Sam Steingold wrote:
>
> > I just noticed that autoconf 2.54-1 writes configure files with DOS
> > CR/LF line ends!
> > what's up?!
> > I check "unix" in "default text file type" setup option and I do not
> > have any CRs in the configure.in files!
>
> autoconf is a perl program.  There were some releases of perl that had
> a few issues with incorrectly using DOS line endings even on binary
> mounts.  Try upgrading perl to the most recent release (5.8.0-5 for
> "regular" cygwin; 5.8.1-something for "test" or "experimental" cygwin)

$ cygcheck.exe -c -h perl
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version
perl                 5.8.0-5
$

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-30 21:11     ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-08-30 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sam Steingold wrote:
> > * In message <3F50F788.8020503@ece.gatech.edu>
> > * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> > * Sent on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:14:16 -0400
> > * Honorable Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:
> >
> > Sam Steingold wrote:
> >
> > > I just noticed that autoconf 2.54-1 writes configure files with DOS
> > > CR/LF line ends!
> > > what's up?!
> > > I check "unix" in "default text file type" setup option and I do not
> > > have any CRs in the configure.in files!
> >
> > autoconf is a perl program.  There were some releases of perl that had
> > a few issues with incorrectly using DOS line endings even on binary
> > mounts.  Try upgrading perl to the most recent release (5.8.0-5 for
> > "regular" cygwin; 5.8.1-something for "test" or "experimental" cygwin)
>
> $ cygcheck.exe -c -h perl
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version
> perl                 5.8.0-5

What's the output of `mount' ?

--
Elfyn McBratney

|                 Software Patents in Europe                 |
| On September 1st 2003 the European Parliment will make a   |
| decision about establishing a new law which would allow    |
| software patents in Europe.  This means that Europe's      |
| programmers and citizens alike could face considerable     |
| risk.                                                      |
| Unlike copyright, patents can block independent creations! |
| Software patents can render software copyright useless.    |
| One copyrighted work can be covered by hundreds of patents |
| of which the author doesn't even know but for whose        |
| infringement he and his users can be sued.  Some of these  |
| patents may be impossible to work around, because they are |
| broad or because they are part of communication standards. |
| What can you do to help?  FFII/Eurolinux are organising    |
| activities in and near the parliment to bring about an     |
| interdisciplinary discussion in a field which has for too  |
| long been dominated by industrial patent lawyers.          |

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-30 21:24       ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-08-30 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> * In message <20030830203648.GN614@emcb.co.uk>
> * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> * Sent on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:36:48 +0100
> * Honorable Elfyn McBratney <elfyn@cygwin.com> writes:
>
> Sam Steingold wrote:
> > > * In message <3F50F788.8020503@ece.gatech.edu>
> > > * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> > > * Sent on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:14:16 -0400
> > > * Honorable Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> writes:

> > > autoconf is a perl program.  There were some releases of perl that had
> > > a few issues with incorrectly using DOS line endings even on binary
> > > mounts.  Try upgrading perl to the most recent release (5.8.0-5 for
> > > "regular" cygwin; 5.8.1-something for "test" or "experimental" cygwin)
> >
> > $ cygcheck.exe -c -h perl
> > Cygwin Package Information
> > Package              Version
> > perl                 5.8.0-5
>
> What's the output of `mount' ?

d:\gnu\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type user (binmode)
d:\gnu\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
d:\gnu\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
d:\gnu\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
main(a){a="main(a){a=%c%s%c;printf(a,34,a,34);}";printf(a,34,a,34);}

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-30 23:43         ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-08-30 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sam Steingold wrote:
> > * In message <20030830203648.GN614@emcb.co.uk>
> > * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> > * Sent on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:36:48 +0100
> > * Honorable Elfyn McBratney <foo@bar> writes:

Thanks for addressing me as honorable, but please don't quote my e-mail address.

> > > $ cygcheck.exe -c -h perl
> > > Cygwin Package Information
> > > Package              Version
> > > perl                 5.8.0-5
> >
> > What's the output of `mount' ?
>
> d:\gnu\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type user (binmode)
> d:\gnu\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
> d:\gnu\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
> d:\gnu\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
> c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
> d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)

Does running, say

  $ PERLIO=raw autoconf

help at all?

--

@ 2003-08-30 23:50           ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-08-30 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> * In message <20030830211707.GQ614@emcb.co.uk>
> * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> * Sent on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:17:07 +0100
> * Honorable Elfyn McBratney <...> writes:
>
> Sam Steingold wrote:
> > > * Honorable Elfyn McBratney <foo@bar> writes:
>
> Thanks for addressing me as honorable, but please don't quote my
> e-mail address.

your e-mail address is in the header!

> > > What's the output of `mount' ?
> >
> > d:\gnu\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type user (binmode)
> > d:\gnu\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
> > d:\gnu\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
> > d:\gnu\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
> > c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
> > d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
>
> Does running, say
>
>   $ PERLIO=raw autoconf
>
> help at all?

this fixed the problem completely.
now, why isn't this the default?
as I said above, my default file type is unix!

thanks a lot!

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
char*a="char*a=%c%s%c;main(){printf(a,34,a,34);}";main(){printf(a,34,a,34);}

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-31  2:09             ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-08-31  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sam Steingold wrote:
> > * In message <20030830211707.GQ614@emcb.co.uk>
> > * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> > * Sent on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:17:07 +0100
> > * Honorable Elfyn McBratney <...> writes:

> > Thanks for addressing me as honorable, but please don't quote my
> > e-mail address.
>
> your e-mail address is in the header!

No, I think not.  You replied to my message; with my e-mail address "attached"
to your reply, either by you or your MUA.  Ala food for harvesters.

> > > [...]
> > > d:\gnu\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type user (binmode)
> > > d:\gnu\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
> > > d:\gnu\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
> > > d:\gnu\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
> > > c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
> > > d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
> >
> > Does running, say
> >
> >   $ PERLIO=raw autoconf
> >
> > help at all?
>
> this fixed the problem completely.
> now, why isn't this the default?
> as I said above, my default file type is unix!

This is a defficiency in (current?) Cygwin perl, which AFAIK, was fixed in the latest
release.  As a temporary fix, export the above variable in /etc/profile or system
wide (from within Windows).

--

@ 2003-08-31  2:36               ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-08-31  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> * In message <20030830234709.GR614@emcb.co.uk>
> * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> * Sent on Sun, 31 Aug 2003 00:47:09 +0100
> * Honorable Elfyn McBratney <...> writes:
>
> Sam Steingold wrote:
> > your e-mail address is in the header!
>
> No, I think not.  You replied to my message; with my e-mail address
> "attached" to your reply, either by you or your MUA.

I replied to your message on gmane.os.cygwin using nntp.
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin:36185>
your e-mail address appeared in clear.

> Ala food for harvesters.
this is overrated.

> > > Does running, say
> > >   $ PERLIO=raw autoconf
> > > help at all?
> >
> > this fixed the problem completely.
> > now, why isn't this the default?
> > as I said above, my default file type is unix!
>
> This is a defficiency in (current?) Cygwin perl, which AFAIK, was
> fixed in the latest release.  As a temporary fix, export the above
> variable in /etc/profile or system wide (from within Windows).

thanks.
let us hope it will be fixed soon...

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
When you are arguing with an idiot, your opponent is doing the same.

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-31 20:33         ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-08-31 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: cygwin

Hallo Sam,

you wrote this:
>> I just noticed that autoconf 2.54-1 writes configure files with DOS
>> CR/LF line ends!
>> what's up?!

and that:

Elfyn wrote:
>> What's the output of `mount' ?

and you again:
> d:\gnu\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type user (binmode)
> d:\gnu\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
> d:\gnu\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
> d:\gnu\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
> c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
> d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)

Hmmm, this is strange.  Are you sure you used the perl from
perl-5.8.0-5 and you don't have another perl in /usr/local or
s.th. other weird?  Anyway I'll try to reproduce it now, after
I finished my Sunday Cygwin update.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-08-31 22:01           ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-08-31 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Gerrit,

> * In message <1891321660.20030831203903@familiehaase.de>
> * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> * Sent on Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:39:03 +0200
> * Honorable "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> writes:
>
> you wrote this:
> >> I just noticed that autoconf 2.54-1 writes configure files with DOS
> >> CR/LF line ends!
> >> what's up?!
>
> and that:
>
> Elfyn wrote:
> >> What's the output of `mount' ?
>
> and you again:
> > d:\gnu\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type user (binmode)
> > d:\gnu\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
> > d:\gnu\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
> > d:\gnu\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
> > c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
> > d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
>

> Hmmm, this is strange.  Are you sure you used the perl from
> perl-5.8.0-5 and you don't have another perl in /usr/local or
> s.th. other weird?  Anyway I'll try to reproduce it now, after I
> finished my Sunday Cygwin update.

me being a perl-hater :-), you can hardly expect me to harbor some
non-standard perl.

$ which perl
/usr/bin/perl
$ for d in `echo $PATH|tr ': ' ' _'` ; do ls "`echo $d|tr '_' ' '`"/perl.*; done
ls: /usr/local/bin/perl.*: No such file or directory
  16 /usr/bin/perl.exe*
  16 /bin/perl.exe*
ls: /usr/local/bin/perl.*: No such file or directory
  16 /usr/bin/perl.exe*
  16 /bin/perl.exe*
ls: /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/WINNT/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/matlab6p5/bin/win32/perl.*: No such file or directory
  16 /usr/bin/perl.exe*
  16 /USR/BIN/perl.exe*
ls: /USR/LOCAL/BIN/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/BIN/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/COMMON/MSDEV98/BIN/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /usr/X11R6/bin/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/bin/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/d/gnu/ImageMagick/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/msvs/vc98/bin/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/MICROS~4/Common/MSDev98/Bin/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/MICROS~4/Common/Tools/WinNT/perl.*: No such file or directory
ls: /cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/MICROS~4/Common/Tools/perl.*: No such file or directory
$

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Please wait, MS Windows are preparing the blue screen of death.

* RE: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-09-01  5:57             ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2003-09-01  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> me being a perl-hater :-), you can hardly expect me to harbor some
> non-standard perl.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO *BE* A PERL HATER!  You see, in this world there's two
kinds of people, my friend: Those who love Perl, and those who learn to love
Perl.  You learn to love Perl.

http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=3535&sound=243

;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* RE: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-09-01  9:33               ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-01  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Gary R. Van Sickle

> IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO *BE* A PERL HATER!  You see, in this world
> there's two
> kinds of people, my friend: Those who love Perl, and those who
> learn to love
> Perl.  You learn to love Perl.
>
> http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=3535&sound=243
>
> ;-)

 Hrm... Every scripting language has its advantages; currently I believe
Perl
has one advantage that has very much resemblance of the situation in the
operating systems market - no names necessary IMO.

My 'baby' is "REXX"
(regina on sourceforge is a GPL?/free variant. Check http://www.rexxla.org/)
I'll be playing with regina RSN(tm). It _compiles_ OOTB on cygwin.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems - 59?16.37'N,
17?12.60'E
--END OF MESSAGE--

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-09-01  9:58             ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-09-01  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Sam,

you wrote this:
>> I just noticed that autoconf 2.54-1 writes configure files with DOS
>> CR/LF line ends!
>> what's up?!

>> and that:

>> Hmmm, this is strange.  Are you sure you used the perl from
>> perl-5.8.0-5 and you don't have another perl in /usr/local or
>> s.th. other weird?  Anyway I'll try to reproduce it now, after I
>> finished my Sunday Cygwin update.

> me being a perl-hater :-), you can hardly expect me to harbor some
> non-standard perl.

Ok.  But I'm sorry cannot reproduce it here.  I have also all binmode
mounts like you.

$ set | grep PERL

gives no output, so no PERL or PERLIO settings in my environment, see
also perl -V output below for my environment settings which may
influence these things.

though autoconf is newer, but I don't think that another autoconf makes
any difference:

$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.

$ perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=cygwin, osvers=1.3.22(0.7832), archname=cygwin-multi-64int
    uname='cygwin_nt-5.0 ismene 1.3.22(0.7832) 2003-03-18 09:20 i586 unknown unknown cygwin '
    config_args='-de -Dmksymlinks -Dusemultiplicity -Duse64bitint -Doptimize=-O3 -Dman3ext=3pm'
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=define
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=y, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='gcc', ccflags ='-DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fno-strict-aliasing',
    optimize='-O3',
    cppflags='-DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fno-strict-aliasing'
    ccversion='', gccversion='3.2 20020927 (prerelease)', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=4
    alignbytes=8, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='ld2', ldflags =' -s -L/usr/local/lib'
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /lib
    libs=-lgdbm -ldb -lcrypt -lutil -lgdbm_compat
    perllibs=-lcrypt -lutil -lgdbm_compat
    libc=/usr/lib/libc.a, so=dll, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.a
    gnulibc_version=''
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=dll, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' -s'
    cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags=' -s -L/usr/local/lib'

  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
  Built under cygwin
  Compiled at Aug 29 2003 12:06:59
  %ENV:
    CYGWIN="binmode tty ntsec notitle"
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    .

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-09-01 13:40               ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-09-01 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> * In message <NCBBIHCHBLCMLBLOBONKKEECEIAA.g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net>
> * On the subject of "RE: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> * Sent on Mon, 1 Sep 2003 00:57:25 -0500
> * Honorable "Gary R. Van Sickle" <g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
> > me being a perl-hater :-), you can hardly expect me to harbor some
> > non-standard perl.
>
> IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO *BE* A PERL HATER!  You see, in this world
> there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those who love Perl, and those
> who learn to love Perl.  You learn to love Perl.

1. I did love perl long ago, before I saw that it has brain-dead design.
   <http://www.podval.org/~sds/tool.html>
   I am at the next stage now - I graduated to Lisp.

2. _PLEASE_ let us not pollute this list with language wars.
   if you feel that you _must_ speak up, please do so in a private
   e-mail,

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Sex is like air.  It's only a big deal if you can't get any.

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-09-02 12:41                 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-09-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Sam,

the real information about your perl version is displayed via
`perl -V` (capital V):

  Built under cygwin
  Compiled at Sep  1 2003 15:23:12

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-09-02 15:17                   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-09-02 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello Gerrit,

> * In message <1913125524.20030902144112@familiehaase.de>
> * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> * Sent on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:41:12 +0200
> * Honorable "Gerrit P. Haase" <freeweb@nyckelpiga.de> writes:
>
> the real information about your perl version is displayed via
> `perl -V` (capital V):

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=cygwin, osvers=1.3.22(0.7832), archname=cygwin-multi-64int
    uname='cygwin_nt-5.0 ismene 1.3.22(0.7832) 2003-03-18 09:20 i586 unknown unknown cygwin '
    config_args='-de -Dmksymlinks -Dusemultiplicity -Duse64bitint -Doptimize=-O3 -Dman3ext=3pm'
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=define
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=y, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='gcc', ccflags ='-DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fno-strict-aliasing',
    optimize='-O3',
    cppflags='-DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV -fno-strict-aliasing'
    ccversion='', gccversion='3.2 20020927 (prerelease)', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=12345678
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=4
    alignbytes=8, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='ld2', ldflags =' -s -L/usr/local/lib'
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /lib
    libs=-lgdbm -ldb -lcrypt -lutil -lgdbm_compat
    perllibs=-lcrypt -lutil -lgdbm_compat
    libc=/usr/lib/libc.a, so=dll, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.a
    gnulibc_version=''
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=dll, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' -s'
    cccdlflags=' ', lddlflags=' -s -L/usr/local/lib'

  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
  Built under cygwin
  Compiled at Aug 29 2003 12:06:59
  %ENV:
    PERLIO="raw"
    CYGWIN=""
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    .

following a recomendation on this list, I 'export PERLIO="raw"' in
/etc/profile.

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Daddy, what does "format disk c: complete" mean?

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-09-02 19:41                     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-09-02 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: Gerrit @ cygwin

Hallo Sam,

>> the real information about your perl version is displayed via
>> `perl -V` (capital V):

> Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
>   Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
>   Built under cygwin
>   Compiled at Aug 29 2003 12:06:59
>   %ENV:
>     PERLIO="raw"
>     CYGWIN=""
>   @INC:
>     /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int
>     /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
>     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/cygwin-multi-64int
>     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
>     /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
>     .

> following a recomendation on this list, I 'export PERLIO="raw"' in
> /etc/profile.

But it shouldn't be neccessary to avoid CR/LF line endings.

You have exactly the 5.8.0-5 release.  Really interesting.

./myconfig
  Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
  Built under cygwin
  Compiled at Aug 29 2003 12:06:59
  %ENV:
    CYGWIN="ntsec binmode tty nowinsymlinks"

I don't need to set PERLIO and get no CR/LF line endings.
Can you try if it makes a difference if you set CYGWIN in
your global environment like I do, though at least binmode
and ntsec are on by default?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files
@ 2003-09-03 17:01                       ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-09-03 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> * In message <13574142130.20030902214650@familiehaase.de>
> * On the subject of "Re: autoconf 2.54-1 writes dos files"
> * Sent on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:46:50 +0200
> * Honorable "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> writes:
>
> I don't need to set PERLIO and get no CR/LF line endings.

Me neither. :-)
Apparently, I needed to reboot for the new perl installation to take
effect.  Yuk.

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Flying is not dangerous; crashing is.