* Re: Win98se and using SSHD as a TRUE service
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 GregHolmes
From: GregHolmes @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GVillemure; +Cc: cygwin

"Gerald Villemure" <GVillemure@ik.ca> wrote:

>Am I realy the only one that wants to use SSHD and Cygwin on Win9x
>platforms?

No, you're not the only one ;)

>Unfortunatly I am a sysadmin, I am not a developer and >I don't have the skillset to fix this bug/problem
>myself.

Nor do I, unfortunately.

-Greg
gregholmes@aol.com

* Re: Win98se and using SSHD as a TRUE service
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Gerald Villemure
From: Gerald Villemure @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, JAmes Coleman

The idea here is to have SSHD start as a true service in Win9x such that it
will NOT dies when a user logs out.  To do this the process must make the
system call "RegisterServiceProcess" which only exist in Win95, Win98 and
WinMe.

James Coleman:  I tryied adding the #include "windows.h" line but I still
have compile errors:

$ make
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized -I. -I.. -I. -I./..  -DH
AVE_CONFIG_H -c daemon.c
daemon.c: In function `daemon':
daemon.c:67: parse error before `kerneldll'
daemon.c:68: `kerneldll' undeclared (first use in this function)
daemon.c:68: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
daemon.c:68: for each function it appears in.)
daemon.c:72: parse error before `('
daemon.c:73: `RegisterService' undeclared (first use in this function)
daemon.c:79: `RegisterService' used prior to declaration
daemon.c:79: warning: implicit declaration of function `RegisterService'
make: *** [daemon.o] Error 1

The source is at the end of this email.

The problem may be easy to spot but its beyond me.

I am trying to fix the right file for this right?

Thanks for any help,
Gérald

From: Gerald Villemure @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JAmes Coleman; +Cc: cygwin

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 03:18:43AM +0100, Gerald Villemure wrote:
>         switch (fork()) {
>         case -1:
>                 return (-1);
>         case 0:
>                 break;
>         default:
> #ifdef HAVE_CYGWIN
>                 /*
>                  * This sleep avoids a race condition which kills the
>                  * child process if parent is started by a NT/W2K service.
>                  */
>                 sleep(1);
>
>                 /*
>                  * This is the code that I took from WinVNC
>                  * The best solution would be to enclose this in a IF Win9x
> clause
>                  * that is if I knew propers C syntax I could do this
>                  */
>
>                         // Obtain a handle to the kernel library
>                         HINSTANCE kerneldll = LoadLibrary("KERNEL32.DLL");
>                         if (kerneldll == NULL)
>                                 break;
>
>                         // And find the RegisterServiceProcess function
>                         DWORD (*RegisterService)(DWORD, DWORD);
>                         RegisterService = (DWORD (*)(DWORD, DWORD))
>                                 GetProcAddress(kerneldll,
> "RegisterServiceProcess");
>                         if (RegisterService == NULL)
>                                 break;
>
>                         // Register this process with the OS as a service!
>                         RegisterService(NULL, 1);
>

> #endif

You added the code to the parent's branch.  It's the child which
has to register as service.  Move the code (not the sleep(!))
to the `case 0:' branch, right before the `break;'.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Win98se and using SSHD as a TRUE service
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 JAmes Coleman
From: JAmes Coleman @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, GVillemure

@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` JAmes Coleman
From: JAmes Coleman @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Villemure; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Gerald,

Gerald Villemure wrote:

> The idea here is to have SSHD start as a true service in Win9x such that it
> will NOT dies when a user logs out.  To do this the process must make the
> system call "RegisterServiceProcess" which only exist in Win95, Win98 and
> WinMe.
>
> James Coleman:  I tryied adding the #include "windows.h" line but I still
> have compile errors:
>
> $ make
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized -I. -I.. -I. -I./..  -DH
> AVE_CONFIG_H -c daemon.c
> daemon.c: In function `daemon':
> daemon.c:67: parse error before `kerneldll'
> daemon.c:68: `kerneldll' undeclared (first use in this function)
> daemon.c:68: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> daemon.c:68: for each function it appears in.)
> daemon.c:72: parse error before `('
> daemon.c:73: `RegisterService' undeclared (first use in this function)
> daemon.c:79: `RegisterService' used prior to declaration
> daemon.c:79: warning: implicit declaration of function `RegisterService'
> make: *** [daemon.o] Error 1

I had a go at compiling what you sent, obviously I can't compile it
properly
 but I can test the syntax anyway.
 I just had to remove #include "includes.h"
 For me, gcc version 2.9-cygwin-990830, I got similar errors to you and
others
 which I got rid of by fixing includes ... (except for one).

daemon.c: In function `daemon':
daemon.c:82: parse error before `kerneldll'
daemon.c:83: `kerneldll' undeclared (first use in this function)
daemon.c:83: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
daemon.c:83: for each function it appears in.)
daemon.c:87: parse error before `('
daemon.c:88: `RegisterService' undeclared (first use in this function)
daemon.c:95: `RegisterService' used prior to declaration
daemon.c:95: warning: implicit declaration of function `RegisterService'
daemon.c:108: `_PATH_DEVNULL' undeclared (first use in this function)

(I add the following includes)
//#include <includes.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
     #include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
     #include <sys/stat.h>
     #include <fcntl.h>
#define HAVE_CYGWIN

ANYWAY

Two things .... (possibly caused by command line options?)

  1. compiler doesn't like // comments

  2. compiler doesn't like declaration of variables except at start of
function

The following compiles okay for me (with only the one error I introduced
which you shouldn't have)

int
daemon(nochdir, noclose)
        int nochdir, noclose;
{
        int fd;
        HINSTANCE kerneldll;

        }

        if (setsid() == -1)
                return (-1);

        if (!nochdir)
                (void)chdir("/");

        if (!noclose && (fd = open(_PATH_DEVNULL, O_RDWR, 0)) != -1) {
                (void)dup2(fd, STDIN_FILENO);
                (void)dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO);
                (void)dup2(fd, STDERR_FILENO);
                if (fd > 2)
                        (void)close (fd);
        }
        return (0);
}

> The source is at the end of this email.
>
> The problem may be easy to spot but its beyond me.

I can help a bit with C and a little with cygwin but I don't do all that
much
cygwin+windows programming.   Hopefully this is useful.

> I am trying to fix the right file for this right?

:)

That's a very good question .... and I really don't know the answer to
it :-7

Last time I played with services was on msdos5.something!

> Thanks for any help,
> Gérald

Good Luck!

JAmes.

* Re: Win98se and using SSHD as a TRUE service
@ 2001-11-09 10:26   ` Gerald Villemure
From: Gerald Villemure @ 2001-11-09 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I tried adding this code I grabbed from the VNC source:

  // Obtain a handle to the kernel library
  HINSTANCE kerneldll = LoadLibrary("KERNEL32.DLL");
  if (kerneldll == NULL)
     break;

  // And find the RegisterServiceProcess function
  DWORD (*RegisterService)(DWORD, DWORD);
  RegisterService = (DWORD (*)(DWORD, DWORD))
     GetProcAddress(kerneldll, "RegisterServiceProcess");
  if (RegisterService == NULL)
     break;

  // Register this process with the OS as a service!
  RegisterService(NULL, 1);

I put this in the file called daemon.c but I am unable to compile.

If I was to guess the problem lies in the fact that you can't mix and match
Win32 code with Unix code.

It looks like porting cygrunsrv to Win95 may be the only solution.

Le me know if there is any other avenue I can try.

Gerald
PS. Are there any open source "service control manager" packages out there?

@ 2001-11-08 21:04 Gerald Villemure
From: Gerald Villemure @ 2001-11-08 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to say that if I knew how to code I would be the first to
volunteer to develope a fix.  At this point I can mostly offer my time as a