* MySql doesn't work in cygwin
@ 2008-06-05 16:10 Berable
From: Berable @ 2008-06-05 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!
I installed mysql 5 from the source(in version 5.0.45,with  ./configure then
make install).Allright, but when I try to lauch  (mysql -u root -p, after
put password)
this error occurs:

"can't connect to local Mysql Server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'"

Bellow, my mysql options in my.cnt

[client]
port  = 3306
socket  = /var/tmp/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
port  = 3306
socket  =  /var/tmp/mysql.sock
datadir  =  /usr/local/mysql/data

I try this configuration to

I'm my file my.cnt I put this:

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
password  = admin
port    = 3306

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port    = 3306

and I try to connect with db:

mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p

So, after the password, this error happen:

Error   2003 (HY000):Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111)

the same occurs if I put host = 127.0.0.1. in the my.cnt and
execute mysql -u root -p

Why this kind of problem happen? Many post in others forum  about this
problem don't help me

But I'm want just use mysql command line in the same way than I use in
windows.

Thank's for help me!

* Re: MySql doesn't work in cygwin
@ 2008-06-05 16:28 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-06-05 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berable; +Cc: cygwin

Berable wrote:

> I installed mysql 5 from the source(in version 5.0.45,with  ./configure then
> make install).Allright, but when I try to lauch  (mysql -u root -p, after
> put password)
> this error occurs:
>
> "can't connect to local Mysql Server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'"

How did you start the server?  Everything that you've said indicates
that you compiled the software and then tried running the client but
without a server running that's never going to achieve anything.

Note that if you want to use the Win32 server you can only use a TCP
socket, not a unix socket, since the Win32 server doesn't have a notion
of a unix domain socket.

Brian

* Re: MySql doesn't work in cygwin
@ 2008-06-05 18:21 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2008-06-05 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

Berable wrote:

> "can't connect to local Mysql Server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'"

[snip]

> socket  = /var/tmp/mysql.sock

Try changing /var/tmp to /tmp.

> Error   2003 (HY000):Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111)

What are the results of this command:

	$ netstat -na |grep LISTEN

Do you see anything listening on port 3306?

> But I'm want just use mysql command line

My suggestion -- as one who has fought with this in the past -- is to
just use the native Windows port, from mysql.com.  If you really need a
Cygwin client, you can pass flags to MySQL's configure script to build
only the client stuff.  You can then use the resulting mysql program and
libmysqlclient library to connect to the native Windows server.

* Re: MySql doesn't work in cygwin
@ 2008-06-05 19:17   ` Berable
From: Berable @ 2008-06-05 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young wrote:

> Berable wrote:
>>
>> "can't connect to local Mysql Server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'"
>
> [snip]
>
>> socket  = /var/tmp/mysql.sock
>
> Try changing /var/tmp to /tmp.
>
>> Error   2003 (HY000):Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111)
>
> What are the results of this command:
>
> 	$ netstat -na |grep LISTEN
>
> Do you see anything listening on port 3306?
>
>> But I'm want just use mysql command line
>
> My suggestion -- as one who has fought with this in the past -- is to
> just use the native Windows port, from mysql.com.  If you really need a
> Cygwin client, you can pass flags to MySQL's configure script to build
> only the client stuff.  You can then use the resulting mysql program and
> libmysqlclient library to connect to the native Windows server.
>
> --

I can access the my mysql running in windows from cygwin, instead of mysql
that I have installed in cygwin environment?

How can I do this? I prefer this way... but I'm newbie in this
subject....rssss

Thank's

* Re: MySql doesn't work in cygwin
@ 2008-06-05 20:15     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2008-06-05 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

Please keep replies on the mailing list.

Berable wrote:

> I can access the my mysql running in windows from cygwin, instead of mysql
> that I have installed in cygwin environment?
>
> How can I do this? I prefer this way... but I'm newbie in this
> subject....rssss

If you install the Windows port of the MySQL server from mysql.com, that
will include the "mysql" command line program.  You can use that from
the Cygwin command line.  If that's all you need, you don't need any
special Cygwin support.

If you need to develop Cygwin programs that act as MySQL clients, see
README-Cygwin.txt in the MySQL++ distribution for instructions on how to
build a Cygwin version of libmysqlclient:

	http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/

Those instructions are valid even if you don't use MySQL++.

* Re: MySql doesn't work in cygwin
@ 2008-06-06  4:18       ` Berable
From: Berable @ 2008-06-06  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

But I have now this error

ERROR 2005 (HY000): Unknown MySQL server host 127.0.0.1 (1)

So , when I try start the server...another drug :

PC@BERAS:mysql$ ./mysql.server start
Starting MySQL..../mysql.server: line 159: kill: (3208) - No such process
 ERROR!

I'll to forgive with cygwin for Rails development,

In the end of tunnel Ubuntu stay waiting....rssssss

I'll use instant rails and mysql on windows

Thank's so much for help me  guys