* TIOCSTI or workaround?
@ 2017-06-26  3:58 Greywolf
From: Greywolf @ 2017-06-26  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings,

I have a program I've writ which takes input and types on to other
terminals; however, it seems that under Cygwin, TIOCSTI on a file
descriptor doesn't work according to plan -- I get "Invalid argument",
but I don't know why.

Did a read on ioctl, and saw something about POSIX STREAMS.  I thought
that paradigm had died a mean nasty ugly death YEARS back, but I'm
hoping that's entirely beside the point.

Does there exist a way to successfully call

	ioctl(fd, TIOCSTI, (char *)cp)

or is there a workaround?
--
				--*greywolf;

* Re: TIOCSTI or workaround?
@ 2017-06-26  4:04 ` Greywolf
From: Greywolf @ 2017-06-26  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-06-25 20:58, Greywolf wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a program I've writ which takes input and types on to other
> terminals; however, it seems that under Cygwin, TIOCSTI on a file
> descriptor doesn't work according to plan -- I get "Invalid argument",
> but I don't know why.
>
> Did a read on ioctl, and saw something about POSIX STREAMS.  I thought
> that paradigm had died a mean nasty ugly death YEARS back, but I'm
> hoping that's entirely beside the point.
>
> Does there exist a way to successfully call
>
>      ioctl(fd, TIOCSTI, (char *)cp)
>
> or is there a workaround?

Addendum:

I used the "standard" TIOCSTI definition of:

#define TIOCSTI	0x5214

[or whatever it is, under Linux -- can't check right now].  Perhaps it
is just that IOCTL directive which is out of whack.  Basic conceptual
question still stands...

--
				--*greywolf;

* Re: TIOCSTI or workaround?
@ 2017-06-26  8:51   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2017-06-26  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 25 21:04, Greywolf wrote:
> On 2017-06-25 20:58, Greywolf wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have a program I've writ which takes input and types on to other
> > terminals; however, it seems that under Cygwin, TIOCSTI on a file
> > descriptor doesn't work according to plan -- I get "Invalid argument",
> > but I don't know why.
> >
> > Did a read on ioctl, and saw something about POSIX STREAMS.  I thought
> > that paradigm had died a mean nasty ugly death YEARS back, but I'm
> > hoping that's entirely beside the point.
> >
> > Does there exist a way to successfully call
> >
> >      ioctl(fd, TIOCSTI, (char *)cp)
> >
> > or is there a workaround?
>
> Addendum:
>
> I used the "standard" TIOCSTI definition of:
>
> #define TIOCSTI	0x5214

That can't work.  ioctl codes are platform specific.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2017-06-26  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)