* Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-04 19:16 Philip Daniels
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Philip Daniels @ 2014-08-04 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

A while ago I asked a question on Stack Overflow about doing a basic
install task with cygport, but got no answers. Too esoteric perhaps. I
think it should be easy for anyone who knows cygport, it's a basic "copy
some files to a known location" task.

Can anyone help?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24789907/installing-some-files-into-usr-share-with-cygport-cygwin-packaging-utility

--
Philip Daniels.

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-04 21:28 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2014-08-04 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 08:16:13PM +0100, Philip Daniels wrote:
> A while ago I asked a question on Stack Overflow about doing a basic
> install task with cygport, but got no answers. Too esoteric perhaps. I
> think it should be easy for anyone who knows cygport, it's a basic "copy
> some files to a known location" task.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24789907/installing-some-files-into-usr-share-with-cygport-cygwin-packaging-utility

I'm not sufficiently familiar with Cygport to answer, but I suspect
you'll have better luck if you ask your question rather than linking to
somewhere else where you ask your question.

Help us to help you: give us the information we need to answer your
question (and as little excess information as possible) without making
us do extra work (and yes, following a link is too much extra work for a
lot of folk when the support you're getting is free).

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-04 22:49 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-08-04 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2014-08-04 14:16, Philip Daniels wrote:
> A while ago I asked a question on Stack Overflow about doing a basic
> install task with cygport, but got no answers. Too esoteric perhaps.

Support is only provided (as best we can) through the mailing lists here
on cygwin.com.  Advice provided through third-party channels is likely
to be erroneous.

> I think it should be easy for anyone who knows cygport, it's a basic "copy
> some files to a known location" task.

In this particular case, I would suggest just using a git snapshot of
your forked repository; see git.cygclass in the cygport manual for details.

Yaakov

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  1:23   ` Steven Penny
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-08-05  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> Advice provided through third-party channels is likely to be erroneous.

This is highly presumptuous. I have asked 10 questions and given 68 answers on
Stack Overflow, you calling those likely to be erroneous?

http://stackoverflow.com/users/1002260

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  1:47     ` Richard Troy
From: Richard Troy @ 2014-08-05  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Penny; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Steven Penny wrote:

...snip...

> This is highly presumptuous. I have asked 10 questions and given 68 answers on

... This list has had a long history of having a somewhat different
attitude - culture, if you will - than you might find elsewhere on the
net; some might call it ascerbic. However, the deeper point is that if you
want help here, fitting in with the culture you find here is the way to
go. The REAL issue isn't how good or bad whatever else is, it's that
people are busy and have the view, "help me help you", and "I only help
people who have shown they are trying", however that's expressed, and
that's reasonable enough.

In this case, a reasonable translation of the comment you elicited would
be: "I'm too busy to go click somewhere else; you want to solicit my help
for free, make it easy for me." The insult of others was unfortunate.

I for one wish people would lighten up; if you don't want to help, don't,
but telling other people off about it is not useful; you could have helped
the person by doing those other things (like looking at stackoverflow)
using less energy than you spent being abrasive. Thankfully, the "rough
attitude" is not held by everyone, though it sometimes has been seen in
people who carry platinum watches - and that might encourage its
continuation...

BTW, if I knew how to contribute more than just explaining the culture, I
would...

Good luck to everyone,
Richard

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  2:07       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-08-05  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 8:55 PM, Richard Troy wrote:
> you could have helped the person by doing those other things (like looking at
> stackoverflow) using less energy than you spent being abrasive.

Hey bro, what the hell are you talking about? *I* made one comment, which was
this

> This is highly presumptuous. I have asked 10 questions and given 68 answers on
> Stack Overflow, you calling those likely to be erroneous?

I talking talking to Yaakov, which I presume you were trying to also. If you
want to talk to someone it helps to quote them.

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  2:53       ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-08-05  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/04/2014 09:55 PM, Richard Troy wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Steven Penny wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>>> Advice provided through third-party channels is likely to be erroneous.

(Sorry Richard, I added Yaakov's response above back in so I could make a
  comment about it in context.)

Generally speaking, this list tends to frown on folks using sources for
Cygwin information other than the Cygwin site and this list.  The reason
is simple.  The Cygwin site is the place that provides resources about
Cygwin for Cygwin users, including this email list.  It is where many
Cygwin experts "hang out". It makes sense that if someone is looking for
some information about Cygwin, going to the site that distributes it and
consulting the experts there is likely to get one more and better
information than consulting other, unrelated sites and sources.  That said,
there are certainly other sites, like Stack Overflow, that attract
knowledgeable Cygwin users.  Given that, it's always possible and perhaps
even likely that the information elicited from other sites about Cygwin is
useful, helpful, and correct.  There have, however, been times in the past
where this hasn't been true and consumers of this third-party information
have subsequently come to this list looking for further help after following
some incorrect information from other sites.  The long-standing view of
the Cygwin list supporters has been simply that this list cannot possibly
maintain or support all the various sources of Cygwin information that
exist on the many sites out there.  We must, therefore, strongly recommend
consulting the Cygwin site and list for all things Cygwin, as this is what
we _can_ support.  This is our attempt to minimize any incorrect information
out there from propagating and causing confusions.  We try to make our
intent on this subject as clear as possible whenever misinformation is
brought to our attention to avoid further confusion.  With some luck,
I've done so here.

Please note, none of the statements I just made are an attempt on my part to
change Yaakov's words or opinions, whether his response above represents
the totality of his view on this subject or not.  His words are his own and
I respect that.

<snip>

> Thankfully, the "rough attitude"
> is not held by everyone, though it sometimes has been seen in people who
> carry platinum watches - and that might encourage its continuation...

I like platinum watches.  Platinum watches are friends of mine.  You sir,
are no platinum watch.

:-D

(I'm afraid I'm dating myself with my "artist's interpretation" of this
  quote -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you%27re_no_Jack_Kennedy#Transcript).

<snip>

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-08-05  3:04     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-08-05  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 05/08/2014 03:23, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> Advice provided through third-party channels is likely to be erroneous.
>
> This is highly presumptuous. I have asked 10 questions and given 68 answers on
> Stack Overflow, you calling those likely to be erroneous?
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/users/1002260

Steve,
in this specific case Yaakov is likely very right.

Cygport is a specific cygwin tool for creating cygwin package.
As such the user base, I suspect, is limited to around ~ 20 people
between those mentioned here:
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

As Yaakov is the cygport author and the main user, his support is
the definitive resource ;-)

Regards
Marco

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  3:17         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-08-05  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  3:20         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-08-05  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/4/2014 7:52 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>> Thankfully, the "rough attitude"
>> is not held by everyone, though it sometimes has been seen in people who
>> carry platinum watches - and that might encourage its continuation...
>
> I like platinum watches.  Platinum watches are friends of mine.  You sir,
> are no platinum watch.
>
> :-D
>
> (I'm afraid I'm dating myself with my "artist's interpretation" of this
>   quote -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you%27re_no_Jack_Kennedy#Transcript).

What's a "watch"? ;-)
--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  3:41           ` Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2014-08-05  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 9:17 PM, Andrew DeFaria <> wrote:
> On 8/4/2014 7:52 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>
>>> Thankfully, the "rough attitude"
>>> is not held by everyone, though it sometimes has been seen in people who
>>> carry platinum watches - and that might encourage its continuation...
>>

>> I like platinum watches.  Platinum watches are friends of mine.  You sir,
>> are no platinum watch.
>>
>> :-D
>>
>> (I'm afraid I'm dating myself with my "artist's interpretation" of this
>>   quote -
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you%27re_no_Jack_Kennedy#Transcript).
>

> What's a "watch"? ;-)

See https://cygwin.com/goldstars/ where gold stars, gold watches and a
platinum watch are awarded to distinguished contributors to the cygwin
project. Without the contribution of these folks, this community would
be a much poorer place.

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  4:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-08-05  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Penny, cygwin

Greetings, Steven Penny!

>> Advice provided through third-party channels is likely to be erroneous.

> This is highly presumptuous.

It is time-proven.

> I have asked 10 questions and given 68 answers on
> Stack Overflow, you calling those likely to be erroneous?

Nobody care. Really. Noone going to recheck your answers to see is they are
relevant to the current Cygwin realities. Which is a part of issue.
Cygwin is evolving, and answers found all around the internet, copypasted for
years without even little thinking, are going to be useless (at best!) at one
point in future. At worst, they would be disastrous.
The only place where you can get actual (as in "relevant to the current state
of the project") support is this mailing list. Or cygwin-xfree, if your
question is X-relevant.

No offence intended. Just a point.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  5:17       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-08-05  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Nobody care. Really. Noone going to recheck your answers to see is they are
> relevant to the current Cygwin realities. Which is a part of issue.
> Cygwin is evolving, and answers found all around the internet, copypasted for
> years without even little thinking, are going to be useless (at best!) at one
> point in future. At worst, they would be disastrous.
> The only place where you can get actual (as in "relevant to the current state
> of the project") support is this mailing list. Or cygwin-xfree, if your
> question is X-relevant.

Hey buddy, why dont you crawl back into your hole. You long winded and baseless
insults toward Stack Overflow and myself show just how out of touch you are.

Why dont do everyone a favor and post something on topic, like an answer to the
OP, or hush?

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  8:00         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-08-05  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug  5 00:17, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > Nobody care. Really. Noone going to recheck your answers to see is they are
> > relevant to the current Cygwin realities. Which is a part of issue.
> > Cygwin is evolving, and answers found all around the internet, copypasted for
> > years without even little thinking, are going to be useless (at best!) at one
> > point in future. At worst, they would be disastrous.
> > The only place where you can get actual (as in "relevant to the current state
> > of the project") support is this mailing list. Or cygwin-xfree, if your
> > question is X-relevant.
>
> Hey buddy, why dont you crawl back into your hole. You long winded and baseless
> insults toward Stack Overflow and myself show just how out of touch you are.
>
> Why dont do everyone a favor and post something on topic, like an answer to the
> OP, or hush?

Steven.  Stop right here.  This list has a WJM history, granted, but
there are borders of shitty attitude which I won't tolerate.  I'm not
going to involve myself into an endless flamewar thread so don't expect
any useless arguing with you.  Rather, make sure that you're staying
more polite or there will be consequences.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  8:17 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Philip Daniels <philip.daniels1971 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> A while ago I asked a question on Stack Overflow about doing a basic
> install task with cygport, but got no answers. Too esoteric perhaps. I
> think it should be easy for anyone who knows cygport, it's a basic "copy
> some files to a known location" task.

It wouldn't hurt to just ask the question again here instead of sending
people off to read it elsewhere.  If you want to track the problem down
yourself, read /usr/share/doc/cygport/manual.html -- then running cygport
with the --debug switch gives you plenty of output to tell you what's going
on when you run the failing commands.  That said, you might look at a
cygport file that uses insinto/doins and adapt it (from gnuplot):

        mkdir -p ${D}/etc/X11/app-defaults
        insinto /etc/X11/app-defaults/Gnuplot
        doins ${D}/usr/share/gnuplot/${myPV_MAJ_MIN}/app-defaults/Gnuplot

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05  8:35         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-08-05  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Penny, cygwin

Greetings, Steven Penny!

> You long winded and baseless insults toward Stack Overflow and myself show
> just how out of touch you are.

I didn't said anything about StackOverflow and/or yourself. If you open your
eyes and read the text you quoted, you'll see it.
And I'm not waving my own stackexchange account like a flag of some sort.

> Why dont do everyone a favor and post something on topic, like an answer to
> the OP, or hush?

When one of twenty people, who can answer your question, see your message and
find time to reply to it, you'll get your answer, if you didn't already.
Meanwhle, please take a note, that when you post a question in mailing list,
you should provide details in the same message, if at all possible. For
continuity of the discussion, and for people, who would be searching the same
question later in the archives. If that's not too much of work for you.

--

@ 2014-08-05 19:04             ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-08-05 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/4/2014 8:41 PM, Doug Henderson wrote:

>>> I like platinum watches.  Platinum watches are friends of mine.  You sir,
>>> are no platinum watch.
>>>
>>> :-D
>>>
>>> (I'm afraid I'm dating myself with my "artist's interpretation" of this
>>>    quote -
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator,_you%27re_no_Jack_Kennedy#Transcript).
>>

>> What's a "watch"? ;-)
>
> See https://cygwin.com/goldstars/ where gold stars, gold watches and a
> platinum watch are awarded to distinguished contributors to the cygwin
> project. Without the contribution of these folks, this community would
> be a much poorer place.

Sorry I was making a joke about the fact that many people don't wear
watches at all anymore.

Move along... Nothing to see here...
--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com

* Re: Basic question about cygport
@ 2014-08-05 19:11               ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-08-05 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/05/2014 03:04 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Sorry I was making a joke about the fact that many people don't wear watches
> at all anymore.

And that dates me again. ;-)

--
Larry